The Student Room Group

Gap Year Between Year 11 and A Levels

I know you are probably reading this, thinking how idiotic I am, etc, but I would appreciate people who are serious and take this seriously.

I am currently doing GCSE's and I have not been prepared, I have gone through a lot of things and I know I have failed almost all my subjects. Would it possible to do a gap year and redo my GCSE's? This may sound ridiculous, I am aware, but I have high hopes for the future.

I do really appreciate comments that are realistic and kind. Do you think this is a good idea? Do you think I would be put at a disadvantage when applying to universities? Thank you so much in advance and thank you for reading.
I think you can take them at college, so it's fine.
Original post by Eternalflames
I think you can take them at college, so it's fine.

Thank you for your reply. My college does not do that as they only do A Levels. I honestly messed up my whole future. I really hope by redoing my GCSE's will be a good idea, do you think it is?
If you chose to resit all of your exams it would be possible but very expensive and would mean that you would have to be in lessons with people a year younger than you (if you re did the course). Many specifications are changing for the next year group, which would mean that you would need to learn a whole new spec- which would mean you have to stay back 2 years rather than 1. If you mean a 'gap year' as in you redo the whole courses, then you couldn't do this unless you have a very good reason e.g. an illness, or you could redo exams in November- but this would be expensive.
I wouldn't consider this, wait till you get your results and then decide- but I would just advice doing resits if you do really bad in subjects that will be important for your future- but if you have failed subjects that you want to do for A-Level etc then you may want to reconsider. :smile:
Original post by stressedwbu123
Thank you for your reply. My college does not do that as they only do A Levels. I honestly messed up my whole future. I really hope by redoing my GCSE's will be a good idea, do you think it is?

I meant go to different college that offers GCSEs as well as A-Levels.
And yes one slip up doesn't affect your future as long as you can correct it this time round.
Good Luck! :smile:
I took 2 years out after GCSEs to work and resat a couple of my GCSEs before starting my A levels. So its possible
Original post by sachinisgod
I took 2 years out after GCSEs to work and resat a couple of my GCSEs before starting my A levels. So its possible

Oh thank goodness. Did it cost a lot? And how many did you do, and what are you doing now? Sorry for the flood of questions haha.
No not a lot, i did it at my sixth form college as a part time evening subject while i worked . But that was a one year course for Maths, so youve got to see what options there are to resit before making that decision!

Ive done my pharmacy degree and finished this year :smile:
No not a lot, i did it at my sixth form college as a part time evening subject while i worked . But that was a one year course for Maths, so youve got to see what options there are to resit before making that decision!

Ive done my pharmacy degree and finished this year :smile:

Ah pharmacy! What is it like at university? I thought itd be interesting but my cousin told me it is boring and regrets doing it haha! What do you think? Is it a good course?
Ah pharmacy! What is it like at university? I thought itd be interesting but my cousin told me it is boring and regrets doing it haha! What do you think? Is it a good course?

Lol yeah its a course with the pharmacy career prospects are bad, degree is fine if u use it to get into a different field but the job itself is boring as hell!
x

Legally, you now have to be in some form of education until you are 18. So, you can't just take a year out and do nothing or get a part time job. However, "education" doesn't have to mean school. It could be an apprenticeship, for example.

You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays. You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:
stay in full-time education, eg at a collegestart an apprenticeship or traineeshipwork or volunteer (for 20 hours or more a week) while in part-time education or training

See here: https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Platopus
Legally, you now have to be in some form of education until you are 18. So, you can't just take a year out and do nothing or get a part time job. However, "education" doesn't have to mean school. It could be an apprenticeship, for example.

You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays. You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:
stay in full-time education, eg at a collegestart an apprenticeship or traineeshipwork or volunteer (for 20 hours or more a week) while in part-time education or training

See here: https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

oh thats changed since my time then. I just worked full time for a year and then in the 2nd year did part time education while still working.

I didnt realise the new rules, so OP should follow this!
oh thats changed since my time then. I just worked full time for a year and then in the 2nd year did part time education while still working.

I didnt realise the new rules, so OP should follow this!

Yup, it's quite a recent change and I'm surprised no one kicked up a fuss about it at the time. Probably because they sneakily kept it below the radar. I was upset as it affected me, but in hindsight it's probably good that I stayed in school.
I know you are probably reading this, thinking how idiotic I am, etc, but I would appreciate people who are serious and take this seriously.

I am currently doing GCSE's and I have not been prepared, I have gone through a lot of things and I know I have failed almost all my subjects. Would it possible to do a gap year and redo my GCSE's? This may sound ridiculous, I am aware, but I have high hopes for the future.

I do really appreciate comments that are realistic and kind. Do you think this is a good idea? Do you think I would be put at a disadvantage when applying to universities? Thank you so much in advance and thank you for reading.

If you do this, I'd reccomend not doing the normal number of GCSEs. Do English Lit, Lang, Maths, Sciences ( either double or triple), and maybe another 2 which you will enjoy ( don't think about if it is respectable or not ( eg. History over Drama) just choose two which you may want to do at A Level ( obviously these subjects should not only be ones you enjoy but also helpful and respected, so maybe taking one of History/ Language or Geography would be advisable).

If you think you've failed ( below C ) most of your GCSEs, redid and got As/A*s then I don't think unis would care as that is a big difference. But if you go from a B to an A* etc. it may do. I've learned that GCSEs are a very small part of uni applications. As long as they're around what the uni want ( so for top that would be 3-5 A*s) they don't make the greatest difference, all other unis would probably okay with a few As and Bs. It is A LOT more about A Levels

GCSEs are looong but if you do past papers and no all the content it's hard not to get a good grade, people don't really need to years. Best of luck :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
That’s not even legal anymore is it?
Maybe it only started with my year group (GCSE class 2017/18) but we all have to stay in some form of education or aprenticeship until the school year we turn 18
Okay for 1, don't worry about that until youve actually got your results. You might have done alright, you never know and unless if youve failed (i mean as in not got a C) everything, i wouldnt recommend retaking all your GCSEs, it just wouldnt be practical. If youve passed everything then dont worry, unless youre going to oxford or cambridge your gcses arent that important, just try not to mess up your A levels. Really youve come to this realisation a bit too late but remember that GCSEs arent over yet, you can still try and do as well as possible in the exams you have left. As for taking a gap year, you have to stay in education by law so i dont think you could literally take a gap year and not be in education. Lots of colleges offer resit courses but thats mainly for maths and english but you may be able to find some for other courses.

Quick Reply

Latest