The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Economics F585 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

For 10 markers, we only need one thread of detailed L3 analysis to access L4 right? It's not necessary to have 2 L3 threads? (Obviously having 2 won't do any harm but only 1 is required right?)
Reply 461
Original post by coolguy123456
For 10 markers, we only need one thread of detailed L3 analysis to access L4 right? It's not necessary to have 2 L3 threads? (Obviously having 2 won't do any harm but only 1 is required right?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE5SlBfX5y4
I advise everyone to watch these vids
Original post by Pato1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE5SlBfX5y4
I advise everyone to watch these vids

I have watched them, have the model answer pack too. He doesn't mention 1 or 2 threads needed but just "on the one hand detailed analysis" and some of his answers in the model answer pack have 2 threads of "on the one hand" and some have 1 hence the question.
I have watched them, have the model answer pack too. He doesn't mention 1 or 2 threads needed but just "on the one hand detailed analysis" and some of his answers in the model answer pack have 2 threads of "on the one hand" and some have 1 hence the question.

Can you send me the model answer pack via PM pls
How do you structure the answers? My teacher says something for 1st question its definition, 2nd question, Pros 2 points, 3rd question for and against but some people ive seen doing conclusion for the 3rd question??
Also does anyone have any revision notes apart from the ones in the book.
Original post by fpmaniac
Can you send me the model answer pack via PM pls

It is not a PDF, it is a physical booklet so I can't send to anyone.
How do you structure the answers? My teacher says something for 1st question its definition, 2nd question, Pros 2 points, 3rd question for and against but some people ive seen doing conclusion for the 3rd question??

Yeah, comment on questions its better to write a judgement at the end.

I was told you're meant to have 2 reasons for and 2 against and then a conclusion to get the last two marks.

E.g is the question was on remittances and economic growth/development.
For- increase living standards of those receiving the remittances and perhaps boost small scale enterprise

Against- only small proportion of income sent in remittances (something like $100) and brain drain

Conclusion- leads to development and growth but there's still a gap that ODA or FDI can fill in terms of infrastructure

(I know you didn't ask for a full answer thing, but I thought it may help in explaining)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is not a PDF, it is a physical booklet so I can't send to anyone.

Can you take a pic of it and post it on here or something
Reply 470
Hey, guys! I was wondering if someone could reword this in a more sophisticated way for me?

It's for the 20 mark q about supply side reforms and is an evaluative point:
The fact that without AD increasing in time with AS any increase in AS would be ineffective because rGDP would not increase or something?

Any help would be appreciated!
Original post by Todd199
Guys, I want to start a google doc where we can all add ideas for the 20 marker and any other to make sure we all get top marks. If you guy want to do so, let me know :smile:

has this been set up?

Could you please send me the link x
Original post by Lostrider
I was told you're meant to have 2 reasons for and 2 against and then a conclusion to get the last two marks.

E.g is the question was on remittances and economic growth/development.
For- increase living standards of those receiving the remittances and perhaps boost small scale enterprise

Against- only small proportion of income sent in remittances (something like $100) and brain drain

Conclusion- leads to development and growth but there's still a gap that ODA or FDI can fill in terms of infrastructure

(I know you didn't ask for a full answer thing, but I thought it may help in explaining)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i've seen those points on the Remittances essay from Dal and learnt that, but I was just curious as past mark schemes (e.g. the one for 2014) the marking criteria doesn't state number of L3 threads. Just says mark it as low, mid or top L3. Also with the structure you gave on the getting the last 2 marks. As long as you give 2 developed L4 points you can get 10/10. (In essence a judgement could be a developed L4 so same thing in a way) Check out the marking criteria on question 1c in this MS from last year.
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/235708-mark-scheme-unit-f585-the-global-economy-june.pdf

EDIT: Also if you look at the 10 marker from Dal on Extract 2, he only does one thread for L3 hence my curiosity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah i've seen those points on the Remittances essay from Dal and learnt that, but I was just curious as past mark schemes (e.g. the one for 2014) the marking criteria doesn't state number of L3 threads. Just says mark it as low, mid or top L3. Also with the structure you gave on the getting the last 2 marks. As long as you give 2 developed L4 points you can get 10/10. (In essence a judgement could be a developed L4 so same thing in a way) Check out the marking criteria on question 1c in this MS from last year.
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/235708-mark-scheme-unit-f585-the-global-economy-june.pdf

EDIT: Also if you look at the 10 marker from Dal on Extract 2, he only does one thread for L3 hence my curiosity.

Ahh right, I was meant to help you out but you've ended up helping me out lol.

in F583/4 for the eight markers you only need one point on both sides that's developed enough. So do you reckon that applies for ten markers in f585, but with definitions of course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

in F583/4 for the eight markers you only need one point on both sides that's developed enough. So do you reckon that applies for ten markers in f585, but with definitions of course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha yeah sorry my question was just out of curiosity. I think you definitely need 2 developed "On the other hand" points but 1 paragraph of detailed analysis should work. Regardless of if it's weak or strong, it will allow you to access L4 and then it depends on how strong your L4's are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What am I supposed to do with the extracts?? Ive barely annotated them because we didnt have enough time to talk about the extracts and i dont really know what im supposed to do with them tbh. I know you will have to refer to them in the exam but how do i prepare for it.... what stuff do I rememmber/highlight
Original post by Todd199
Guys, I want to start a google doc where we can all add ideas for the 20 marker and any other to make sure we all get top marks. If you guy want to do so, let me know :smile:

If you made this can you send me a link please :smile:
What points would you make in a question like : comment on the extent to which the change in the effective exchange rate index of US dollars will have contributed to the change in the USA's current account deficit
Can you take a pic of it and post it on here or something

I have it but its copyright - if you want it buy it. He took ages making it and wouldnt be fair to post it on here.

Quick Reply