The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4680
I hate c3! 45/72 is still a D! Which means I'm consistently getting U's but I need a B on Tuesday! AHHH! Going to do another 5ish papers today and just try to bring it up...better start bio and c4 too 😥
Time to do last year's chem F325 paper, see you in a bit later than two hours
OK got to finish this essay :biggrin: I am struggling to focus but hopefully will get back on track
Finished marking the chem 5 paper I did yesterday and I got full ums (tbh I'm shocked cause I found the paper tough but the grade boundaries were low :L) and I'll do another one today

I'll be doing more bio 5 revision today looking at the mark schemes side by side with the question papers to see what gets you the marks for each question.
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
Finished marking the chem 5 paper I did yesterday and I got full ums (tbh I'm shocked cause I found the paper tough but the grade boundaries were low :L) and I'll do another one today

I'll be doing more bio 5 revision today looking at the mark schemes side by side with the question papers to see what gets you the marks for each question.

Dude how do you get full ums I can't even get a c I'm so screwed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
Dude how do you get full ums I can't even get a c I'm so screwed

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still lose about 7-8 marks and that's after a lot of revision (keep in mind I'm resitting during my gap year so I've had an extra year to prepare).

You'll get there if you keep working on the areas you find most difficult!!

Edit: I also found this websites practice questions somewhat useful: http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4686
Well I woke up incredibly late today + I've been out for most of the afternoon + now I'm back home it's dawned on me that I'm really not going to get everything done in time with this current attitude. So I've decided that I need to make a plan of sorts SO I DO GET IT DONE IN TIME.

- By 12:00 today - finish chemistry notes.

If I don't finish my chemistry notes by midnight then I'll just abandon that plan and memorise/complete + cram the past papers for Unit 5 bc I need to spend the whole of tomorrow on C3 in preparation for Tuesday which I am absolutely not ready for.

- After midnight, I'm going to do 2 C3 Maths past papers. MINIMUM.

Then I'll go to bed. YES, I WILL SLEEP AT A REASONABLE HOUR.

After going to bed at 7am last night, I actually feel like death and it really isn't helping with my revision or motivation or anything. I could cry over my level of tiredness.

This week is making me immensely worried but I'm not working as hard as I should be either so I need to get a grip. I'm going to take some painkillers then try my best to get as much as I can done. And I mean actually try my best and not give up when things feel a little difficult. Failure isn't an option bc we didn't get this far to ruin things at the last hurdle.

I'm starting at 6:00pm. 10 minute breaks until I've completed all of the above tasks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I still lose about 7-8 marks and that's after a lot of revision (keep in mind I'm resitting during my gap year so I've had an extra year to prepare).

You'll get there if you keep working on the areas you find most difficult!!

Edit: I also found this websites practice questions somewhat useful: http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk

Thanks do you have any tips or anything that you found helpful when doing papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Done the chem paper, I'm surprised at myself because I usually illogically work out stuff for redox titrations (and they're ALWAYS the last question in the paper so I end up panicking and rushing this question), but I got marks in it :biggrin: I'll do more redox questions and also more on the equilibrium constant, maybe do a legacy paper with these questions in it :smile:
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
Thanks do you have any tips or anything that you found helpful when doing papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do AQA for chemistry, so for the format of their exam the most important thing is knowing the syllabus very well because the majority of the paper is simple recall with a few things that slightly alter the question.

When you get to the point where you're comfortable with all of the material on the spec it doesn't matter what order you do the questions because you should have a basic understanding of everything that comes up. Make sure you keep track of time so you don't run (preferably with enough time to double check your calculations in the maths questions just in case you mis-typed the numbers into your calculator), but also don't rush because that's when you make silly mistakes. Also, look at how many marks a question is worth to get a good idea of the level of detail needed to answer the question. If it's a two marker, make sure to make at least two separate points but don't take 5-10 minutes on it writing more detail than is required. Read the full question, make sure you answer every separate part because they sometimes give you three questions in one paragraph. I number them by the questions themselves and then number my answers to make it clear which part I'm addressing in the question.

As you go through the mark schemes make yourself very familiar with what they look for in your answer to get the marks (specifically the underlined words) and make sure you memorise them. Always remember the units and check that you have your answers to the correct number of decimal places or significant figures at the end of the calculations.

After you finish all the past papers look back at them to see what you got wrong and go over those topics again until you can remember what it was that you got wrong.

The day before the exam, refresh your memory on the whole syllabus by skimming it and making sure you're confident that you understand all of the material.
Reply 4690
ive done a couple of 1 hr and 30 minutes sessions. gonna restart on chem 5. Im aiming to finish thermodynamics and start commercial cells with a cheeky paper in there.
Reply 4691
I am slightly behind schedule but that is OK bc I am now ready + have everything I need. Starting with redox equations. I'll update in an hr.
Reply 4692
Original post by Anon_98
I am slightly behind schedule but that is OK bc I am now ready + have everything I need. Starting with redox equations. I'll update in an hr.

good luck. lets goooooo!
Reply 4693
Original post by Guls
good luck. lets goooooo!

thank you. :smile:
Reply 4694
So, that hour was a bit slow but I am currently on electrode potentials. Should be able to move onto electrochemical series quite soon.
Reply 4695
Did another c3, once again not amazing but tiny progress has been made. After my bath I'll learn bio F215 topic 1, and then c3 revision. See ya all later 👍🏾
Reply 4696
I think I did enough today, around 6 hours. two days left before chem5 and three days before my last exam. gonna going to college and finish off topics like animal behaivour, and cover some extra stuff like polyploidy in the morning. then do chem5 papers in the afternoon.
That legacy paper took longer than I anticipated :yawn: I'm gonna make a hot chocolate, watch a bit of Orange is the new Black, and go to bed, tomorrow I'll do C3 practice for the exam the day after.
Reply 4698
doing past papers bio5 for this thur:colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
I do AQA for chemistry, so for the format of their exam the most important thing is knowing the syllabus very well because the majority of the paper is simple recall with a few things that slightly alter the question.

When you get to the point where you're comfortable with all of the material on the spec it doesn't matter what order you do the questions because you should have a basic understanding of everything that comes up. Make sure you keep track of time so you don't run (preferably with enough time to double check your calculations in the maths questions just in case you mis-typed the numbers into your calculator), but also don't rush because that's when you make silly mistakes. Also, look at how many marks a question is worth to get a good idea of the level of detail needed to answer the question. If it's a two marker, make sure to make at least two separate points but don't take 5-10 minutes on it writing more detail than is required. Read the full question, make sure you answer every separate part because they sometimes give you three questions in one paragraph. I number them by the questions themselves and then number my answers to make it clear which part I'm addressing in the question.

As you go through the mark schemes make yourself very familiar with what they look for in your answer to get the marks (specifically the underlined words) and make sure you memorise them. Always remember the units and check that you have your answers to the correct number of decimal places or significant figures at the end of the calculations.

After you finish all the past papers look back at them to see what you got wrong and go over those topics again until you can remember what it was that you got wrong.

The day before the exam, refresh your memory on the whole syllabus by skimming it and making sure you're confident that you understand all of the material.

Thanks for the advice and yeah just been doing loads of question so I now find all the benzene section so easy however I mess up a lot on the transition metal equations but thank god for low grade boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending