The Student Room Group

Can I lose 3 stone in 3 months?

I know it sounds ambitious but im going to go on a fitness hype from 24 th june to 18 september i want to lose at least three stones before uni starts . Im 5, 10 and overweight i normally go gum and swim and will obviously carry on going after the period i want to lose fat ,tone up and build muscle.
Is it doable and any tips and advise

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
3 stone, might be pushing it but depends on how hard you are willing to work.
Reply 2
Original post by Nemmeros

Yh i know i wanted to be realistic but i thought id set a higher goal to make me work
I need to smash it and give 210% its going to be hard just worried about platueing and all
Reply 3
Original post by smile43
I know it sounds ambitious but im going to go on a fitness hype from 24 th june to 18 september i want to lose at least three stones before uni starts . Im 5, 10 and overweight i normally go gum and swim and will obviously carry on going after the period i want to lose fat ,tone up and build muscle.

Hunger strike?
Original post by Nemmeros

that is so true
There's no way you're losing that much weight healthly in that amount of time

to lose that you'd have to lose over 3lb a week. Which is 10500 calorie deficit per week as a lb of fat is 3500 calories. That's a 1500 calorie deficit per day. So ergo you're going to have to starve yourself to achieve that. Not healthy at all.

Set yourself the goal of one stone, it's easily achievable being about a 500 calorie deficit a day. Use a total daily energy expenditure calculator to workout how many calories to need to eat a day to maintain. Then use an app like myfitnesspal to track the calories you eat and aim for 500 calories underneath your total daily energy expenditure. It's simple and it works. For further ideas and nutrition, check out the fitness 101 at the top of the fitness page
Exercise, 3 litres of water, CLEAN FOOD. Like really clean food and cut down your calorie intake to which suits you. Can be done, but you need to keep your body moving and eat clean
Original post by smile43

It would depend on your stats, but I'm going with no.

Did you put the weight on in 3 months?

You dont sound well prepared or focused.

You will need to create a daily deficit of minimum 1500 calories . Every day

Learn how to lose weight and how it all works then it will make sense.

Imo you might strat off well, lose some water weight at the beginning, hit a wall, overdo it, get bored and then binge,

Feel free to prove us wrong and lose it in 3 months, then I will be impressed.
(edited 7 years ago)
You don't have to eat clean food to lose weight, you can lose weight eating just chicken nuggets so long as the calories are right. It's just not the healthiest thing in the world to do.

Everything Angry Cucumber said is completely correct, do that OP.
Original post by samina_ay
Exercise, 3 litres of water, CLEAN FOOD. Like really clean food and cut down your calorie intake to which suits you. Can be done, but you need to keep your body moving and eat clean

She doesnt need to drink 3 litres.
She doesnt need to eat clean.

Its calorie deficit that matters.

What cucumber and sophie said.
Original post by 999tigger

If you want to lose any amount of weight healthily, clean food is a must.
Original post by ||TheUnknown||

No it isnt.

Weight loss is about calories.

The most related factor is exercise as that can include additional calorie burns as well as protect against muscle loss.

Food can aid the above two in making them more effective or easier to keep to, but iit doesnt have to be clean whatever you mean by that.

Learning to portion control and eat nutritiously is a help.
No it isnt.

The most related factor is exercise as that can include additional calorie burns as well as protect against muscle loss.

Food can aid the above two in making them more effective or easier to keep to, but iit doesnt have to be clean whatever you mean by that.

Maybe I should have written healthily in bold.
Maybe I should have written healthily in bold.

Whether weight loss is healthy or not depends on the rate of loss and assumes whether you are getting adequate nutritions. Nothing to do with whether its clean or not.
You dont have to eat clean to get a nutrutious balanced diet.
You cannot define clean eating. It doesn't exist. Whilst OP should eat a good diet, with lots of veggies in it and relatively low in fat. To eliminate all sets you up for a fail Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a powerlifter on YouTube who successfully lost bodyfat eating nothing but Chipotle :colonhash:

She can lose weight by doing both of those things. At the end of the day it's just eat less and do more :redface:
Original post by samina_ay
She can lose weight by doing both of those things. At the end of the day it's just eat less and do more :redface:

So why are you telling her to do them? She wont lose weight any quicker that way.
No it isnt.

Not really. I could have 500 calories in snickers bars or 500 calories in fruit. They're metabolised differently and have completely different nutritional contents which contributes to it. Low carb low fat diet for easy weight loss plus possibly high protein for toning up is quite frankly eating clean with fruit and veg combined with sufficient protein containing products like low fat meat (eg turkey breast).

Don't see how you're saying that's wrong when it quite clearly isnt
Original post by rxns_00
Not really. I could have 500 calories in snickers bars or 500 calories in fruit. They're metabolised differently and have completely different nutritional contents which contributes to it. Low carb low fat diet for easy weight loss plus possibly high protein for toning up is quite frankly eating clean with fruit and veg combined with sufficient protein containing products like low fat meat (eg turkey breast).

Don't see how you're saying that's wrong when it quite clearly isnt

Unless youve reinvented thrermodynamics, weight loss is about calories.
Nutrition isnt weight loss, although it has its role to play.
You dont have to have low carb low fat.

You could also eat a 500 calorie surplus of turkey breast and you will gain weight, but a 500 calorie deficit of snokers and you will lose.
Clean eating (if you care to define it) has nothing to do with it. That isnt to say you shouldnt eat nutritiously, but that is a different matter.

Will the OP lose 3 stone in 3 months? I doubt it. A 1500 + daily deficit would be very hard to maintain.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest