The Student Room Group

Is it worth investing in a Macbook Pro?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by not_lucas1
I feel like this guy has experience, do what we both said about going to PCworld and you will probably find a good laptop suited to your needs

Ive searched around and not found a windows based machine to my liking yet, but the macbook really stands out... I think thats why im more for the macbook

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ICEN_Prophet
Idk up to you

Yeah macbook airs don't have that long battery life. Mine can last a day but only if i don't use it. If I use it constantly it lasts maybe 4 hours. Actually I can work this out, because I use it at school for history and it can last for history lessons, lunch and some time after school. So I'd say 4hrs 30 minutes battery life when used constantly
Reply 22
id buy my macbook a million times over
Can't go wrong with one. Expensive at first but they don't give headaches, can run damn near anything you need, fantastic customer support, and their resale value is unparalleled so you get most of the money you spend back. My MBP is almost 4 years old and I can easily get £800-900 for it
Yes - get the macbook air 13" base model with student discount, get the free beats wireless headphones, sell them on ebay or amazon for a 'reduced' price and be happy with a machine that cost you like <£550 in the end.

13" base MBA is perfectly adequate for university, watching videos, long battery life etc. I 'upgraded' to the 15" rMBP a year ago and find myself using it the exact same as my old MBA, so it was a pointless & expensive upgrade. but honestly, if you want one, get one. They're not that great, but as soon as you start using one (after adjusting to it) you'll find it difficult to use a windows pc.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Ive searched around and not found a windows based machine to my liking yet, but the macbook really stands out... I think thats why im more for the macbook

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the end of the day its what you want, my opinion shouldn't have much of an effect if you really like macbooks. I personally would opt for a laptop-tablet or chromebook, just because im always on my tablet so it would be more convenient for me and I wouldn't require any high spec laptops to write lecture notes on really.
Original post by Natalierm2707

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it seems like you have already convinced yourself.
Why not borrow your boyfriend's for a few weels amd see how you like it?
Dont forget your student discount.
The new models are coming out soon, which will mean discounts on the current models as they get rid of old stock..

You should compare like with like though and if its £900 on a mac you should be comparing it with £900 windows machines.
If you get from J Lewis you get a years extra warranty and you might want to get an extended warranty to cover yourself for the length of your course notwithstanding dropping or it being stolen.
Any laptop will last an average of 5 years+. My current laptop is going for 6 years and is running pretty much as well as it did when I first got it, minus the drop in battery life, but that's normal in any laptop.

The Asus Zenbook laptops (specifically UX301LA and UX303UA) and Dell Xps 13 are some of the best ultra books which you'll want to check out.

Alternatively have a look at Lenovo Thinkpad T-series business laptops. Slightly heavier but the T series laptops have a huge reputation in the business market when compared to MBPs, e.g. an actually decent keyboard (also spill resistant) and speakers, superior build quality (yes the plastic construction is actually a lot better than the aluminium chassis of other laptops) easier to repair and upgrade, insane battery life, etc, but the touchpad of the mac is superior.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Consider the resell value, after 4 years a macbook pro will still be worth over 60% of its initial cost, a pc on the other hand... If you do decide to get a macbook pro wait till the new ones come out in October, pointless buying one of the old ones at this point.
Original post by Seytonic
Consider the resell value, after 4 years a macbook pro will still be worth over 60% of its initial cost, a pc on the other hand... If you do decide to get a macbook pro wait till the new ones come out in October, pointless buying one of the old ones at this point.

Not if you get a significant discount.
I have a macbook air (not pro). Macs look nice but they're really **** after a while, sometimes incredibly slow, crap interactive features, microsoft is much better

i would literally get one to use it on these covers

Depends on the model, and on the condition.
Reply 33

Not at all pointless, what the new ones will add will be very small in my opinion as always with apple; and hearing the rumors i seem to prefer this current model over the what could be new one, besides time wise i think i get a better deal financially if i buy it during the back to school offer season. A macbook which is one year out of date is really not bad at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Nikhilm
I have a macbook air (not pro). Macs look nice but they're really **** after a while, sometimes incredibly slow, crap interactive features, microsoft is much better

I have a hp pavilion and after nearly 3 years its a dead machine. Besides looking at the specs not suprised the air is slow, for the extra £150-200 i would always go for the more powerful machine, the processor in the air is absolutely shocking for the money you pay, as is the ram.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Blue_Mason
Depends on the model, and on the condition.

Agreed but im not to bothered about resale, im buying it to last me through uni mainly. After 2 years my iphone 5s was in absolutely mint condition because i looked after it, and i suspect the same will go for my new machine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In October? Where did you find this information?
We only can speculate based on various rumours!
tbh I'm slightly stuck right now. I'll get Macbook pro for uni starting in september (I need one) but I stopped myself from getting one like a year ago. I wanted to get the new one and been waiting way too much for it to get the current one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Thanks for all the help everyone, i have decided to bite the bullet and purchase the macbook pro in a few days after i have thought it over some more.

There have been some really interesting (if not slightly single minded) mac vs pc comments on this thread, but people seem to forget that every machine has its perks. And when my boyfriend who builds desktops decides to go for a mac, considering 2 years ago you couldnt get him near them, shows that for our needs as uni students they really are great machines. Definetly not for gamers mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by ICEN_Prophet
In October? Where did you find this information?
We only can speculate based on various rumours!

There is still no info about a new release date. But from the way the new macbooks have gone i would much prefer to go for this generation of macbook pro as they will be more to my liking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are buying an apple product you are buying a fashion accessory not a quality product, just get a 300 quid notebook from amazon with emphasis on battery life and hd screen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending