The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL, Unit 5: Transition Metals and Organic Nitrogen Chemistry. 22-Jun-2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mehodax
I think it should be B if you look at the ionic equation of oxidation of Fe2+ to Fe3+.
Which paper is this from?

No the answer is A, I thought B too.
It's from June 2011 or possibly Jan 2016 I'm not too sure though
Original post by zahragoli97
The hydride ion H- is a strong reducing agent, a good nucleophile and a strong base. Which of the following changes could NOT be bought about by the ion. A)CH3CHO to CH3CH2OH
B) C2H5BR to C2H6
C) CH2=CH2 to C2H6
D) CH3COOH to CH3COO-
can someone help me with this question please(its unit 5)

The answer is C. All other reactions are reduction reactions, which can be brought about by the strong reducing agent H-. C, however, is an oxidation reaction.
Original post by bobbydylan
No the answer is A, I thought B too.
It's from June 2011 or possibly Jan 2016 I'm not too sure though

It is from January 2016 (WCH05). The answer is A and here is why...

In order to prepare a suitable half cell, you have to have equal concentrations of Fe3+ anf Fe2+. The question asks you the mole ratio of FeSO4 and Fe2(SO4)3.

As you can see, although iron(II)sulphate gives rise to 1 mole of Fe2+ions, iron(III) sulphate gives rise to 2 moles of Fe3+. In order for the mole numbers of Fe2+ and Fe3+ to be equal, therefore, you need two moles of iron(II)sulphate and one mole of iron(III)sulphate. Both will give rise to 2 moles of ions.

Thus, the mole ratio of iron(II)sulphate to iron(III)sulphate becomes 2:1, therefore, A.
if anybody will finish the exam before 9gmt message me i want to talk
Reply 144
Original post by jwanjwan
if anybody will finish the exam before 9gmt message me i want to talk

I finish at 6:40 GMT.
Haha, I won't talk to you.
I mean, that would be unfair.
I don't think anyone would talk to you.
They've prepared so hard for the exams.
What would make you think someone would like to do that?
I think something on fuel cells, the stability constant (Facer book page 223) and Cr 3+ to Cr 2+ preparation techniques (Facer page 224 and CGP page 92) will all come up, haven't really seen much of them in previous past papers. Also you know that redox / transition metals will come up in section C since it was organic last year, that's all I can really predict for the exam. I think it will be hard but hopefully it will be like the other three papers they've given us this year which all weren't too bad (plus the A's in coursework in hope we all got) :smile:
Reply 146
Original post by It's dat boi
I think something on fuel cells, the stability constant (Facer book page 223) and Cr 3+ to Cr 2+ preparation techniques (Facer page 224 and CGP page 92) will all come up, haven't really seen much of them in previous past papers. Also you know that redox / transition metals will come up in section C since it was organic last year, that's all I can really predict for the exam. I think it will be hard but hopefully it will be like the other three papers they've given us this year which all weren't too bad (plus the A's in coursework in hope we all got) :smile:

o **** waddup
does anyone have the international June 2015 Unit 5 paper and markscheme? thank u
Reply 148
Original post by lollypop101
does anyone have the international June 2015 Unit 5 paper and markscheme? thank u

It's available everywhere, why do you have trouble finding it?
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/past-papers/a-level-chemistry/edexcel-unit-5/
can someone explain question 22 b) part ii) http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A-Level/Chemistry/2013/Exam-materials/6CH05_01_que_20150615.pdf you need to use the table from part b i)
Original post by Blazyy
It's available everywhere, why do you have trouble finding it?
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/past-papers/a-level-chemistry/edexcel-unit-5/

I literally found it on the same website 2 minutes after posting that but thanks
Reply 151
Original post by milogillot
can someone explain question 22 b) part ii) http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A-Level/Chemistry/2013/Exam-materials/6CH05_01_que_20150615.pdf you need to use the table from part b i)

For experiment A, you need to take the 2nd and 4th equations from the table and combine to get the vanadium product. (use the anti clock wise rule) This product will have a certain oxidation state, and the observation can be found out by linking the oxidation state with the colour.
Same thing for experiment B
Original post by Blazyy
For experiment A, you need to take the 2nd and 4th equations from the table and combine to get the vanadium product. (use the anti clock wise rule) This product will have a certain oxidation state, and the observation can be found out by linking the oxidation state with the colour.
Same thing for experiment B

i applied the anti clockwise rule as usual but i got the signs the wrong way round
Reply 153
If you're a bit foggy on this topic try watching this video : https://goo.gl/LRO8jD
Hi everyone, would appreciate if anyone can help me out in these mcqs:

1. If the temperature of of the nitration of benzene is allowed to rise too high, dinitration and trinitration can occur. This is the evidence that the:
A) nitro group is electron withdrawing
B) nitro group is electron donating
C) delocalisation energy of nitrobenzene is greater than that of benzene.
D) delocalisation energy of nitrobenzene is less than that of benzene.
Why is the answer A? I thought it was B.

2. June 2015 IAL Q17 Why is the answer B?
Why is sulfuric acid necessary in the oxidation of alcohols?
Original post by It's dat boi

but all of that came up in the IAL jan 2016 paper, surely they'll know we've got access to it and wouldn't repeat content?
Reply 157
I know it's too late but could someone please help me with this? :3
Capture.PNG
Why is it not B?
Original post by Aimen.
Capture.PNG
Why is it not B?

The concentration should be 1.0 mol dm-3 not 0.5 in a standard hydrogen electrode
Original post by Aimen.
Capture.PNG
Why is it not B?

The pressure of Hydrogen gas in hydrogen-fuel cell should be at atm so D

How did you find Jan 2016 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending