The Student Room Group

Official OCR A2 G484 June 2016 [Module 1] [90UMS]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by steph-carys
Damn, I botched up my graph then. Hopefully there will be full ecf for following calculations..

nope. it is released from rest, therefore KE is zero at start, the max KE reached is 50 since PE released is 50 :L
Q1:velocity is 5.38. D is 3.45. Height is 0.6m
Original post by steph-carys
Hey same here! :frown: Plus I messed up the mass of S2... and the hose question...

Yeah I messed up on the hose because I went into autopilot and thought what we calculated in I) was momentum smh. So I worked out everything correctly method wise, but used wrong value for momentum. For the s2 mass, I got 1.73*10^33, anyone else?
Original post by wispaedits
nope. it is released from rest, therefore KE is zero at start, the max KE reached is 50 since PE released is 50 :L

Truly annoyed at myself now for making such an idiotic mistake
E=mgh times 50 =mc change temp

Therefore m cancelled out double m doesn't affect temp
Original post by Danny_L
Yeah I messed up on the hose because I went into autopilot and thought what we calculated in I) was momentum smh. So I worked out everything correctly method wise, but used wrong value for momentum. For the s2 mass, I got 1.73*10^33, anyone else?

I got confused between vertical and horizontal in the moment, if that makes you feel any better xD
Reply 286
Original post by yuweizheng
E=mgh times 50 =mc change temp

Therefore m cancelled out double m doesn't affect temp

Yeah, that's what I said
Reply 287
Original post by Oddowl
Thats what i thought, but surely, when the mass is doubled, the energy is doubled (mgh) so wouldnt the temperature increase aswell? I understand the equation obviously shows that temperature changeshouldnt increase, but i cannot understand how this is the case in a physical way.

E=mc theta
C inversely proportional to mass
E=mgh
E proportional to mass
C proportional to E, so proportional to m and inversely proportional to m
m/m is 1 so stays the same
Original post by Artmanlikesart
Areas were different because distances of bounces were different
In common - same type, same time, same magnitude
Different - different bodies, opposite direction
I think if the moon was closer it's period would get smaller
My assumption were KE = GPE perfectly, and that all beads fell from the same height
Internal energy is directly proportional to temp E = (3/2)kT

I think you that last one you could also talk about potential energy as they did not say it was an ideal gas (correct me if they did)
Original post by UnknownAnon
Anyone else absolutely hate that exam? Had a mini panic attack during it. Just gonna find a way to sell my soul for an A haha

I did too... I feel like the format was completely different? All the questions were very non-standard . I think last years paper was much nicer than this (Kepler's 3rd law derivation came up!) maybe other than the very last question about the balloon. The moment the invigilator said 10 minutes left I started shaking like mad. So you're not alone. Good luck. Lets hope for low grade boundaries.
Original post by yuweizheng
Q1:velocity is 5.38. D is 3.45. Height is 0.6m

how though?
Mass of star?
Reply 292
Original post by decombatwombat
1070? I did mass x velocity to get the force, then did that times sin 55 and added it to his weight, though you might have to had taken it away.

No add since the hose provides a force downwards
For S2 mass, I used keplers third law and rearranged.
M = (4pisquared x (3.6*10^12)^3)/(G x (86400x365x4)^2)
=1.73*10^33
What is the question of last S1,S2 R1,R2 question? I can't remember did I find the mass or velocity.
I got 969 too for the fireman question
everyone in here is calculating the mass of c but not s2......same as me
Original post by victoria98
I did too... I feel like the format was completely different? All the questions were very non-standard . I think last years paper was much nicer than this (Kepler's 3rd law derivation came up!) maybe other than the very last question about the balloon. The moment the invigilator said 10 minutes left I started shaking like mad. So you're not alone. Good luck. Lets hope for low grade boundaries.

I definitely agree. I really liked last years paper. Plus this year had no long questions which I usually prefer. I've given up hope on this. Just hope G485 is amazing.
Original post by Danny_L
Same fmll. Was going for 100% umsd
too. Think I may miss out now

I thought max KE was 80mJ?
Original post by Oddowl
Thats what i thought, but surely, when the mass is doubled, the energy is doubled (mgh) so wouldnt the temperature increase aswell? I understand the equation obviously shows that temperature changeshouldnt increase, but i cannot understand how this is the case in a physical way.

but surely you could have done E(workdone)=Fx
therefore mass wouldn't cancel out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending