The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 26december
Some help with oxidising and reducing agents?
The strongest reducing agent has the most negative electrode potential and the weakest reducing agent has the most positive electrode potential
The strongest oxidising agent has the most positive electrode potential and the weakest oxidising agent has the most negative electrode potential.
Is that correct?
So in this table ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466277155.356368.jpg

The STRONGEST R.A would be H2O2 and the WEAKEST R.A would be H2O

The STRONGEST O.A would be H2O2
and the WEAKEST R.A would be O2

???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct :smile:

Original post by shiney101
Does anyone know why with [Co(H2O)6]2+ NH3 is able to fully displaced (by ligand substitution) all the H2O molecules however with [Cu(H2O)6]2+ only 4 H2O molecules will be displaced by NH3?

I read about it somewhere, however you don't need to know for the exam - just that it's an example of partial ligand substitution
Reply 1781
Original post by SirRaza97
2(b) The straight line equation y = mx + c can be used to represent the the gibbs free energy equation where y = ΔG, m = -ΔS x = T and c = ΔH. To calculate the gradient you just do the change in y divided by the change in x. So take two points on the line and find the corresponding y an x values and do the same for a second point and do this calculation:

y1 - y2 / x1 - x2

The slope is -ΔS so the units are J K-1 Mol-1

2(d) is understanding that the rate of change of entropy changes for an element in it's different states. If the rate of change of entropy has changed then the slope (gradient) of your line has changed. So the ammonia has turned to liquid as the temperature is going lower.

thank you !! how did you know m = -ΔS x = T
could they ever ask us to work out ΔH using a graph like this, and if so,how would u do it?
thanks once again!
Reply 1782
can someone explain to me why when writing out cell representations using the SHE you always put H2 | H+ on the left hand side even if it has an E value more positive than the other species?? e.g. i did a question where i had to write the cell representation for Fe2+ being reduced to Fe (s) using SHE but it had an E value of -1.63 (or something like that)

but surely SHE= 0V which is more positive than -1.63 so it should be written on the right?
Original post by chzm
can someone explain to me why when writing out cell representations using the SHE you always put H2 | H+ on the left hand side even if it has an E value more positive than the other species?? e.g. i did a question where i had to write the cell representation for Fe2+ being reduced to Fe (s) using SHE but it had an E value of -1.63 (or something like that)

but surely SHE= 0V which is more positive than -1.63 so it should be written on the right?

May I ask, what is SHE/what does it stand for? I have never heard/come across it haha

*** EDIT
I reread it and realised what it is so ignore this messaged haha
Posted from TSR Mobile
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-QP-JAN13.PDF

can someone explain to me q3cii

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-W-MS-JAN13.PDF

I just dont understand why the reverse reaction takes place ?
Original post by chzm

I think it's because you use the SHE to measure the E0 of that one particular half cell. Like on the table some of the reduction equations have a negative E0?
Original post by Lilly1234567890
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-QP-JAN13.PDF

can someone explain to me q3cii

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-W-MS-JAN13.PDF

I just dont understand why the reverse reaction takes place ?

I'm not sure but could it be because the forward reaction is exothermic?
Original post by lordyP
I'm not sure but could it be because the forward reaction is exothermic?

i still dont get how that can lead to the reverse reaction ? :s-smilie:
i believe in 2014 past paper, it asked for the equations without giving you them in a table
Original post by Suits101
Strictly speaking, you don't need to know them.

In the exam they will tell you which equations to use, such as 'write the half equation at the hydrogen electrode in a hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell in acidic/alkaline conditions' or if they don't then you can use either one.

I say you don't need to learn them because you need to know what happens at the electrodes, e.g you know hydrogen is a reactant so you can deduce how to get to hydroxide ions (if alkaline) or hydrogen ions (if acidic) and you know oxygen is a reactant so you can deduce how to get to hydroxide ions (if alkaline) or hydrogen ions (if acidic) once again.
Original post by chzm

I had noticed this and I have no idea.

I ALWAYS, since this question and as my notes say, put the SHE on left.
Can someone help me figure with oxygen reaction to use for hydrogen-oyygen in alkaline conditions for 3c and 3d please thanks http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-W-QP-JAN10.PDF
Original post by chzm
thank you !! how did you know m = -ΔS x = T
could they ever ask us to work out ΔH using a graph like this, and if so,how would u do it?
thanks once again!

compare the equation y = mx+c with ΔG = ΔH - TΔS. The graph given in the question has the gibbs free enrgy on the y axis so that's y and the temperature on the x axis so that is x. so now we need to know what is m and what is c. You should know that ΔH is a constant for a reaction so that will be c and so that means that m = -ΔS (The minus because the line is a negative gradient)

To calculate ΔH. We know that it's C in the y = mx + c. If you know your straight line equations then you should recall that the c value is the y-intercept. So to find ΔH you find where the line crosses the y axis and read of the Y axis.

