The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by particlestudent
Look at the two I quoted, everyone is saying different things :/.

this is from the textbook i am right.IMG_20160619_205537[1].jpg
Original post by TajwarC

20160619_205239.jpg

How the hell does the formula work then?
Reply 942
Which one is right? :s-smilie:

I am. I just realised i got mistaken. Anyway what i meant to say was emf is max when the flux linkage for the coil is zero, ignore anything I said about the field lines
glad we cleared that up!
Original post by kingaaran
The alternating current generator:

You have the greatest emf induced when the sides of your coil are perpendicular to the field lines. This is where the rate of change of flux linkage is largest, generating the maximum emf.

You have the smallest emf when the sides of your coil are parallel to the field lines. This is where the rate of change of flux linkage is least, generating the lowest emf (which is, in fact, 0).

People on here seem to be getting confused between the sides of the coil and the plane of the coil.

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 945
Is electric potential negative? (like gravitational potential)
Which one is right? :s-smilie:

Nerrad is right. If you think of a coil where the plane of the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic flux, there is maximum flux associated with the coil so the flux linkage is MAXIMUM. A slight rotation of the coil won't change the amount of flux associated with the coil, so the rate of change of flux linkage is small. EMF is proportional to the rate of change of flux linkage (Faraday's Law), so the induced EMF is minimum when the plane of the coil is perpendicular to the field.

If the plane of the coil is parallel to the field, the magnetic flux associated with the coil is 0. A slight rotation of the coil will associate flux with the coil so the rate of change of flux linkage is higher as it begins at 0 flux linkage when parallel. EMF is maximum when the coil is rotated from a position parallel to magnetic flux.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 947
Yknow this physics thing is doing my head in
Reply 948
Guys you've left me in an existential situation where I don't even know what's right or wrong anymore. I guess I'm gonna go off this forum for a bit now. Ciao. Hope you guys figure it out
Original post by Parallex
Nerrad is right. If you think of a coil where the plane of the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic flux, there is maximum flux associated with the coil so the flux linkage is MAXIMUM. A slight rotation of the coil won't change the amount of flux associated with the coil, so the rate of change of flux linkage is small. EMF is proportional to the rate of change of flux linkage (Faraday's Law), so the induced EMF is minimum when the plane of the coil is perpendicular to the field.

If the plane of the coil is parallel to the field, the magnetic flux associated with the coil is 0. A slight rotation of the coil will associate flux with the coil so the rate of change of flux linkage is higher as it begins at 0 flux linkage when parallel. EMF is maximum when the coil is rotated from a position parallel to magnetic flux.

This has confused me even more. I think Kingaran cleared it up at the top as to why everyone keeps saying different things
Original post by Parallex

If the plane of the coil is parallel to the field, the magnetic flux associated with the coil is 0. A slight rotation of the coil will associate flux with the coil so the rate of change of flux linkage is very high as it begins at 0 flux linkage when parallel. EMF is maximum when the coil is rotated from a position parallel to the field.

quoting from the textbook says: the induced emf is zero when the sides of the coil move parallel to the field lines
The alternating current generator:

You have the greatest emf induced when the sides of your coil are perpendicular to the field lines. This is where the rate of change of flux linkage is largest, generating the maximum emf.

You have the smallest emf when the sides of your coil are parallel to the field lines. This is where the rate of change of flux linkage is least, generating the lowest emf (which is, in fact, 0).

People on here seem to be getting confused between the sides of the coil and the plane of the coil.

okay this clear it up nicely. The plane is essentially when you look at it from above, right?
I'm guessing a 6 marker on SHM is due... Probably something to do with damping / resonance or a calculation based one

What could you say for 6 marks on SHM? and Damping was done a lot last year
Can someone please explain what back emf is?
Reply 954
couple hours till the exam and I be getting baffed between emf and flux:s-smilie:
Original post by TajwarC
okay this clear it up nicely. The plane is essentially when you look at it from above, right?

Yeah

Original post by ememoville
What could you say for 6 marks on SHM? and Damping was done a lot last year

Depends on whatever they want to question you on!
i think its important to realise that at the point where the SIDES of the coil are parallel to the field lines, the PLANE of the coil is perpendicular. and vice versa.
I think the 6 marker will most likely be -

Transformers
Electromag situation
Cycletron
Reply 958
for this question, would you use left or right hand rule
Shout out to Tom Muir 😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending