The Student Room Group

Edexcel Economics and Business UNIT 4 6EB04

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dann_a
Agree with all apart from number 1
Although there has been a lot of high value mergers/takeovers the CMA has yet to block any of them and it's also not mentioned in the case study so you don't have much supporting evidence to use even though the examiners want a balance between own knowledge and case study evidence

Yeah, it's an unlikely but possible question. They could relate the question to the CMA as you can use the market shares of the companies and some fines that have been imposed on them, as well as takeovers and mergers especially with tobacco firms buying e-cigarette firms. Edexcel have become very unpredictable lately.
Original post by ringo2810
If you want any help, I have some model answers and mark schemes to most of these question.

Yes please I would really appreciate that actually if you don't mind?
Reply 22
If you want any help, I have some model answers and mark schemes to most of these question.

Could you pm me this please? :smile:
Based on previous 20 and 30 marks, one of them has always been about Market Failure in the industry, i.e. Tobacco Industry. I have a few predictions about the 20 and 30 mark questions:

1) Assess the effectiveness of competition authorities in correcting the market failure in the tobacco industry

2) Discuss how command and control measures can be effective in reducing the market failure in the tobacco industry

3) Assess whether the government was effective in correcting the market failure in the tobacco industry OR Evaluate the government's response to market failure in the tobacco industry

4) Assess the view that e-cigarettes are merit goods (most likely a 20 mark question)

5) Evaluate the extent to which regulation is needed in the tobacco industry

6) Assess the effectiveness of taxation as a method for reducing smoking

7) Evaluate how tobacco manufacturers might respond to the changing pattern of demand for cigarettes and e-cigarettes

Just to point out, if the question is similar to question 3, focus mainly on government failure rather than market failure. You can state the market failures and what the government has done to correct it but always link back to whether the method was effective in the evaluation.

Also, don't forget to write a conclusion at the end of the 20 and 30 marks.

Could I have a model answer for question 2. This was not covered in class. Thanks
Original post by EmilyImpossible
Yes please I would really appreciate that actually if you don't mind?

Here are some of the model answers. First 3 pictures are for question 3 and 4.

The last 5 pictures are 2 different model answers for question 2.

I'll try and find model answers and mark schemes for some of the others.
Original post by econgov
Could you pm me this please? :smile:

Sorry, I uploaded them instead. Do you still want me to PM you?

Original post by poojashah
Could I have a model answer for question 2. This was not covered in class. Thanks

Last 5 pictures are 2 different model answers for Q2
Thanks, what's command and control? Is it basically the same as government intervention? And also do you have anything to do with the competition authority
Thanks, what's command and control? Is it basically the same as government intervention? And also do you have anything to do with the competition authority

Command and control are any measures/government policies/bans used to control the consumption of a specific good, in this case tobacco. It is practically government intervention as the government implement these bans/policies.

I'll try and find my 20 mark essay on the competition authority and post asap.
Command and control are any measures/government policies/bans used to control the consumption of a specific good, in this case tobacco. It is practically government intervention as the government implement these bans/policies.

Thank you very much
Thank you very much

Sorry for the delay, here is the 20 mark essay on the competition authorities. It can be a 20 or 30 mark question but it is most likely to be a 20 mark question. I did it as a 30 mark question, however if it was a 20 mark question you can ignore the third main paragraph.
Reply 30
no need thank you very much! Will you just memorise the key points in the essays to prepare for the exam? and what are your predictions for the definitions?
(edited 7 years ago)
do you have anything to do with how tobacco might respond to changing patterns in demand?:smile:
Sorry for the delay, here is the 20 mark essay on the competition authorities. It can be a 20 or 30 mark question but it is most likely to be a 20 mark question. I did it as a 30 mark question, however if it was a 20 mark question you can ignore the third main paragraph.

Thank you! do you have anything to do with how tobacco might respond to changing patterns in demand?
Reply 33
do you have anything to do with how tobacco might respond to changing patterns in demand?:smile:

This will most likely be about the shift in demand away from cigarettes towards e cigarettes rather than just within tobacco
However within tobacco you could talk about consumers switching from straights to rollies as they are cheaper perhaps?
Original post by Dann_a
This will most likely be about the shift in demand away from cigarettes towards e cigarettes rather than just within tobacco
However within tobacco you could talk about consumers switching from straights to rollies as they are cheaper perhaps?

true, and what will tobacco companies do to deal with this change in demand?:smile:
true, and what will tobacco companies do to deal with this change in demand?:smile:

This would link perfectly with tobacco firms buying e-cigarette firms (Imperial Tobacco purchasing Blu E-Cig), and you could also talk about how they may begin to invest into producing rolling tobacco as the demand for that is increasing. Main thing would be linking it to e-cigarettes and how tobacco firms are entering the e-cig market.
Reply 36

Do you by any chance have the mark scheme for this question?

4) Assess the view that e-cigarettes are merit goods
Original post by econgov
Do you by any chance have the mark scheme for this question?

4) Assess the view that e-cigarettes are merit goods

The model answer is all I have for it (1st picture), sorry. I have my essay for it, if you want it.
This would link perfectly with tobacco firms buying e-cigarette firms (Imperial Tobacco purchasing Blu E-Cig), and you could also talk about how they may begin to invest into producing rolling tobacco as the demand for that is increasing. Main thing would be linking it to e-cigarettes and how tobacco firms are entering the e-cig market.

ah okay, is there anything to do with the takeovers in our evidence?
ah okay, is there anything to do with the takeovers in our evidence?

The takeovers are wider knowledge, but the changing demand from cigarettes to e-cigs is in our pre-release, and the exam board expects us to have some wider knowledge about the tobacco industry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending