Maths B
Science Unit 1 B
Science Unit 2 A
Science Unit 3 C
History A
ICT A
Business B/A
French D/C

With these results, lots of work experience, high IB results, lots of extracurricular and Law summer courses at KCL. Do I stand a strong chance for KCL Law?

Maybe - close to unlikely. If you go to
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/university/kings_college_london and filter by 'Law', you'll see that the vast majority of people who have a firm offer have achieved at least 5A*s, if not straight A*/As. Make sure you tell them how your work experience and the extracurricular activities you did have really strengthened you as a Law applicant. I know that KCL has a emphasis on academic performance, so try extra hard on your IB. :smile:
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Nope, you can only apply to one college, which is why it's important that you analyse the statistics to ensure you have the best chance of getting in. You could make an 'open application' where you are allocated to a college without making a preference, but there's really no point because you could end up somewhere a) where you don't like, and b) where you are unlikely to get in.

My GCSEs are fairly bad by TSR's standards: 1 A*, 4 A's, 4 B's. 3 C's. That's why I would apply to Cambridge rather than Oxford; they care much less about GCSEs. It's also why I tend to get antsy when people say you need X GCSEs to stand a chance, because I've done the research, and I've gone over the statistics, and I know that I stand a chance with decent AS grades.

Fairly bad? You passed everything and those grades are actually really good, **** tsr. Oxford looks more at gcses right? And what a levels are you doing?
Of course their good ffs, stop f***ing attention seeking.
Original post by goldenusername
Fairly bad? You passed everything and those grades are actually really good, **** tsr. Oxford looks more at gcses right? And what a levels are you doing?

Ikr, I was pretty pleased with my results till I came on TSR. :/

And yeah, Oxford looks at GCSEs more than AS, and that I can't fathom. The only (somewhat pessimistic) reason I can think of is to maintain the high number of private school kids who go there, because GCSEs seem to be very easy to do well in when you go to a private school, but less so at A-level. This would also explain why Oxford's A-level requirements are lower than that of Cambridge.

I'm doing History, English Lit, Politics, and BTEC Applied Law. :h:
Original post by TSR778899
Im predicting my gcses to be:
Maths-A*
Core Science-A*
Additional Science-A*
Further Additional Science-A*
English Language-B
English Lit-B
History-B
Spanish-B
Computing-A
RE-A
Business-A*

Are these good enough grades to be getting into top unis for medicine, maybe even oxbridge?

They are certainly not good enough for Oxford.

They are way below average for Cambridge.

The key thing for medicine is to apply to your strengths. Some med schools require a field of A*s, others require none. You will need to do your research and apply wisely.

Original post by Dom2375
Of course their good ffs, stop f***ing attention seeking.

Original post by Jacarch12
Stop attention seeking.

Original post by fartinugget
sometimes i really do wonder if people just come on tsr to show off their huge ego and grades

Sometimes I really do wonder whether people post on a thread just to throw **** at the anxious OP from their high horse, despite being completely ignorant about the subject in question and actually being totally wrong given the courses being asked about.

Oh wait, question answered nvm.

Original post by Shapez
I got most B's at GCSE and oxford only rejected me for my A levels and nothing else. So gcses dont matter.

Then you weren't applying for medicine. With less than 50% A*, chances of successfully applying to medicine at Oxford are essentially 0.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Ikr, I was pretty pleased with my results till I came on TSR. :/

And yeah, Oxford looks at GCSEs more than AS, and that I can't fathom. The only (somewhat pessimistic) reason I can think of is to maintain the high number of private school kids who go there, because GCSEs seem to be very easy to do well in when you go to a private school, but less so at A-level. This would also explain why Oxford's A-level requirements are lower than that of Cambridge.

I'm doing History, English Lit, Politics, and BTEC Applied Law. :h:

Ohhh i get it now. Hows history and english lit going?
Original post by nexttime
They are certainly not good enough for Oxford.

They are way below average for Cambridge.

The key thing for medicine is to apply to your strengths. Some med schools require a field of A*s, others require none. You will need to do your research and apply wisely.

Sometimes I really do wonder whether people post on a thread just to throw **** at the anxious OP from their high horse, despite being completely ignorant about the subject in question and actually being totally wrong given the courses being asked about.

Oh wait, question answered nvm.

Then you weren't applying for medicine. With less than 50% A*, chances of successfully applying to medicine at Oxford are essentially 0.

: )

Quick Reply

Latest