The Student Room Group

Aiming to become a magistrate judge

I am 15 years old, and studying for my GCSE's in June 2017. I am currently doing work experience for two weeks at a Solicitors company in Spalding. I am interested in having a future career as a magistrate and I was wondering what route I would need to take to get there. Also, what AS and A levels should I take? My GCSE subjects include; Business Studies, ICT, History, French, Maths (Higher), English Lit and Lang, and then of course three sciences (aiming for triple science).
Original post by joem12
I am 15 years old, and studying for my GCSE's in June 2017. I am currently doing work experience for two weeks at a Solicitors company in Spalding. I am interested in having a future career as a magistrate and I was wondering what route I would need to take to get there. Also, what AS and A levels should I take? My GCSE subjects include; Business Studies, ICT, History, French, Maths (Higher), English Lit and Lang, and then of course three sciences (aiming for triple science).

Erm, well, I don't think you should aim to be a magistrate... They don't actually get paid. :redface:
https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/about-the-judiciary/judges-career-paths/becoming-a-magistrate/
Original post by joem12

I'm in Year 11, just finished my GCSE's and I do/did do GCSE AQA Law. Your A-Levels and your GCSE's are completely irrelevent when wanting to become a lawyer. All you need to do is on your half work hard to get into a good Uni for law to get a Law Degree. If you don't get a law degree there are several training routes to join law, but I must say if you do want to become a Barrister you HAVE to get a Law Degree. As you wan't to become a Magistrate Judge you're lucky. You need no qualifications. It's a matter of you signing up in your local court then going through a series of tests and two interviews as well as other things. In GCSE Law you learn most training routes for a job as a lawyer. I suggest you should currently get as many 9's(This new GCSE is confusing for me I don't really know how they go) as possible and do your best in A- Level so you C=C can get into a good Uni for Law. Such as Cambridge(aim high).
Original post by niftyhitman
I must say if you do want to become a Barrister you HAVE to get a Law Degree

No, you don't. If you have completed a degree which isn't law you do the GDL - which is a conversion course.
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
No, you don't. If you have completed a degree which isn't law you do the GDL - which is a conversion course.

ahh my bad
Reply 5
Original post by niftyhitman
I'm in Year 11, just finished my GCSE's and I do/did do GCSE AQA Law. Your A-Levels and your GCSE's are completely irrelevent when wanting to become a lawyer. All you need to do is on your half work hard to get into a good Uni for law to get a Law Degree. If you don't get a law degree there are several training routes to join law, but I must say if you do want to become a Barrister you HAVE to get a Law Degree. As you wan't to become a Magistrate Judge you're lucky. You need no qualifications. It's a matter of you signing up in your local court then going through a series of tests and two interviews as well as other things. In GCSE Law you learn most training routes for a job as a lawyer. I suggest you should currently get as many 9's(This new GCSE is confusing for me I don't really know how they go) as possible and do your best in A- Level so you C=C can get into a good Uni for Law. Such as Cambridge(aim high).

Thanks for reply, feel like an idiot thinking magistrates get paid haha, but yes, thanks for the info.
Original post by joem12
Thanks for reply, feel like an idiot thinking magistrates get paid haha, but yes, thanks for the info.

As you appear genuinely interested in Law, I suggest you have a look at Barristers. Most Barristers usually find tend to be judges that....wait for it....GET PAID!
Original post by joem12

You're not an idiot, I presume you haven't studied law and it does look like quite an interesting job - but there are other salaried roles in the legal sector which you should look up, just as interesting as becoming a magistrate! Ask if you want any advice or guidance, I'd be happy to talk to you about it. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest