The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by fpmaniac
These unit 5 questions dont make any sense! You think they are asking you one question but they are asking you a completely different question and the mark scheme says different things!!!

Exactly!!!!! Dreading it!
Lol Jan 2015 IAL question 5b. These questions keep getting stupider. Need to be Einstein to figure out those 1 markers.
Original post by fpmaniac
Lol Jan 2015 IAL question 5b. These questions keep getting stupider. Need to be Einstein to figure out those 1 markers.

The answer is p.bahiensis? If you convert the top two values to micro grams then you'll see that that species requires the least amount of venom for a lethal dose compared to the others
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9CAF3DEF0A718A50
Useful YouTube channel for a bit of AS revision and an overview of A2 processes. Don't know if this is useful to anyone but I found it helpful :smile:
Reply 904
guys what do we need to know about plants and tropism

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it just the scientific article that's synoptic or the whole paper?
Original post by iipebblesii
Is it just the scientific article that's synoptic or the whole paper?

The whole paper can be synoptic as well.
Unit 5 January 2013 paper, Q1 a) what does the maximum change mean? It was in the exam we just had as well? Is it in terms of increase or decrease? Cause the answer is 100mv but that's from point A-C, but from point C-E is larger in terms of decrease?
Reply 908
Can someone please help me with these li'l questions?
Puhleeeez

What are those? xD
Attachment 552752552754
In this second thing I thought it'd be B cuz fast twitch:slow twitch should be 6:18 and hence 1:3 but markscheme says 3:1
(the lighter ones are fast twitch and darker ones slow twitch)
lastly Attachment 552752552754552770
They asked for ans. in dm^3min^-1 but stroke volume is in cm3min^-1 so, it should be 4.608x10^-6 but ms says 4608 (cardiac output=stroke volumexheart rate at rest)Attached Thumbnails

Reply 909
Original post by Anon113
Unit 5 January 2013 paper, Q1 a) what does the maximum change mean? It was in the exam we just had as well? Is it in terms of increase or decrease? Cause the answer is 100mv but that's from point A-C, but from point C-E is larger in terms of decrease?

The question refers to depolarization and depolarisation is from A to C. C to E is hyperpolarisation.
Original post by Aimen.
The question refers to depolarization and depolarisation is from A to C. C to E is hyperpolarisation.

Oh ****! I didn't even read that!! Thank you very much, really need to read the question properly!
Do we need to learn about the enzymes involved in glycolysis? I know there's phosphofructokinase do we need to learn the others.
Any predictions for the questions that'll turn up for the article?
this is just me trying to understand it a bit better but in respiration, How many hydrogens reduce one NAD and how many H2O molecules does one NADH make
Reply 914
Original post by Michaelj99
this is just me trying to understand it a bit better but in respiration, How many hydrogens reduce one NAD and how many H2O molecules does one NADH make

Hi, 2 hydrogens reduce one NAD and 1 H20 molecule will be made from 1 NADH (as it releases to 2 H).

Hope that helps.
Original post by Sebmooc
Hi, 2 hydrogens reduce one NAD and 1 H20 molecule will be made from 1 NADH (as it releases to 2 H).

Hope that helps.

no pretty sure 1 hydrogen reduces one NAD :smile:
hi need help with q6 from the jan 2013 paper
(b) Describe the structure of the modified plasmid used in stage 2
(c)Suggest why plants rather than bacteria are used to produce the protein instage 3.

Does anyone have some suggestions as we barely covered this topic in class
Original post by Daniel9998
no pretty sure 1 hydrogen reduces one NAD :smile:

we've been taught that when NAD is reduced - it forms NADH2+ (but almost all textbooks/paper/answer etc just call it reduced NAD) - there's not a proper reason for this that we need to know - but it gets reduced by two hydrogen instead of one
Original post by alexfrances
we've been taught that when NAD is reduced - it forms NADH2+ (but almost all textbooks/paper/answer etc just call it reduced NAD) - there's not a proper reason for this that we need to know - but it gets reduced by two hydrogen instead of one

are you sure?
In the CGP book its says otherwise, 2H+ ions are removed during glycolysis to form 2 x Reduced NAD molecules from 2 x NAD.
Original post by Daniel9998
are you sure?
In the CGP book its says otherwise, 2H+ ions are removed during glycolysis to form 2 x Reduced NAD molecules from 2 x NAD.

For glycolysis you're producing two reduced NAD because there are two 3 carbon molecules.

in my notes from class NAD gets reduced to produce NADH + H+ in the krebs cycle and in the CGP text book during oxidative phosphorylation reduced NAD releases 2 hydrogen atoms to produce two electrons.

Not sure if this helped whatsoever cause i'm starting to confuse myself but if you look in the CGP textbook for the oxid. phos. you can see reduced NAD releases two hydrogen atoms
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending