The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Economics Unit 3 (ECON3) 20th June 2016 OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Honestly, though, that was one of the worst exams I've ever done, I'm so depressed and miserable about it. Absolutely gutted. I'm never been so unhappy after an exam before.
Reply 441
Original post by sharjeel743
I answered essay 1, pretty sick answer i think, but the only issue is that i talked only about monopolies and monopoly power and didnt mention oligopolies once, so people think i'll lose marks, and if so how many???

i talked about monopoly and perfect competition :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Original post by lahorizon
I posted what I wrote on page 20 , post number 382 ,, can you let me know what you wrote//if you wrote similar things?

Your one is really good
I wrote this

- merit goods are underprovided and underconsumed
- public goods not provided at all
- subsidising merit goods increased consumption and results in a welfare gain, making up for the deadweight loss
- firms may become dependent and unproductive - I mentioned that it will be out competed due to perfect competition just so that I could put in A2 content
- not a priority for the government
- public goods should be subsidised
- risk of government failure
- government might not know the social optimal level / there is no imperfect info
- overall, leave merit goods to the free market because there is some allocation of resource but subsidise public goods

What mark do you think I got?
What context did you do for section a
I found the test OK. I think my wording and the fact that my points were more implicitly implied will have lost me marks.

Does anyone remember the question for Context 2 Q06? About the NMW and living wage. I need to know exactly or roughly exactly the wording of the question. Thank you!
Predicted grade boundaries for an A*? I'm thinking about 68

I definitely got the 5, 10, 15 and hopefully my essays are averaging 18+. Borderline.

I didn't think it was too bad, essay 1 and 2 have come up before and there was plenty to write about.

Evaluated a lot but missed out some points that I could have put in, but hopefully did enough!
Original post by a jones
In the extract it spoke about minimum wage being low etc so i assumed it was because of lack of skills....Most of my friends wrote along the same lines as me but a few did talk about monpsony aswell
For the 15 marker it asked how small firms in perfect competition make the market allocatively efficient, So i drew a diagram with supermonal profits n explained. Then i did one where there was loss of a firm cus he wasn't efficient. Then i explained the long run diagram.

Btw how much did you write cus i wrote 16 sides but some of my mates only wrote 10 whereas some wrote 18?

I wrote 15 sides typed (use a computer for exam), which is possibly around 4000 words, not sure how many pages written though Im afraid. Maybe around 20-25? - but I usually do way too much.
Original post by saran12
Did anyone do essay 3 on merit good ?

Yeah I did this essay, I thought it was one of the best options
Original post by blinin7
I wrote 15 sides typed (use a computer for exam), which is possibly around 4000 words, not sure how many pages written though Im afraid. Maybe around 20-25? - but I usually do way too much.

Jeez! I only did 9 . . .
I wrote similar things but I mentioned the fact that public goods and merit goods are different things.
if the government do not provide public goods, there would be a missing markets.
I also mentioned that some merit goods or goods that are socially desirable such as Utilities - wont always lead to consumer welfare being increased such as the case with the oligopoly on Gas prices - British Gas
or BT etc
I evaluated by saying one is under the assumption that the free market can provide choice and low prices.
I mentioned the kink demand curve theory.
I mentioned how governments are needed for natural monopolies such as TFL
and that the private sector will not benefit anyone because if you break up a natural monopoly, you lose the economies of scale that benefit consumers in the form of lower prices.
I said there are instances by which the private sector can benefit society. Such as toll booths or private healthcare because the government have a fixed supply, and beyond that fixed supply, there is a missing market for consumers because of waiting lists, nhs etc.

Let me know if you think i was on the right path and my arguments were logical
I concluded also by saying that in most cases merit goods and public goods should be left to governments because of corruption between firms and regulatory agencies that are left to watch them as with the case with some utlility companies.
and that in most cases the public sector can maximise consumer welfare and interference from the private sector, wont always go according to what economic theory suggests - such as perfect competition, contestability etc.

didn;'t essay 3 feel really AS like? I'm worried I didn't hit the A2 marks idk what did you guys write? I wrote about:

25 marker:
Government should provide public goods because without the government providing it, the welfare would be 0, because no firm will provide it/since they are non-excludable and non-rivalrous. Therefore, there is definitely an increase in welfare (since it goes from 0 to whatever).

I then wrote about merit goods, how they're important, if government provides them then it is fair and there is equity since poor people won't be excluded, education and healthcare both have social impacts which is another reason government should do it.

Then I wrote that actually, currently the NHS is struggling and is being inefficient since the government owns it. Organisational slack etc. Market forces would instead be better because they would be more allocative efficient, and make better use of resources so welfare is maximised. Also I wrote if it were privatised, then more advertising would happen which would encourage people to go to their GP etc, so consumer surplus is increased.

I concluded by saying welfare can be maximised if government provides both type of goods because they won't discriminate against certain areas i.e. rural towns with small populations. But it is best if government outsources merit goods and still has ownership.

--

Overall, I feel I did fine but I'm worried my answers to essay 3 were too AS like and I didn't know how to use my A2 knowledge in answering it :/ I wish I did essay 1...
What did people put for context 1 25 marker for market forces?
Original post by Edminzodo
Honestly, though, that was one of the worst exams I've ever done, I'm so depressed and miserable about it. Absolutely gutted. I'm never been so unhappy after an exam before.

Honestly same - so disappointed in myself. The contexts weren't ideal and put me off guard for the rest of the exam
Reply 451
Original post by blinin7
Have C3 tomorrow so probably shouldnt spend so much time asking, but what do you guys think of this structure.

Context 2 - increasing incomes of those with low wages (i think) - 25 marks
Intro
Para 1: Yes higher minimum wage through higher living wage is good (monopsony employer etc)
Para 2: No it is bad.
Para 3: Alternative policy 1 - Challenge discrimination + legislation
Para 4: Alternative policy 2 - Supply Side policies
Para 5: Alternative policy 3 - Wealth accumulation, rent to buy etc
Conclusion

Evaluation
Time
Extent of change
Economic climate of change (brexit + min wage. may be disastrous in recession)
Types of employers (small v. large business)
Current government likely policies

Essay 1 - Monopolies q (25 marker)
Intro
Monopolies undesirable
Para 1; Monopolies undesirable; static inefficiency, current LLC structure limiting dynamic efficiency etc
Para 2; Diseconomies of scale
Para 3; Undesirable Objectives, anti-trust, oppose contestable markets etc

Monopolies desirable;
Para 4 Dynamic efficiency
Para 3; Natural monopolies, high fixed costs & economies of scale (financial, technical, marketing etc..)

Evaluation
- Extent of regulation
- Type of firm
- Short term v. Long term
- Objectives of firms, non for profit v. profit maximising

Didn't really make a judgement on monopolies as they contrast so much depending on market their in, couldnt see how I could do so. Just said non-collusive oligopolies and increasing contestability perhaps better.

Put quite a few diagrams and data, and obviously developed points I had. Thanks for any feedback!

when it talked about concentrated markets i thought it was talking about perfect competition so i talked about how perfect competition and monopoly are desirable and undesirable
Original post by blinin7

Dayummm how did you write so much :biggrin:
didn;'t essay 3 feel really AS like? I'm worried I didn't hit the A2 marks idk what did you guys write? I wrote about:

25 marker:
Government should provide public goods because without the government providing it, the welfare would be 0, because no firm will provide it/since they are non-excludable and non-rivalrous. Therefore, there is definitely an increase in welfare (since it goes from 0 to whatever).

I then wrote about merit goods, how they're important, if government provides them then it is fair and there is equity since poor people won't be excluded, education and healthcare both have social impacts which is another reason government should do it.

Then I wrote that actually, currently the NHS is struggling and is being inefficient since the government owns it. Organisational slack etc. Market forces would instead be better because they would be more allocative efficient, and make better use of resources so welfare is maximised. Also I wrote if it were privatised, then more advertising would happen which would encourage people to go to their GP etc, so consumer surplus is increased.

I concluded by saying welfare can be maximised if government provides both type of goods because they won't discriminate against certain areas i.e. rural towns with small populations. But it is best if government outsources merit goods and still has ownership.

--

Overall, I feel I did fine but I'm worried my answers to essay 3 were too AS like and I didn't know how to use my A2 knowledge in answering it :/ I wish I did essay 1...

To be honest, things like that are AS level but its also included in the A2 Spec and they test it because its an important part of economics, as long as your evaluation was good you'll reach the top marks. If it wasn't an A2 essay it wouldn't be in an A2 exam!
we should all start prepping for econ4
Reply 455
Did nobody do the last 2 essays? Think it was like question 11 and 12? I can't remember what the question was for the 25 marker and I'm worried now I misread it :/
Reply 456
Original post by SmartStudent24
we should all start prepping for econ4

i agree
Original post by jakelong1001
Isn't Allocative efficiency AC=MR ?

AR=MC is right but the AR and MR are perfecrly elastic not inelastic making the demand curve horizontal
Original post by Jamyes
when it talked about concentrated markets i thought it was talking about perfect competition so i talked about how perfect competition and monopoly are desirable and undesirable

I initially thought about doing that, but then it said in the question explicitly about monopoly power being undesirable. I get where youre coming from though, and I did put some contestability theory - however more as a comparison rather than a point in its own right, as question talked about monopolies. I asked my friends post exam and they did similar, so i think its okay.

Either way I think we're both right if we looked at adv of monopolies + disadv with evaluation - and some thought about other alternatives?
Ppl who did context 1 and essay 1 dont u think it was pretty much just AS knowledge as u had to talk about government failure negative externalities and basically the pros and cons of monopolies. Perfect competition made A2 but apart from that i feel like i messed up😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending