The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
I'd also be interested in a study group in London!
Original post by puddleduck
AH! HOLY MOLY! GUYS I GOT 75!!!! :':wink: 70-72-79! Last time my results were 60-70-51... so you CAN improve! :O

I've attached the curve x

I've literally been sat here for 2 hours straight reading this thread and following everyone's journey and when I read what you you got I jumped up screaming so loud and cheering for you! :smile:
Congrats and wish you all the best of luck in your applications.

I'm hoping this is gonna be me when I take my test this September.
Hey! Can someone give me a pointer as to where to start with my GAMSAT prep? Second year biomed so my science knowledge is pretty good (except physics). I don't know where to start or how to plan my studying.
Is GAMSAT only for grad applicants? or is it required by any undergrad unis?
Original post by sm11adt
Is GAMSAT only for grad applicants? or is it required by any undergrad unis?

It's a Graduate admissions test only.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
It's a Graduate admissions test only.

Exeter and Plymouth ask undergrads who have been out of study for more than two years to sit it. So no it is not grad only. Depends on the institution and how old your qualifications are. Tbh you are better not having to sit it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lyra1987
Exeter and Plymouth ask undergrads who have been out of study for more than two years to sit it. So no it is not grad only. Depends on the institution and how old your qualifications are. Tbh you are better not having to sit it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did now know that. Must suck thinking you can apply with your A Levels and then being told you've got to sit this horrid exam.
so i've been told that 3 months of full time revision would be enough for this exam? I do a biomed degree and have done A level chemistry. I'm also quite strong at essay writing. Do you think it's feasible?
Original post by MedSchoolHope4
so i've been told that 3 months of full time revision would be enough for this exam? I do a biomed degree and have done A level chemistry. I'm also quite strong at essay writing. Do you think it's feasible?

Feasible for some. Especially if you have a science background. I took 9 months because I had no Chem at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone knows any of the venues are used for the Gamsat in the UK? Travelling over from Ireland and would like to book flights and accomodation etc.
Thanks a million!
Original post by jeanette27
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone knows any of the venues are used for the Gamsat in the UK? Travelling over from Ireland and would like to book flights and accomodation etc.
Thanks a million!

Liverpool was based in The Crypt Hall at Liverpool Cathedral the past 2 years.

London March 2015 was based near Liverpool Station. I stayed in the Ibis at Whitechapel and that was within walking distance, can't remember the name of the venue. It's on the tip of my tongue...
Thanks a million!
Hi guys,
Thanks a million!

September 2015 London gamsat was in Olympia but sometimes they have two venues in London. They will only give you your admission ticket stating where you are to sit, 2 weeks before the exam. I didn't have any trouble booking this late last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

I'm kind of still getting used to TSR etiquette so I hope it's okay to ask this here... Has anyone got any GAMSAT prep material that they would like to sell or donate :smile: ?? Or... does anyone know of any good materials that I should use?

Thanks!
Original post by RebeccaPG
Hi there,

I'm kind of still getting used to TSR etiquette so I hope it's okay to ask this here... Has anyone got any GAMSAT prep material that they would like to sell or donate :smile: ?? Or... does anyone know of any good materials that I should use?

Thanks!

S1/S2:
Read a lot, ask yourself questions - why is the writer stating this? how does it help their argument? what is the counter argument? how aware is the author of the counter argument and do they use it to justify their own argument? what is the conclusion? does the writer refer back to their argument consistently?
The Guardian, The Independent, The New York Times, other newspapers and news sources
The Meaning Of Things - A.C. Grayling
PagingDR forum has some great threads on S1/S2 practise

S3:
ACER Practise Papers
Griffiths GAMSAT Review
GAMSAT Gold Standard
Des O'Neille GAMSAT Stuff (no longer kept up-to-date but can find old copies and still relatable)
AS/A2 Lett's Revise Bio/Chem/Org Chem/Phsyics In A Week
Hi guys,
Thanks a million!
Why would you travel over? You can sit the September Gamsat in overseas locations - Dublin being one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 456
Hey guys
For those of you who did the GAMSAT in March, what would you say is the section you wished you'd spent more time revising for?

I am doing a lot for section 2 in terms of reading, but not getting much better at section 1...
Thank you!!

Original post by Marathi
S1/S2:
Read a lot, ask yourself questions - why is the writer stating this? how does it help their argument? what is the counter argument? how aware is the author of the counter argument and do they use it to justify their own argument? what is the conclusion? does the writer refer back to their argument consistently?
The Guardian, The Independent, The New York Times, other newspapers and news sources
The Meaning Of Things - A.C. Grayling
PagingDR forum has some great threads on S1/S2 practise

S3:
ACER Practise Papers
Griffiths GAMSAT Review
GAMSAT Gold Standard
Des O'Neille GAMSAT Stuff (no longer kept up-to-date but can find old copies and still relatable)
AS/A2 Lett's Revise Bio/Chem/Org Chem/Phsyics In A Week
Original post by taywh
Hey guys
For those of you who did the GAMSAT in March, what would you say is the section you wished you'd spent more time revising for?

I am doing a lot for section 2 in terms of reading, but not getting much better at section 1...
Simply reading is not good enough, unless you are innately good at these tests, you have to practise. Believe me, you're only deceiving yourself that you are revising. I do not need to make much effort with s1 because I understand what is to be expected from it generally. You have to get familiar with all the ways questions may be posed, e.g. inference, and practise building your sharpness on such tasks -- only practise helps here. This broadly applies to every section.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys
I'm planning to take the GAMSAT this September and was wondering where I can fine the past paper questions for practice?
And thanks to all who've put up suggestions for revision tips and resources, they all look really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest