The Student Room Group

Choosing universities based on ranking/course type...

Hi, so my younger sibling is unsure. Without giving any names, a university ranked around 25 offered him an unconditional Bsc, while another university ranked around 75 offered him an unconditional integrated Masters course with a year in industry (4 years including placement).

The courses are the same, chemistry based. He could do a placement year on a bachelors as well, but he said he'd probably be tempted to finish the bachelors fast instead of doing a placement.

What would be better?
The courses are unlikely to be the same. Has your brother looked in detail at the modules (particularly the optional modules), because there are bound to be differences.

Before the new postgraduate loan came out, there was a clear benefit to doing an integrated master's degree. i.e. you could use student loans to pay for your master's level qualification. But now postgrad loans are available, I don't think there is any real benefit to doing an integrated master's degree (especially as he doesn't sound that keen on doing a placement).
Reply 2
Original post by Hitashami
Hi, so my younger sibling is unsure. Without giving any names, a university ranked around 25 offered him an unconditional Bsc, while another university ranked around 75 offered him an unconditional integrated Masters course with a year in industry (4 years including placement).

The courses are the same, chemistry based. He could do a placement year on a bachelors as well, but he said he'd probably be tempted to finish the bachelors fast instead of doing a placement.

What would be better?

I study Chemistry (MChem) (Going into my 3rd year)
I'll be happy to speak to you over PM if you want to discuss the university choices in further.

By the way, Uni league tables are completely wrong.
Look at reasons why university A & B differ on league tables and you'll see why they can normally be discounted.
I hope he has visited both of the units to see how he feels about the campus, department and accommodation etc.
Course modules and options are important, and I wouldn't discount the placement as massively improves scope for employability when he graduates or is something to put on Masters application

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending