The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

I got a tip from a guy on an A level physics facebook page:

before the exam even starts, ask for extra paper!! It'll help, The time you spend waiting for the invidulators to walk to the front and get it will be wasted. Do rough work on there for the MCQ's as there's never enough space
Can someone explain how the answer is B?
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
Can someone explain how the answer is B?

Mass = Rate x density = 0.2kg/s

Velocity = Rate/cross section = 0.28m/s

Momentum = mv = 0.056Ns
Original post by thomas42
Mass = Rate x density = 0.2kg/s

Velocity = Rate/cross section = 0.28m/s

Momentum = mv = 0.056Ns

Thanks
Can someone plz help me with this question. Why is the answer A, and not B or even C?
tsr.png
Original post by koolgurl14
Can someone plz help me with this question. Why is the answer A, and not B or even C?
tsr.png

It can't be C cos the field is horizontal as well so no force is exerted?
And I guess it's not B cos if you use Fleming's Left Hand rule, the forces don't actually act as a couple as they point towards each other.
Not completely sure but that's my take on it :tongue:
Original post by ManOfJustTin
It can't be C cos the field is horizontal as well so no force is exerted?
And I guess it's not B cos if you use Fleming's Left Hand rule, the forces don't actually act as a couple as they point towards each other.
Not completely sure but that's my take on it :tongue:

Yh I see what you mean but the forces will be point away from each other is that what you meant?
Yh I see what you mean but the forces will be point away from each other is that what you meant?

I thought it was towards. I must be doing the stupid hand rule wrong then sorry 😅
Original post by ManOfJustTin
I thought it was towards. I must be doing the stupid hand rule wrong then sorry 😅

Nah the forces do point towards each other
Original post by cjlh
Nah the forces do point towards each other

What I am confused now are we using left hand rule ? is the current finger not up because we do it based on conventional current, god this is confusing why do i keep doing this wrong :frown:
Reply 1070
dw guys ill be lowering the grade boundaries for you all :smile: im so screwed :smile:
What I am confused now are we using left hand rule ? is the current finger not up because we do it based on conventional current, god this is confusing why do i keep doing this wrong :frown:

If we consider the closest wire, the current finger (middle) should point up with the first finger pointing in the field giving you motion inwards.

Just remember this and you should be fine. Left hand rule for protons and current
Right hand rule for Generators and electrons.
Original post by SirRaza97
Just remember this and you should be fine. Left hand rule for protons and current
Right hand rule for Generators and electrons.

With current do you mean conventional current? if so in the questions is it a conventional current or electron direction that they are showing us?
Reply 1074
The only positive thing about tomorrows exam is I can catch up on sleep.
Lets just say im unprepared for this.
With current do you mean conventional current? if so in the questions is it a conventional current or electron direction that they are showing us?

Ive done all the papers and have always used LHR for current. Thats conventional current. I do not think itll be any different. Be wary though if they state otherwise in the question though

As far as I know, LHR works for both electron flow and conventional current flow, since - after all - conventional current flow is actually opposite to the direction of the electron flow.

Your left hand and right hand are non-superimposable mirror images, the rule works for both the proton and electron scenario.
When you can't sleep tho :/// lol
Gonna flop physics...
Good luck everyone 👍
Just a quick question about flux before we go in......... :-)

Good luck everyone, remember this is the fun part (sort of) you get to show off what youve learnt all year.....its game day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending