The Student Room Group

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cookiemonster15
Really? And here I am hoping it'll not be too hard. I hope that it's at least doable in the time given,...

Ahh, it'll be alright. The one thing I learned from last year was: check your work. I made a few silly mistakes in C4 that could have easily secured 100UMS and I wouldn't be in this position. Also... simplify! Before anything!!!!

That's the best advice I can give you.
Original post by imran_
do we need to know about the factor theorem ??? Ive never seen it on a past paper question for ededxcel

bruh that is c2,
Original post by imran_
do we need to know about the factor theorem ??? Ive never seen it on a past paper question for ededxcel

What kind of question is this? You can be tested based on knowledge right from GCSE
Original post by Katiee224
https://07a69ccf283966549a9350d1a66951a7bc96e2dc.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ0JQM1NRcmdHdXM/June%202014%20(R)%20MA%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf

can anyone tell me for q6e on this paper why the answer +-k/2 isn't allowed and it has to be +k/2?? :redface:

it says k is a positive constant ontop but you could have a minus times a positive constant and square the k value and still get the right answer??

it specifies in the question, the domain is x > 0, so k must be positive
Original post by nitromeguy
the question states when defining g(x) that x>0, so the domain of fg(x) is also x>0, so you can't have -k/2 as this is negative

i get it now, thanks :smile:
Original post by Someboady
Just to clarify guys... something like this won't come up will it

| x - 2 | - ( |x| - 2)

Or anything similar such as
5 | x - 1| +7

they won't ask us to draw something like that will they?

Yes they could ask to sketch modulus etc.
Original post by hellopls
your sin and cos are wrong way round check your compound angle formula shud be RSintheta Cosalpha -RCostheta Sinalpha

Oh, god- thank you.
Reply 747
Original post by Pablo Picasso
What kind of question is this? You can be tested based on knowledge right from GCSE

Nah for trig theres this formula with P+q/2
Original post by SeanFM
Well. if you have f^-1f(x) = x for a normal function, and you have that f(f(x)) = x.. then it is a self-inverse function as you say.

I don't think I'll need to but if a question came up where further pure methods could be used, would this be acceptable?
I feel like I'm going to be in this thread all day. :cry:
guys just 1 quick question...
is domain the x values and range the y values?
Original post by SeanFM
Well. if you have f^-1f(x) = x for a normal function, and you have that f(f(x)) = x.. then it is a self-inverse function as you say.

So f^-1f(x) = x is another one of the rules?
Original post by Someboady
Just to clarify guys... something like this won't come up will it

| x - 2 | - ( |x| - 2)

Or anything similar such as
5 | x - 1| +7

they won't ask us to draw something like that will they?

they definitely can ask us to draw the second one, idk about first

If(x)I and f(IxI) ARE THEIR FAVOURITE TRANSFORMATIONS!!! :biggrin::s-smilie: and ln x and e^x
Lads, what's the hardest paper apart from june 13 and all the gold papers+ solomon papers?
Original post by Anon_98
I feel like I'm going to be in this thread all day. :cry:

:five: me too. It'll be okay, Anon. :lol:

Original post by justeenez
I don't think I'll need to but if a question came up where further pure methods could be used, would this be acceptable?

I'm by no means an expert on mark schemes etc. I'd like to think so, but I'd say use it as a last resort if the normal method isn't coming to you.
Original post by cookie_raider01

Yes. x and f(x) resp
Original post by lucabrasi98
Lads, what's the hardest paper apart from june 13 and all the gold papers+ solomon papers?

None of them are hard.
Original post by SeanFM
:five: me too. It'll be okay, Anon. :lol:

Let's hope so. :nope:
Original post by Pablo Picasso
None of them are hard.

Well if you want to be like that then what's the least easy? All the ones I've done basically ask the same thing over and over again. Surely there's at least 1 paper with a surprise dodgy question? I'd rather encounter something new now rather than tomorrow
Original post by cookie_raider01

Pretty much, though I would add that it is what values you can/can't put in for the x values and what values you can/can't get out.

For example, with 3/x, you will never be able to put in x = 0, so the domain is x in the reals, excluding 0. With e^x, you can put in any x value but you will never get out a negative value or 0 (e^x = 0 can't be solved). With lnx, you can't put in any negative values of x, or 0. so the domain is x>0.

Original post by Don Pedro K.
So f^-1f(x) = x is another one of the rules?

I'm confused. That is what is true if f(x) is a self inverse. I've never come across that but I presume that is what it means.

Quick Reply