Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kevinwong
And mass of the plant was?

something BIG

I got 1.0...x10^33 I can't remember the decimals
Original post by Danny.L
God I hope we're both right on this one :O

SAME, just gota pray that TeacherCol agrees :redface:

Shame we might have to wait till tomorrow though, I would have forgotten my answers:colonhash:
Original post by speed1✈️✈️
Plant? :redface:, do you mean planet :tongue:

I got something in the order of 10^33, I used Kepler's 3rd law and radius R2 and time period given in question, converted into seconds.

Did the second part of the question say the period of S1 was 3 days? I used Keplar's law with R1 and T1 to get M1 and then used the ratio to get M2 but I think I may have made a mistake :s-smilie:. Would I still get 1/2 marks?
Original post by Pyslocke
Did the second part of the question say the period of S1 was 3 days? I used Keplar's law with R1 and T1 to get M1 and then used the ratio to get M2 but I think I may have made a mistake :s-smilie:. Would I still get 1/2 marks?

3 days????? How???? I never saw that. I am pretty damn certain it was 4 days. I don't know if you would to be honest:frown:
Original post by saal180898
something BIG

I got 1.0...x10^33 I can't remember the decimals

Yep it was you're right

Posted from TSR Mobile
3 days????? How???? I never saw that. I am pretty damn certain it was 4 days. I don't know if you would to be honest:frown:

It was 4 days

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, they told you the period was equal for both of them, 4 days.
I've no idea if that is right.
I just used keplers third law with T^2 = (4Pi^2 * R2^3)/(G*M2)
That got me 1.73*10^33.
Was it out of 2 or 3?

Oh wait my mistake. It was 4 day
Original post by Danny.L
That got me 1.73*10^33.
Was it out of 2 or 3?

It was worth 3 marks
Original post by Danny.L
That got me 1.73*10^33.
Was it out of 2 or 3?

I forgot they had the same period >.<. I think I got 10^31. But how come I don't get the same answer?
(edited 7 years ago)
I forgot they had the same period >.<. I think I got 10^31. But how come I don't get the same answer?

The question clearly stated both stars had the same period :redface:
I forgot they were the same period >.<. I think I got 10^31. But how come I don't get the same answer?

Yeah a couple people in my class got that too. I've done it like 10 times and I consistently get 10^33, perhaps you mis-entered something on your calculator?
Original post by LibertyMan
What were your values for S2 people??? I NEED TO KNOW FUSUFBAKFJKDNDKIDJFJ

I think it was 1.74x10^33
Workings to get the mass of S2 for those wondering.
Original post by Danny.L
c?

because when you use kepler's third law the mass you calculated is the capital M not small m. in this case that will be mass c, the centre of rotation.
If I got 7.2x10^12 and 2.4x10^12, do i lose one or two marks? Please answer :9
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheFarmerLad
That means nothing to me :biggrin: do you mean I'll lose M1 and A1 (2 marks) or get M1 and A1 (lose 1 mark)? Have to admit it makes me chuckle, can't wait to see the Hitler video!

i think both
Really doesn't deserve one to be honest, wasn't as bad as people saying! There have been MUCH worser exams set by OCR - (cough cough G481 June 2015:colonhash:). This years OCR papers seem to be half descent!

imo this is worse than g481 june 2015
Original post by saal180898
? I thought it said the the distance between the two stars (R1 + R2) = 4.8x10^12

I am 100% sure that this person Is correct. I read it very carefully. You were supposed to get that equation shown above and that raito, what was it 3R1=R2 or something, then solve simultaneously. it came out with R1=1.2x10^12 and R2=3.6x10^12.
Original post by Zonothene
Workings to get the mass of S2 for those wondering.

Well **** me sideways. Goodbye 100%ums. ****ing bull-****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending