The Student Room Group

"From a young age I have always been..." What not to write in your PS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Ugh, clowns.

"I cannot remember a time when I haven't wanted to frighten people."
Original post by Good bloke
"I cannot remember a time when I haven't wanted to frighten people."

Well, you know, I feel the same, but ugh, clowns...
I wrote a couple of cliches in mine. The statement wasn't saturated with them but I honestly couldn't resist despite better advice.
"I am applying for this course because..." is artless but relevant and concise. I would take it over any of the others and probably most else that was written.
Original post by Observatory
"I am applying for this course because..." is artless but relevant and concise. I would take it over any of the others and probably most else that was written.

"I am applying for this course because I am a middle class 17 year old who has been indoctrinated since I emerged from my mother's womb [thanks Returnmigrant] that the only objective of school has been to obtain a place at the best university I can as determined by my peers using 30 year information from parents, limited and often self-serving information from teachers, universities' own publicity machines and league tables showing amongst other things which universities' have the most energy efficient toilets. Given that I have received no careers advice whatsoever and that my social circle looks down upon anybody who actually makes anything, I have decided to accept my destiny. As I have no understanding of what any vocational course entails or, with the exception of medicine and law (which I fully understand from watching House and Suits respectively) what the relevant careers involve, I have decided to study the course which most closely approximates to my favourite school subject. In my case this is history. I hope to study history for the next three years by which time I hope to have a full understanding of the causes of the Second World War (insofar as they are documented in English and available online) and the fall of Thomas Wolsey. On completing my degree, I hope to study for a masters in the political doctrines of the Third Reich and the fall of Thomas Cromwell. Equipped with transferrable skills in the rise of fascist dictators and the fall of Tudor statesmen I hope to obtain a graduate traineeship with a blue chip investment bank where I will learn advanced financial skills such as "reading a balance sheet" and "preparing a cashflow forecast". I hold a rhodium with platinum star Duke of Edinburgh Award for which I had to undertake a near death experience on Skiddaw. If I can raise £3.50 to fund-match my parents' £5,000 I will be having a short-gap year where I will help the natives of Phuket to build mud huts. I like reading classic fiction and have just finished Superman v The Zombies. I will shortly start on The Zombies v Superman. I am sorry this isn't 42 lines of pure unbroken text, but I cannot think of anything else to put."
Sorry to bump this thread but I started mine with 'Like'. Ha. At least it was authentic to my actual speech.
Original post by Edminzodo
Sorry to bump this thread but I started mine with 'Like'. Ha. At least it was authentic to my actual speech.

"Like Ramesses II, I too aspire to be a great leader of the New Kingdom"?
Original post by Plagioclase
"Like Ramesses II, I too aspire to be a great leader of the New Kingdom"?

Sadly not . . . Although that is something I aspire to. :yep:

'Like Tutankhamun, I intend to be worshipped and adored by many for utterly no reason after my untimely death, possibly at the hands of a chariot or my murderous relatives.'

Spoiler

Original post by Edminzodo
Sadly not . . . Although that is something I aspire to. :yep:

'Like Tutankhamun, I intend to be worshipped and adored by many for utterly no reason after my untimely death, possibly at the hands of a chariot or my murderous relatives.'

Spoiler

I was going to say Tutankhamun but then I thought that dying at a very young age possibly isn't something to aspire to. Despite the snazzy death mask.
Original post by Plagioclase
I was going to say Tutankhamun but then I thought that dying at a very young age possibly isn't something to aspire to. Despite the snazzy death mask.

A mask with a beard that falls off, though . . . Oh, Tutankhamun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending