The Student Room Group

What the newspapers say about #EUref - does it matter?

All the Sunday papers and many of the dailies have now declared which side of the referendum they are supporting.

Leave
=====
Sunday Times
Sunday Telegraph
The Sun
The Sun on Sunday
The Express
Sunday Express
The Spectator

Remain
======
The Times
Sunday Mirror
Sunday People (if voter is undecided)
The Observer
Mail on Sunday
Financial Times
The Economist
New Statesman

Undeclared (so far...)
=========
Daily Mail
Daily Telegraph
The Mirror
The Guardian
The Independent
Daily Mail

Any surprises? It's notable Rupert Murdoch's Sunday Times goes for Leave, but The Times says Remain, and both editions of his Sun go with Leave. Also MoS is Remain while Daily Mail seems certain to say Leave.

Interesting...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Yeah, sure it matters. Newspapers are many people's only experience of partisan commentary on current affairs, given the requirements for neutrality and balance imposed on television. I'm surprised the Sunday Times is apparently Leave though - I've not read their actual statement yet, and suspect it was a bit more nuanced, but that will rub many of their readers and subscribers (including myself) up the wrong way.
Reply 2
Original post by L i b
Yeah, sure it matters. Newspapers are many people's only experience of partisan commentary on current affairs, given the requirements for neutrality and balance imposed on television. I'm surprised the Sunday Times is apparently Leave though - I've not read their actual statement yet, and suspect it was a bit more nuanced, but that will rub many of their readers and subscribers (including myself) up the wrong way.

I dont have the full editorial but seems pretty clear support for Leave.
1466347438655.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending