The Student Room Group

B7 21C (21st Century New GCSE Biology - UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME

Scroll to see replies

Question 15 on ecosysten services, they asked examples, so I used my knowledge from revision guides and put water, game ie pheasant hunting and fish as food. If it is examples, surely they don't want what kind of services they are but examples of them.
I think both types will pick up three marks.
What was the answer to the % increase in risk one because didn't it go from 5.6 to 11 so that'd be like a 96% increase ?? Or did I read it wrong
for number 1 I put how much you smoke for one and how much alcohol you drink for the other...would that get the full 1 mark? Also, for question two I said the two things about your medical history could be 1.what illnesses/diseases have you/do you have? and 2. How are these affecting your health today? Would that get me the 1 mark too? Thanks!
Reply 23
Just to say I'm fairly (like 96%) sure the info about antibiotics for the last six marker is vital for 6 marks. In the question it asked you to describe how they can identify which bacteria were successfully modified and you identify by putting in antibiotics to the fermenter. The bacteria which didn't accept the plasmid with the insulin gene and antibiotic gene will be killed and the successfully modified bacteria will survive.
Reply 24
Also for the 6 marker about Neil (including the info from before):

His BMI is 31 which suggests he is obese, however BMI isn't always the most accurate as someone who has a lot of muscle may register as obese or very obese simply because muscle is higher density than fat. Body fat % gives a more accurate result and because According to the chart Neil has an above average % body fat, he should be concerned.
"Holes in the bag to stop suffocation" as a tickbox answer for Question 18? I don't agree.

There is technically a scientific approach towards this. The fact that oxygen can pass through to prevent suffocation?

I think the correct tickbox should be the ones about the bags in the streets.

Also, you mentioned the ecosystem waste question twice.

Other than that, everything looks okay.
Original post by stormblazer999
"Holes in the bag to stop suffocation" as a tickbox answer for Question 18? I don't agree.

There is technically a scientific approach towards this. The fact that oxygen can pass through to prevent suffocation?

I have to agree
Original post by Nicky3467
What was the answer to the % increase in risk one because didn't it go from 5.6 to 11 so that'd be like a 96% increase ?? Or did I read it wrong

It was already in percentages tho x
Original post by kate37
Just to say I'm fairly (like 96%) sure the info about antibiotics for the last six marker is vital for 6 marks. In the question it asked you to describe how they can identify which bacteria were successfully modified and you identify by putting in antibiotics to the fermenter. The bacteria which didn't accept the plasmid with the insulin gene and antibiotic gene will be killed and the successfully modified bacteria will survive.

I said you could add a florescent chemical to the vector? does that work the same way was the antibiotic?
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Question 15 on ecosysten services, they asked examples, so I used my knowledge from revision guides and put water, game ie pheasant hunting and fish as food. If it is examples, surely they don't want what kind of services they are but examples of them.
I think both types will pick up three marks.
they would count yes as food is one of the eco-services through game and fish.
Original post by kate37
that makes perfect sense. will add that bit in now. x
Original post by tereziscool
I said you could add a florescent chemical to the vector? does that work the same way was the antibiotic?

Possibly as that is genetic testing and it would help find the faulty gene however I don't know if that's what they were looking for.

But isn't biodegrading to do with science because of the properties of the plastic?
Original post by kate37
Also for the 6 marker about Neil (including the info from before):

His BMI is 31 which suggests he is obese, however BMI isn't always the most accurate as someone who has a lot of muscle may register as obese or very obese simply because muscle is higher density than fat. Body fat % gives a more accurate result and because According to the chart Neil has an above average % body fat, he should be concerned.

Will add it in now. Many thanks
Original post by blessingmariee
But isn't biodegrading to do with science because of the properties of the plastic?

Maybe you're right - but either way I personally don't think the suffocation tickbox is totally right but you potentially might get it right.
Original post by 123ppp123
for number 1 I put how much you smoke for one and how much alcohol you drink for the other...would that get the full 1 mark? Also, for question two I said the two things about your medical history could be 1.what illnesses/diseases have you/do you have? and 2. How are these affecting your health today? Would that get me the 1 mark too? Thanks!

You should get one mark for the lifestyle but I don't think you would for the medical history because the first question for medical history is correct BUT the GP would know how this affects you, so that bit is incorrect.

Best
Maybe you're right - but either way I personally don't think the suffocation tickbox is totally right but you potentially might get it right.
I shall add both in case.
Great i thought i done well but after seeing this i know i flunked.
I got a feeling grade boundaries are gonne be like 46 or 47 for an A*. I don't it will go any higher to be honest since people make stupid mistakes as well as interpret questions differently. Also they put on the LCA which isn't even in the spec.
(edited 7 years ago)
For the last six mark Q i talked about recombinant DNA and the FISH technique :frown: do i not get my marks? Also i put faeces as ecosystem waste :,( im so screwed i think B7 is the reasoni wont get A*

Quick Reply