The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HCOONa Matata
Anyone else here going on the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge Camp on August 25th?

25th? Are there two camps then? Cos I'm going to the one on the 28th

Posted from TSR Mobile
I assumed as much. I know around 60 people got a Roentgenium but there were only 27 people in my camp
Original post by HCOONa Matata
Anyone else here going on the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge Camp on August 25th?

I will be attending that camp.
I got 60/60 on this paper :smile:

Just kidding :biggrin:
Is anyone doing this paper this year?
Original post by Laura1526
Is anyone doing this paper this year?

doing it friday!
Original post by emilysmith268
doing it friday!

Good luck! im doing mine next week, hoping for the best
How did you revise for it?? (If you did lol)
Original post by _Priyesh_

How was it? Is it really hard?
Didnt have time to revise due to s1 i suggest doin the past papers and look over a2 as some of ur a2 stuff might be in as for another spec if u get what im sayin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Laura1526
How was it? Is it really hard?

Most of it was difficult but i can see it being done by the really 'smart people', i couldnt do some questions and i havent seen or done past papers so cant compare difficulty

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Priyesh_
Didnt have time to revise due to s1 i suggest doin the past papers and look over a2 as some of ur a2 stuff might be in as for another spec if u get what im sayin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

D1 tomorrow :frown: couldn't spend time on chemistry ... any tips for this chemistry challenge?
Given that spectroscopy shows all the hydrogen atoms in H3AsO3 to be in the sameenvironment, suggest a structure for the acid. What is the geometry around thearsenic atom?

What does environment mean in this context?
Reply 3734
Original post by Klimenski
Given that spectroscopy shows all the hydrogen atoms in H3AsO3 to be in the sameenvironment, suggest a structure for the acid. What is the geometry around thearsenic atom?

What does environment mean in this context?

The hydrogens are equivalent.
Any revision tips I've gone over my AS syllabus and revised but don't know what else to revise
Original post by alow
The hydrogens are equivalent.

What do you mean by equivalent, the mark scheme shows 3 OH groups around the arsenic atom, how does environment link in with that?
Reply 3737
What do you mean by equivalent, the mark scheme shows 3 OH groups around the arsenic atom, how does environment link in with that?

Have you done anything about NMR?
Original post by alow
Have you done anything about NMR?

I don't recognize "NMR" but we've done mass spect like m/z peaks etc and infrared spectroscopy, is it anything to do with these?
Reply 3739
I don't recognize "NMR" but we've done mass spect like m/z peaks etc and infrared spectroscopy, is it anything to do with these?

Okay scratch that then. Groups/atoms in a molecule are said to be "chemically equivalent" or "in the same environment" if the structure of the molecule is such that they are joined to the same groups/atoms.

e.g.

The molecule is symmetric about the 3rd carbon, so the protons on the 1st & 5th and 2nd & 4th are equivalent.

However the molecule need not be symmetric:

This molecule has almost no symmetry but there are equivalent proton environments on the phenyl substituent (the 6-memebered ring with alternating double bonds), as the 2/6 and 3/5 protons are equivalent (counting clockwise around the ring, starting where the phenyl is joined to the other part of the molecule).

Original post by 323205
NMR is similar, mainly an A2 thing. Chemical equivalence is when the atom is joined to the same atoms within a molecule (so if you could draw a line of symmetry down a molecule, atoms either side of that line will be eqivalent

There doesn't necessarily need to be symmetry: see above.

Quick Reply

Latest