The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SirRaza97
We talk about uniform magnetic fields in our spec so the flux density remains the same at different distances.

Radius = mv / BQ

So the radius is proportional to the velocity. B remains the same at different radii

Yeah I though so, just wanted to check, this caught me out on the june 12 paper question about the LHC.

You have any idea about how gravitational potentials caused by a mass is affected by another mass being added to a system?

Do potentials add or subtract....Im sure Ive seen an MC question like this regarding electric potential
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-2-QP-JUN12.PDF
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-W-MS-JUN12.PDF

Question 1 b) (ii) and (iii)

surely the units here when multiplying kg/s and m/s they would just give you (N) rather than momentum per second (Ns) and they later do for part (iii) where you can see 1.68 is now in newtons?

something small but the units don't make sense to me, any help appreciated
First think which one is more positve and which is more negative relative to each other. Then it's a basic + to - radial ellectric field.

The right one is more positve but idk how to sketch it?
Reply 663
Can someone give me the perfect AQA definition of Gravitaional potential energy please
No problem

Original post by boyyo

Where you said to think about gravitational potential, A says potential energy, so how did you know to use gravitational potential?

by gravitational potential, I mean gravitational potential energy. You are probably wondering why I didnt use Ep=GMm/r, I dont really like that equation. If you use Ep=mgh, when h is higher, Ep is higher. So as you get closer to earth, your Ep falls.

Original post by boyyo

Also even using gravitiational potential, isnt it still inversely proportional to r aswell?

I was on about g=GM/r^2, not g=-change in V/change in r (which is another equation I dont like haha).
Original post by boyyo
Can someone give me the perfect AQA definition of Gravitaional potential energy please

gravitation potential is the work done per unit mass to move a small test mass from infinity to that point in a gravitational field.
Reply 666
Original post by philo-jitsu
Yeah I though so, just wanted to check, this caught me out on the june 12 paper question about the LHC.

You have any idea about how gravitational potentials caused by a mass is affected by another mass being added to a system?

Do potentials add or subtract....Im sure Ive seen an MC question like this regarding electric potential

yh I remember seeing something like that too. I think they add, but the + and - cancel to make them subtract
Reply 667
Original post by duncant
gravitation potential is the work done per unit mass to move a small test mass from infinity to that point in a gravitational field.

Ah ok, what about Gravitational potential energy?
Reply 668
Original post by duncant
No problem

by gravitational potential, I mean gravitational potential energy. You are probably wondering why I didnt use Ep=GMm/r, I dont really like that equation. If you use Ep=mgh, when h is higher, Ep is higher. So as you get closer to earth, your Ep falls.

I was on about g=GM/r^2, not g=-change in V/change in r (which is another equation I dont like haha).

lol ok i get you now. Just another quick question, can you use Ep=mgh, when its over large distances?
does anyone have a list of units we have to know such as 'k' for spring constant or something like that?
Original post by boyyo
lol ok i get you now. Just another quick question, can you use Ep=mgh, when its over large distances?

nah since g will change over large distances. and sorry didnt read your question, gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to the fact it is in a gravitation field
Original post by philo-jitsu
I may be wrong here but isnt the forces on both vertical sides kind of directed inwards...?

would the coil even rotate if it wasnt already moving, what I mean is the forces direction is perpendicular to the horizontal so how would they even rotate?..

I may be over complicating it

Your first point is right. The forces are inwards and along the same line of action. Hence they cause no torque
Reply 672
Original post by duncant
nah since g will change over large distances. and sorry didnt read your question, gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to the fact it is in a gravitation field

ahh cool, thanks man:smile:
Is anyone having trouble doing past papers in time cause I am. What can I do to improve I know day before the exam. 😅🔫
Hey Guys

Any tips on how to manage time in the exam? I.e answer the paper first and get to the multi choice after?
Or is it just try and plough through it all in the time

Cheers
Original post by Ayaz789
The right one is more positve but idk how to sketch it?

Like this. Sorry its in landscape.

Like this. Sorry its in landscape.

I thought like charges repel?
How do you do this? 2016-06-19.png
Original post by Nikhilm
Your first point is right. The forces are inwards and along the same line of action. Hence they cause no torque

How are the forces not a couple then? if they are pointing towards one another they are two equal in magnitude forces that oppose one another....isnt that a couple?
Original post by xMillnsy
How do you do this? 2016-06-19.png

Find the speed at which the water moves

speed is equivalent to a length per second, so speed = volume / area

mass = density x volume

momentum = mass x velocity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending