The Student Room Group

How do I improve my vocabulary?

I was thinking about learning 10 new words every morning and trying to use them through out the day (text, in conversation, online, write them in my journal etc) and then repeating all 70 words at the end of the week.

I desperately want a more sophisticated vocabulary and just reading alone doesn't help me, nor does watching people with a good range of vocabulary talk.

What do you guys think?
Original post by TheHistoryphile
I was thinking about learning 10 new words every morning and trying to use them through out the day (text, in conversation, online, write them in my journal etc) and then repeating all 70 words at the end of the week.

I desperately want a more sophisticated vocabulary and just reading alone doesn't help me, nor does watching people with a good range of vocabulary talk.

What do you guys think?

In my opinion 10 new words every day is too many unless your vocabulary is very low
Read books
Reply 3

What do you guys think?
There's no point. Everyday language is less than a thousand words, so you're just going to waste your time.

If you want to learn new words, reading and writing are the only ways that are worth bothering with - but only in areas where you're likely to use them. Most of the rarer words mean very specific things that just don't get talked about in everyday situations.
Read the dictionary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Read, read, read!

What do you guys think?

Definitely use a thesaurus online quick and interesting new words to learn
Reply 7
Read books and subscribe to a word of the day mailing list - so helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mathsmusicfrench
Read books

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Read, read, read!

Original post by JohnGreek
Read.

Every time you come across a word you don't understand, find its definition and note it down somewhere.

And then read some more.

I do read but it just never sticks. I have come to the conclusion learning words straight from a dictionary would perhaps be more helpful. I hope so anyway... :frown:
This is what happens to me too. Ugh I hate it!
Original post by ODES_PDES
In my opinion 10 new words every day is too many unless your vocabulary is very low

My vocabulary isn't low, it's just very simple. But maybe 10 is too many...I probably won't be able to find use for them all in one day.

Quick Reply

Latest