The Student Room Group

Headphones

Which headphones would be most suitable for blocking out all the noise from flat mates and there bass music??? Are beats solo HD 2 any good?...I want headphones that will block out all the noise/talking/bass music whilst I play white noise from them for while studying
Reply 1
You could try wearing earplugs underneath on-ear headphones, wax or silicone ones are the most comfortable and best for blocking out noise (I'm something of an expert on them having worn them every night for many years!) and the white noise will still sound fine as long as you turn the volume up a lot.
Original post by Sint
You could try wearing earplugs underneath on-ear headphones, wax or silicone ones are the most comfortable and best for blocking out noise (I'm something of an expert on them having worn them every night for many years!) and the white noise will still sound fine as long as you turn the volume up a lot.

ahhh ear buds. I've tried so many, its crazy. They hurt my ear as hard as hell...I have weird ears i' m guessing. But honestly I've been trying so many different ones...and wont try another. Theyr'e just too painful.

Thats why I'm really wanting to use white noise because it avoids needing ear buds hopefully but then I dont want to to turn the vol up so loud it causes any damage hence looking for best headphones that really cut out the external bass of peoples music/talking etc.
Reply 3
Original post by ThinkPossitive
ahhh ear buds. I've tried so many, its crazy. They hurt my ear as hard as hell...I have weird ears i' m guessing. But honestly I've been trying so many different ones...and wont try another. Theyr'e just too painful.

Thats why I'm really wanting to use white noise because it avoids needing ear buds hopefully but then I dont want to to turn the vol up so loud it causes any damage hence looking for best headphones that really cut out the external bass of peoples music/talking etc.

Oh I see... I don't know much about headphones but I have tried my sister's Bose QuietComfort ones a few times, not sure which exact model though, and they have pretty good noise cancellation.
Original post by Sint
Oh I see... I don't know much about headphones but I have tried my sister's Bose QuietComfort ones a few times, not sure which exact model though, and they have pretty good noise cancellation.

Thanks for all the info mate!

I've heard great stuff about those Bose but there so expensive, making me feel like I should go for Beats because (brand + they look so cool) lol. Ahh I think I need to go to the store and test each with white noise
Above user is right, Bose QC range is the benchmark for noise cancelling.

However they are 200 odd quid used and more new, not really affordable.

Spoiler

These are brilliant at filtering out noise and they sound great too. Affordable
I use Shure SE215 headphones and they are absolutely amazing for sound isolation. I wear them on the bus to work and I can't hear a thing but my music. :smile:
Original post by somemightsay888
Above user is right, Bose QC range is the benchmark for noise cancelling.

However they are 200 odd quid used and more new, not really affordable.

Spoiler

These are brilliant at filtering out noise and they sound great too. Affordable

Thanks for that link! I'll defo give them a look.

But you did mention that Bose was the benchmark ones...so meaning in terms of shutting out all the noise surrounding me (bass music/talking) they would be best but just expensive vs. the one you linked
Senhiser's are good
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
I use Shure SE215 headphones and they are absolutely amazing for sound isolation. I wear them on the bus to work and I can't hear a thing but my music. :smile:

Cheers! I'll defo give these a look. Can you do me a major favor, and play this white noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArwcHjmsw3A though the headphones and lemme know if you can hear anything in the background such as talking etc.
Btw I'm not looking for music..im looking for playing this thought the headphones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArwcHjmsw3A (but want the noise cancelling feature of the headphones so I can listen to it at a lower volume without damaging my hearing!)
Original post by ThinkPossitive
Cheers! I'll defo give these a look. Can you do me a major favor, and play this white noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArwcHjmsw3A though the headphones and lemme know if you can hear anything in the background such as talking etc.

Of course :smile: I'm listening now... zzzzz

In all seriousness though I haven't heard anything so far, just the sounds from the video, but I am in a quiet room.
I use the Shure SE535 myself (part of the same SE family as the SE215) and to get the full effect, you need to have the right size sleeve for your ears to get a good seal, otherwise there will be sound leakage.

Also, bear in mind that noise cancellation and sound isolation are two different things. Noise cancellation uses active circuitry and a microphone to pick up ambient noise and then counter-act that noise.

Sound isolation is much more simpler, yet far more effective as you are essentially blocking out any sound from coming in, but in the middle of the foam sleeves you have the drivers :smile:

One should note however that listening to music will block out more noise than white noise.
Original post by Floydacious
I use the Shure SE535 myself (part of the same SE family as the SE215) and to get the full effect, you need to have the right size sleeve for your ears to get a good seal, otherwise there will be sound leakage.

Also, bear in mind that noise cancellation and sound isolation are two different things. Noise cancellation uses active circuitry and a microphone to pick up ambient noise and then counter-act that noise.

Sound isolation is much more simpler, yet far more effective as you are essentially blocking out any sound from coming in, but in the middle of the foam sleeves you have the drivers :smile:

One should note however that listening to music will block out more noise than white noise.

Thanks for all this! Only problem with music is it distracts me, whilst white noise just keeps me focussed
I suppose it depends on the individual. I for example cannot live without music, but for certain things where I really need to concentrate, then I will go without music.

If you want to listen to proper white noise (basically static), have a listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM

:smile:
Original post by Floydacious
I suppose it depends on the individual. I for example cannot live without music, but for certain things where I really need to concentrate, then I will go without music.

If you want to listen to proper white noise (basically static), have a listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM

:smile:

Problem is I would defo not use any thing at all if I had silence...but my flatmates/those around me are so super loud I keep getting distracted/cant focus whatsoever.

Ahhh that form of white noise is harsh...i use a different one lol (bit softer)...but its not enough to block all the bass music/talking from ppl around me unless I play it at harmful volumes :/

Quick Reply

Latest