Another way of looking at it, is looking at the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS. When the temperiature is 0 kelvin, ΔG = ΔH. So then you find where the temp is zero on the x axis and read the corresponding y value. This exactly the same as the y - intercept.
(edited 7 years ago)
unit 5 cramming begins
Original post by flylikeafly
Can someone help me figure with oxygen reaction to use for hydrogen-oyygen in alkaline conditions for 3c and 3d please thanks http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-W-QP-JAN10.PDF

Firstly you have to select the alkaline half equations which are equations 2 and 4 in the table, which are:

O2 + 2H2O + 4e- ==> 4OH-
H2 + 2OH- ==> 2H2O + 2e-

The hydrogen electrode goes on the left and the oxygen electrode goes on the right. Remember, the species with the lowest oxidation states go on the outside while species with higher oxidation states go on the inside.

The oxidation state of hydrogen in H2 is 0, the oxidation state of hydrogen in OH- and H2O is +1, therefore H2 will be on the outside while OH- and H2O will go on the inside.

The oxidation state of oxygen in O2 is 0, the oxidation state of oxygen in H2O and OH- is -2, therefore O2 will be on the inside while H2O and OH- will be on the outside.

Therefore the conventional representation for an alkaline hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell is:

Pt(s) | H2(g) | OH-(aq) | H2O(l) || O2(g) | OH-(aq) | H2O(l) | Pt(s)
SHE is ALWAYS on the left hand side. All of the textbooks make this point quite prominent.
I have a c3 exam on tuesday, chem 5 wednesday, bio 5 Thursday & c4 on friday next week and I havent revised for most of them. C3 i just need to do past papers, chem 5 i literally just started revising on friday and im currently still doing chem 5, im on thermo and I still have transition metals to do. i wanted to do c3 papers tomorrow but now I cant bc i'll have to run chem into tomorrow. I need to re-revise bio 5, I havent done any past papers for that and theres a fricking 25 marker at the end....And c4 I still have integration left to do and I completely forgot vectors. And then i have s2 the finall exam on monday which I also havent revised for !! Worst thing is im in a private college and im paying 6k+ so if i flop my final year my mom will kill me. Im actually so stressed and its annoying bc the teachers at my college finished the content for everything so late !! 😭😭😭 im gonna do so bad im gonna cry
Original post by Jpw1097
Firstly you have to select the alkaline half equations which are equations 2 and 4 in the table, which are:

O2 + 2H2O + 4e- ==> 4OH-
H2 + 2OH- ==> 2H2O + 2e-

The hydrogen electrode goes on the left and the oxygen electrode goes on the right. Remember, the species with the lowest oxidation states go on the outside while species with higher oxidation states go on the inside.

The oxidation state of hydrogen in H2 is 0, the oxidation state of hydrogen in OH- and H2O is +1, therefore H2 will be on the outside while OH- and H2O will go on the inside.

The oxidation state of oxygen in O2 is 0, the oxidation state of oxygen in H2O and OH- is -2, therefore O2 will be on the inside while H2O and OH- will be on the outside.

Therefore the conventional representation for an alkaline hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell is:

Pt(s) | H2(g) | OH-(aq) | H2O(l) || O2(g) | OH-(aq) | H2O(l) | Pt(s)

Thank you sooo much
Does anyone know how to do this please??? image.jpeg
Reply 1798
Original post by Chembio123
Does anyone know how to do this please??? image.jpeg

find dy/dx so find two the difference between two different values of y then divide it by the difference between the corresponding values of x
The units are the y units divided by the x units
Then delta S is derived from the formula of deltaG= deltaH-TdeltaS using the same as above
Original post by Ohnis
find dy/dx so find two the difference between two different values of y then divide it by the difference between the corresponding values of x
The units are the y units divided by the x units
Then delta S is derived from the formula of deltaG= deltaH-TdeltaS using the same as above

Excuse how awful I am at PHYSICS, but I found rise over run and got 0.096 where am I going wrong? Like I dunno what to do from there? Paper is June 12 Q2a

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending