The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

You're thinking of geo-synchronous satellites, if you go from -60 to -20 you've gained +40 potential
Original post by kingaaran
Why is it wrong - you will get the marks if you write 2.7, the brackets are to show examiners what the other significant figure needs to be to ensure candidates have used a valid method.

In response to your second question, they've used the atomic mass unit, not the mass of the proton which is of course correct - on their formula booklet they clearly say u=1.661 x10^(-27)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey do you mind helping me on this question, I know that T^2 is proportional to m/K, but I do not know how to go about this, thanks in advance!
can anyone tell me why the paper is in this style?
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-1-QP-MEP18-JUN13.PDF

it has the same q's as the official june 2013 paper, but it says it modified? its on the official aqa website. just curious as to what it is.
Original post by Charlie1523
Can anyone help with this? thanks http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA41-QP-JUN13.PDF
Question 19

Field lines are going from left to right which indicates the point charge is negative.

With this in mind:

Cannot be A: Electric force would increase as the negative ion comes closer to the negative charge.
Cannot be B: Potential energy is inversely related to r. To the right, r would increase and reduce the potential.
Cannot be C: It stays at the same radius so potential energy is constant.

So its D.
Original post by philo-jitsu
Okay so pretty good with mosr areas now....the only thing im struggling wkth is potentials.

For both grav and electric potentials do two masses or charges interact with each other.....for instance is you were 500km above earths surface and there was no moon your potenital=x ....now if the moon is there what happens to the potential at the same spot?

you'd gain potential, grav potential is scalar not vector

edit: i'v had a think about it and confused myself
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ssel17
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS - Cannot get my head around it at all.

Two satellites P and Q, of equal mass, orbit the Earth at radii R and 2R respectively.Which one of the following statements is correct?
A P has less kinetic energy and more potential energy than Q.
B P has less kinetic energy and less potential energy than Q.
C P has more kinetic energy and less potential energy than Q.
D P has more kinetic energy and more potential energy than Q.

My issue here is surely Q, travelling at a higher radius than P, would have a higher speed and hence more kinetic energy? But that's wrong according to the answer. Also, doesn't the potential decrease at increased distance, or are we including because its minus???

It says potential energy, which is affected according to mgh, so it increases as you increase the distance.

I can just about explain the kinetic energy, I mean I think the explanation is valid: higher R means lower angular velocity, lower angular velocity means lower linear velocity, thus a smaller R means higher linear velocity?

This would be much simpler if we were told they both have the same angular velocity, or just something like that to use, otherwise I just feel like I'm just fiddling the 3 variables to produce the outcome I want without considering the actual Physics
(edited 7 years ago)
if anyone wants, here are my PHYA4 notes :smile:
Original post by micycle
Field lines are going from left to right which indicates the point charge is negative.

With this in mind:

Cannot be A: Electric force would increase as the negative ion comes closer to the negative charge.
Cannot be B: Potential energy is inversely related to r. To the right, r would increase and reduce the potential.
Cannot be C: It stays at the same radius so potential energy is constant.

So its D.

Thank you so much! if its not too much to ask would you mind looking at question 23 for me aswell, thanks again:smile:
Reply 628
Original post by alevelstresss
No, the satellites which orbit closer have higher speed and therefore kinetic energy

Think of it as the further out the satellites are, the higher their potential energy and therefore the lower their kinetic energy

Well looking at the answer tells me that, but why? I don't understand how with a lower radius, they travel at a higher speed.
Original post by ssel17
Well looking at the answer tells me that, but why? I don't understand how with a lower radius, they travel at a higher speed.

Think of kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy as interchangeable.

Satellites which orbit far out have very high GPE, and must therefore have lower KE.
Satellites which orbit close have very low GPE, and therefore must have higher KE.

The satellites orbiting far out travel a greater distance, as d = 2 x pi x radius
Reply 630
Think of kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy as interchangeable.

Satellites which orbit far out have very high GPE, and must therefore have lower KE.
Satellites which orbit close have very low GPE, and therefore must have higher KE.

The satellites orbiting far out travel a greater distance, as d = 2 x pi x radius

Okay, thank you. I think my main issue here is because we are not told whether they have the same time period, I feel we're lacking information to answer the question.
Original post by duncant
can anyone tell me why the paper is in this style?
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-1-QP-MEP18-JUN13.PDF

it has the same q's as the official june 2013 paper, but it says it modified? its on the official aqa website. just curious as to what it is.

I Believe its the visually impaired version
Original post by Charlie1523
Thank you so much! if its not too much to ask would you mind looking at question 23 for me aswell, thanks again:smile:

There isn't a couple because the forces oppose each other.

Therefore it's A.
Reply 633
Original post by WillRose
You're thinking of geo-synchronous satellites, if you go from -60 to -20 you've gained +40 potential

Yeah I sort of get that, I always have a bit of an issue with it because even though it of course is a higher potential, you've lost magnitude, if that makes sense? I struggle to know which they are asking for.
if anyone wants, here are my PHYA4 notes :smile:

Could you pm me your notes please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who's not ready for tomorrow? :eek3:
Original post by Yo12345
Could you pm me your notes please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

didn't i upload them?
Well don't worry guys, i'm here to bring the grade boundaries down for a U so thank me later :')
Original post by J.birdy98
Well don't worry guys, i'm here to bring the grade boundaries down for a U so thank me later :')

Thanks for taking one for the team.
Has anyone got something on all the graphs we need to know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending