The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mango Milkshake
1st one

area under graph

Couldn't you just calculcate Energy for first capacitor, then energy for when it decreases, then minus biggest from smallesT?
MCQ's were harder. Paper was okay. I think boundaries will be a bit higher than last years. Maybe 52 A, 47 B, 42 C?
Original post by Burnzi
How did you guys work out the time constant of the capacitor? I worked out the resistance then used that to get the time constant but then the next part of the question asked you to work out the resistance so I'm guessing you were supposed to do the first part a different way

yes, you use decay of charge equation with voltage
Original post by TheLazyGuy1
it is Y to X because the magnitude was -2F

magnitude can't be negative lol
Was potential 5Q/8piEor and was the other potential -4GM/d?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the multiple choice with 2nc and -1nc you added 2nc to both didnt you? So it would repel by 4F? I wasn't so confident
1/g my friend. Not g

Posted from TSR Mobile
Daughter

No
Original post by Hattie28
I got 6.06x10^6 for something aswell :smile:

yessss i got 6.06x106 aswell as g would be 4x greater
Original post by lucabrasi98
How can you guys have found the 6 marker hard? Haven't your teachers made you do past ISA's? Because I'm pretty sure I've basically seen that exact question in an ISA

We did this this year.
Original post by lucabrasi98
How can you guys have found the 6 marker hard? Haven't your teachers made you do past ISA's? Because I'm pretty sure I've basically seen that exact question in an ISA

I thought that was the easiest 6 marker of any past papers simply because I've done the experiment before but I'd think that if you haven't done it it would be very hard.
Reply 1290
MC was definitely more difficult.. Required many more calculations and had more little trip-up questions. On the other hand second B was pretty standard with only application/HSW questions posing much difficulty. I would expect grade boundaries to be average.
Also boundaries will no doubt be marginally lower due to the silly people completely missing the question over the 6 marker so we all have to thank the silly people in question:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by duncant
what did people say for the effect when that guy recorded only half of T? was it (1/4)g?

I said the g (calculated in his investigation) is 4 times greater than what it should be as
T=2π x √(l/g)
T^(2)=4π^(2) x (l/g)
g=(4π^(2) x l ) / T^2

Therefore g is proportional to (1/T^2)

0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25
1/0.25 = 4 (Hence the effect results in the g calculated being 4 times greater than it should be.)

A little long-winded I know but I hope it makes sense.
Original post by TJ_gym
Couldn't you just calculcate Energy for first capacitor, then energy for when it decreases, then minus biggest from smallesT?

That's what I did. Plus the graph wasn't even starting from 0. Finding the area would be dodgy
Original post by Yo12345
Was potential 5Q/8piEor and was the other potential -4GM/d?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put -5Q, for the first one, was there a positive version?

I also put -4 for the second one.
Original post by rich1334
For the multiple choice with 2nc and -1nc you added 2nc to both didnt you? So it would repel by 4F? I wasn't so confident

Thats what i put but like 5 people below this have said otherwise
Can someone put the marks for each question for section B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
no

i put the amplitude has to be lower than 10 degrees

which question was this?
yes, you use decay of charge equation with voltage

magnitude can't be negative lol

It asked for the direction of the force on x which was indeed y to x
Ergh I done my graph like this, anyone else done it like this -_-:frown:
Original post by james2mid
No