The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Economics F585 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pato1
So the reason why the us CA deficit isn't so bad is because they have a surplus in the financial account right?

Yes +
- Trade makes up less than 30% of GDP and the USA is relatively closed economy so it doesn't have that much of an impact.
Reply 541
Why does PED of goods become more elastic over time?
Original post by Pato1
Why does PED of goods become more elastic over time?

more substitutes available in the long run
There have been lots of people who have added to the google docs. It covers the 20 marker. and some other questions. More is being added. Add to it as well. Whatever you add, it will only stick in your memory for longer.
Does anyone else feel that G Economic's Q3 20 marker video isn't that great in terms of answering the question? He spends a lot of time explaining why supply-side reforms are necessary, using information from the extract extensively, but fails to really examine in depth the benefits/drawbacks of multiple supply side policies. Just my thoughts, maybe I misunderstood the question, but I would definitely not approach the question like that. (I think G Economics is great and have watched all his other videos which are very helpful! Not hating on him!)
Should we be putting in an alternative such as a monetary policy as Gconomics has suggested or is it not necessary?
can anyone summarise Zambia's economic position? like in terms of inflation, level of growth, current account position ect and anything else that is relevant
Reply 547
Original post by KingAweT
Should we be putting in an alternative such as a monetary policy as Gconomics has suggested or is it not necessary?

It's not an alternative policy, it's one you will use alongside Supply Side
Stress the importance of Monetary Policy (expansionary) allowing investment to stimulate both SR and LR growth.
Original post by Pato1
It's not an alternative policy, it's one you will use alongside Supply Side

So should we be putting this into our evaluation and conclusion?
Reply 550
So should we be putting this into our evaluation and conclusion?

Yes part of your Ao4 needs to stress SS policy alone is not enough
Reply 551
Original post by Newitt97
can anyone summarise Zambia's economic position? like in terms of inflation, level of growth, current account position ect and anything else that is relevant
TLDR; everything is pretty *****y
Original post by Pato1
Yes part of your Ao4 needs to stress SS policy alone is not enough

Yeah my teacher told our class this. In my judgement I'm going to write something like "It's clear that supply side policy alone cannot rectify all of Zambia's problems. In conjunction with monetary policy i.e. lowering interest rates to further encourage domestic entrepeneurship will have a more sustainable and effective impact
Original post by charlieoakley97
Yeah my teacher told our class this. In my judgement I'm going to write something like "It's clear that supply side policy alone cannot rectify all of Zambia's problems. In conjunction with monetary policy i.e. lowering interest rates to further encourage domestic entrepeneurship will have a more sustainable and effective impact

Do we have to have analysed that in our essay as a point or could we just bring it in and mention it in the analysis?
really silly question but why does an improvement of infrastructure leads to an increase in FDI?
Do we have to have analysed that in our essay as a point or could we just bring it in and mention it in the analysis?

Not in the main body of the essay since the focus is on supply side. Just bring it in within your judgement at the end I'd say
Original post by Loyle
TLDR; everything is pretty *****y

tldr?
Original post by charlieoakley97
Not in the main body of the essay since the focus is on supply side. Just bring it in within your judgement at the end I'd say

Ah okay sweet, so just a sentence in the conclusion to show that you're aware that alongside another policy it would work best.
Reply 558
Original post by Mariesmiths
really silly question but why does an improvement of infrastructure leads to an increase in FDI?
in theory yes coz firms look at it like "oi boys look, theres a bangin road in zambia, lets put our factory there coz it'll be bare cheap labour n now roads r sik af so lets go boiz"
Original post by Loyle
in theory yes coz firms look at it like "oi boys look, theres a bangin road in zambia, lets put our factory there coz it'll be bare cheap labour n now roads r sik af so lets go boiz"

haha thanks!!! the way you've worded it has actually explained it really well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending