The Student Room Group

STEP 2016 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrrationalRoot
I did this whole 'attempt 6 but unable to complete many questions' thing for both I and II this year, which is strange because in basically all of my (25 ish?) mocks I get mostly fulls but not 6 Qs. Not sure if this is because of my psychology for the actual exams or that these ones are just harder to complete.
So yeah basically I think my mindset changed to the one you've mentioned here just for these exams lol, I never usually attempt 6 Qs.

STEP III however the absolute priority is to get a 1, so certainly not going to 'restrict' myself to 30 mins per Q, I managed to get a very good 1 in last years paper from spending 45 mins on the first Q and 45 mins on the second, but they were 39 marks in total which was worth it.
If I for some reason could attempt 6 that would be ideal, but not aiming for it.

Honestly I don't know how hard these questions are gonna be, so I would recommend just using your own judgement in the exam and decide whether or not it's worth trying to finish a question or move on (which is where experience from mocks comes in).

Yeah, I used my '30 minutes per question' strategy for STEP I and II as well. I have about 7 minutes of looking through the questions at the start, ranking them and finding out which ones I am gonna do, so if it happens that STEP III has more of my favourite questions then I am probably gonna continue this strategy so I can get 6 potentially good solutions on the script for a potential S grade. However, if I do not like most of the questions, I would probably try to give more fully complete solutions so I can at least get a solid/high Grade 1. I feel like my usual strategy is a bit more risky, but if last parts are worth less or I just really like the questions, then it is more beneficial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 221
Original post by kelvin1338
A bit late for this post,

But for STEP 1's question 2, if I differentiate the given giant equation correctly, and manage to solve part (ii) correctly using an FP3 substitution (let x=sinhu) is that acceptable?

Unfortunately not. The question specified "hence".

I failed to solve part (i) and part (iii) completely. How many marks should I get out of 20 for that, you guys think, approximately?

Depending on what exactly you've done, you could get anywhere between 5 and 12?
Original post by Insight314
Yeah, I used my '30 minutes per question' strategy for STEP I and II as well. I have about 7 minutes of looking through the questions at the start, ranking them and finding out which ones I am gonna do, so if it happens that STEP III has more of my favourite questions then I am probably gonna continue this strategy so I can get 6 potentially good solutions on the script for a potential S grade. However, if I do not like most of the questions, I would probably try to give more fully complete solutions so I can at least get a solid/high Grade 1. I feel like my usual strategy is a bit more risky, but if last parts are worth less or I just really like the questions, then it is more beneficial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah this seems like a logical strategy. Unfortunately in my situation it's almost guaranteed I will have very little choice so it'll probably be going for full solutions for me.
My strategy is to solve questions I like at the beginning (Questions involving vectors, (coordinate) geometry or number theory) and I usually do them under 20 mins, so it is a good start. After I try to solve other questions and with the time boost I try to keep the 30 min boundaries for each question. It is regular that I solve 5/6 questions.
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/muiga0eqk4

Slightly better framing, more zoomed in:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/r7adx3smel

This relates to STEP II Q1.
Press the play button next to the t slider.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 225
Original post by EricPiphany
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/muiga0eqk4

Slightly better framing, more zoomed in:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/r7adx3smel

This relates to STEP II Q1.
Press the play button next to the t slider.

Original post by Zacken

In a simultaneous effort to learn a bit of LaTeX and to rub in my own face just how stupid I was to miss out some of the questions, I've typed up the questions and solutions for STEP II (credit is given, even if I've extended, abridged, corrected, or tweaked solutions).

I figured you guys may as well have it. Give me a shout if I've messed something up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by farryharnworth
In a simultaneous effort to learn a bit of LaTeX and to rub in my own face just how stupid I was to miss out some of the questions, I've typed up the questions and solutions for STEP II (credit is given, even if I've extended, abridged, corrected, or tweaked solutions).

I figured you guys may as well have it. Give me a shout if I've messed something up.

Were you at the STEP Easter School this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
Were you at the STEP Easter School this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was not. Was there another farry there?

Ok. Never mind then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:K:
Original post by Mathemagicien
I think its marvelous - definitely should be attached in the OP. Thanks for sharing! :smile:

There is one very small thing that you have missed out of question (8i) - I hesitate to mention it, since I don't think its worth much bother to add it in, and you have done a great job otherwise on the LaTex - which is that, for our succinct notation to work, we just need to clarify what happens when m=1; that is, we should define
i=10f(i)=0\sum_{i=1}^{0} f(i) = 0

But this is a very nice resource for future STEPpers (and makes my solutions look a lot neater than they were! :tongue: ), so thank you again for sharing!

Thank you, you're too kind :biggrin:

You're absolutely right, I did miss that. It does seem logical to me that it would be true (and a quick google turns up this, which is a bit vague, but seems to support the convention), but of course it's not worth being anything but 100% clear in a STEP exam. I've updated it - can't get it to stick in an edit, so here it is with minor correction.
Reply 233
Give me a shout if I've messed something up.

Q3, the LHS is the sum of non-negative terms, not positive terms.

Edit to add: Q6, not sure about this, but I think you need to explicitly check z(1) = 1 or y_(2n)(1) = 1 or both.

Another edit: you seem to be missing the "write down for four events" in Q12.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 234
What's your reasoning?

There's a unique solution to the DE as long as the solution satisfies that y(1) = 1 thing, so if you want to claim that both z_n and y_(2n) satisfy the same DE and hence must be the same, then shouldn't you show they both satisfy the condition that z(1) = 1 for you to actually show that they are a solution?
Damn, I didn't read that bit :tongue:

I agree

Original post by Zacken
There's a unique solution to the DE as long as the solution satisfies that y(1) = 1 thing, so if you want to claim that both z_n and y_(2n) satisfy the same DE and hence must be the same, then shouldn't you show they both satisfy the condition that z(1) = 1 for you to actually show that they are a solution?

z(1) = 1 follows because y_n(1) = 1 and z = 2y_n^2 - 1 etc but surely that's all you'd have to say? It's given that there is one solution satisfying y_k(1) = 1 for each k, and you've provided one for k = 2n, so z = y_2n.
Reply 236
Original post by StrangeBanana
z(1) = 1 follows because y_n(1) = 1 and z = 2y_n^2 - 1 etc but surely that's all you'd have to say? It's given that there is one solution satisfying y_k(1) = 1 for each k, and you've provided one for k = 2n, so z = y_2n.

Yeah, was just saying that there's probably a mark allocated for stating it. :yes:
Original post by Zacken
Q3, the LHS is the sum of non-negative terms, not positive terms.

Edit to add: Q6, not sure about this, but I think you need to explicitly check z(1) = 1 or y_(2n)(1) = 1 or both.

Right you are; sorted.

Original post by Zacken
Another edit: you seem to be missing the "write down for four events" in Q12.

Not sure how I managed that - whoops.

Thank you very much.
Reply 238
Right you are; sorted.

Not sure how I managed that - whoops.

Thank you very much.

Cheers, great work!
Reply 239
Are we allowed to post Step III solutions yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending