The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Don't vote stay! Vote LEAVE! Just watch this and it will all be explained as to why you should vote leave. It says it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFt-pRIvL9E
Don't be one of the gullible, brain washed idiots who believe the propaganda on TV or in the news. Leave is the way forward, for a better Britain. Leaving the EU would mean a better NHS, better border control, no IS terrorists coming into Britain, a lower rate in rape, better employment, financial success and so on. So much will be improved if we vote leave and escape the autocratic, dictatorial EUSSR! Don't waste your vote on an in vote. In the next few years you would have realized you made a mistake. Just don't make that mistake!!!!! Please for goodness sakes! Don't be a gullible sheep! Make your vote count! Vote leave for a better future!! For future generations to come who you are going to effect with this crucial, ever so important vote!
Remaining in the EU= RAPE AND TERRORISM.
Original post by cookie123456789
Remaining in the EU= RAPE AND TERRORISM.

Although there are risks with open borders to EU citizens (which non-EU migrants can become within 4 years), you are making the mistake of oversimplifying things and trying to scare people. The reality is, whichever way we vote, for most people there won't be any sudden drastic changes.
Original post by james813
Although there are risks with open borders to EU citizens (which non-EU migrants can become within 4 years), you are making the mistake of oversimplifying things and trying to scare people. The reality is, whichever way we vote, for most people there won't be any sudden drastic changes.

But staying in the EU would increase levels of rape and possibly terrorism
tl;dr?

:yawn:

Spoiler

But staying in the EU would increase levels of rape and possibly terrorism

lol
Original post by JordanL_
lol

It's no laughing matter. It's true as well
It's no laughing matter. It's true as well

If it's true I'm sure you can provide your source.
If it's true I'm sure you can provide your source.

My source is common sense.
My source is common sense.

You mean you don't have one.
@Jordan_L, I've been waiting for a week or so now for you to respond to my post. At this moment in time, nothing you are doing is making me want to convert to your side. Pretty lame arguments.

We pay £150 million per week to the EU, but in return we benefit from the science produced, the action against climate change, and the development of other EU countries - when one EU member state grows their economy, this benefits all of us in the long run.

I still don't know which way to vote so I've been doing a lot of online reading today and one thing that is bugging me is the money issue regarding our EU membership. I want to be at least 60% sure of which way I'm voting and so far no one has convinced me of either leave/remain because you all come out with these confident statements but then I look into them and find out it's not that simple.

Take for instance this bit that I've quoted of you above. You're making out that 150 mil a week is okay because it's less than the leave campaigners are saying. 150 mil is still a MASSIVE amount and those reasons for paying it seem weak to me. I've only just learned about this money today.

150 mil a week = seven billion eight hundred million A YEAR.
WTF?

Now you say this is good for us because the EU work on climate change/science/other EU member's development...but to me that is a weak argument because voters like me want to know how that 7+ BILLION (I still can't get over that) a year is actually helping UK citizens right now.

I work in the NHS and it's falling to pieces because of lack of money!!!!! But we're paying 7 BILLION for the EU to look into climate change for us? Okay, that's great - let's hand over billions to the EU whilst our citizens die and receive sub par care. What the hell? Our economy has been tanking and struggling along since recession hit in 2008 - I was unemployed for almost a year along with so many other people. No jobs, no money, benefits cuts to the disabled and bedroom tax on the elderly etc BUT we had 7 billion to spare to help other EU countries develop and look into climate change whilst our own citizens were ****ing queuing up at foodbanks and on NHS waiting lists as long as my leg!!

The more I read the more angry I get. What is the truth? STAY because of EU laws benefitting uk citizens and because of trade, LEAVE to save £££ and reagain control of borders???

There's good and bad on bother sides but that 7 billion waste at the expense of UK taxpayers who now get taxed for having an extra bedroom and can't get proper NHS treatment may have just swung my vote in the time it took me to write this.
Original post by KatieBlogger
I still don't know which way to vote so I've been doing a lot of online reading today and one thing that is bugging me is the money issue regarding our EU membership. I want to be at least 60% sure of which way I'm voting and so far no one has convinced me of either leave/remain because you all come out with these confident statements but then I look into them and find out it's not that simple.

Take for instance this bit that I've quoted of you above. You're making out that 150 mil a week is okay because it's less than the leave campaigners are saying. 150 mil is still a MASSIVE amount and those reasons for paying it seem weak to me. I've only just learned about this money today.

WTF?

Now you say this is good for us because the EU work on climate change/science/other EU member's development...but to me that is a weak argument because voters like me want to know how that 7+ BILLION (I still can't get over that) a year is actually helping UK citizens right now.

I work in the NHS and it's falling to pieces because of lack of money!!!!! But we're paying 7 BILLION for the EU to look into climate change for us? Okay, that's great - let's hand over billions to the EU whilst our citizens die and receive sub par care. What the hell? Our economy has been tanking and struggling along since recession hit in 2008 - I was unemployed for almost a year along with so many other people. No jobs, no money, benefits cuts to the disabled and bedroom tax on the elderly etc BUT we had 7 billion to spare to help other EU countries develop and look into climate change whilst our own citizens were ****ing queuing up at foodbanks and on NHS waiting lists as long as my leg!!

This is why we need the EU. You'd happily let the planet become uninhabitable for future generations to save a small amount of money now.

It's really bizarre how people think that the NHS is struggling because we give £7b to the EU. Maybe you should be as passionate about the billions in tax cuts for the rich, or the billions spent on bringing in useless new laws, or the billions brought into the country by EU immigrants that OUR GOVERNMENT REFUSES TO SPEND ON THE NHS. We have more than enough money to adequately fund the NHS, our government is choosing not to do it, and they'd continue to not do it if we left the EU, especially when tax revenue goes down so we have even less money than we started with.

WTF?

The more I read the more angry I get. What is the truth? STAY because of EU laws benefitting uk citizens and because of trade, LEAVE to save £££ and reagain control of borders???

There's good and bad on bother sides but that 7 billion waste at the expense of UK taxpayers who now get taxed for having an extra bedroom and can't get proper NHS treatment may have just swung my vote in the time it took me to write this.

£8.5Bn a year is our net contribution, call it our membership fee if you like.

That is about £165m a week. In that week we spend about 2.69Bn of public money on healthcare, £2.95Bn on pensions and £2.12Bn on welfare.

In other words the entire cost of our EU membership would fund health, welfare and pensions for between 7 and 8 days a year.

Someone added up all Leave's pledges for how that £8.5Bn could be spent and came to over £119Bn.

£8.5Bn is an enormous sum of money but it isn't very big when you look at the vast sums the government spends.
Original post by MrMackyTv
It's not hard to understand a threat... If Turkey doesn't get visa-free travel, then they will drop the migrants on us, they aren't going to send them to us. The migrants are a biological weapon, with some containing jihadis yes who want to reach here. It's not really hard to get to anywhere in Europe as soon as you pass Turkey as it's essentially border-less. It may be harder to come here because we are protected by the sea, but they can go through Calais to Dover, and a new route, Dymchurch.

If migrants are going to come here illegally, our EU membership has nothing to do with it.

Did you seriously just say that they have removed training programmes because they can do "whatever they want"? There's a reason to everything, the government doesn't do anything for no reason, you're the one who is naive. They have removed training programmes to save money because advertising outside the country in other places and recruiting elsewhere is wayyy more cheaper than training youths here, that's a recipe for disaster, period. Tell me where in my post I said the government will stop cutting spending and giving the rich tax cuts once we leave the EU. Staying in the EU is what is making the gap wider between the poor and the rich.

What? The EU invests in the poorest parts of the country. How did you come to this conclusion?

This is what I hate about the Remain side. Lies on top of lies on top of lies. There is a point system already in place for non-EU migrants, if anything, they are the ones who are more skilled than from the EU because we accept anyone from the EU, even for low-skilled jobs, because of the free migration.

Except....... they aren't? The statistics are in the OP. You can't call something a lie because you don't like it. EU immigrants are more skilled than non-EU immigrants. This is a fact.

People coming from non-EU countries are marginally higher than from the EU. Only by about 4,000, there's hardly any difference. There's a point system in place, far safer than the free migration system, and it would be fair if the system was implemented on all migration.

And yet despite that points system, EU immigrants are more skilled than non-EU immigrants. We aren't even controlling non-EU immigration properly.

Firstly, yes we will be building at a slower rate due to controlled immigration. That's a good thing as it reduces spending and at the same time controls immigration. It's really illogical to think that the government are refusing to build houses so they can cut taxes, no, it's to reduce spending because we were just in a recession not long ago.

The deficit is going down. They have the money to build houses, they just aren't building them. That won't change if we leave the EU.

What I'd like to ask you is if you think staying in the EU is going to help us with the housing crisis? Yes or no, simple question, don't dodge or do any tit for tat please (which you are already doing).

No, but neither will leaving.

"If we are leaving the EU, we will be isolated" Not true.
"If we leave the EU, no one will trade with us" Not true.

I haven't seen any ads paid for by the remain campaign saying any of this. Like I said, there's a difference between individuals saying something and a campaign paying to advertise something.

You haven't yet mentioned one disadvantage of leaving. I've admitted that the short-term effects may not be la di da, so please give me some examples from your perfect side please :smile:

I explain 4 disadvantages of leaving in the OP.
This is why we need the EU. You'd happily let the planet become uninhabitable for future generations to save a small amount of money now.

It's really bizarre how people think that the NHS is struggling because we give £7b to the EU. Maybe you should be as passionate about the billions in tax cuts for the rich, or the billions spent on bringing in useless new laws, or the billions brought into the country by EU immigrants that OUR GOVERNMENT REFUSES TO SPEND ON THE NHS. We have more than enough money to adequately fund the NHS, our government is choosing not to do it, and they'd continue to not do it if we left the EU, especially when tax revenue goes down so we have even less money than we started with.

I don't mean to be rude but if you're ill and waiting on NHS treatment and you're disabled and you're benfits have been cut AND the spare room that you store your wheelchairs, hoists and oxygen in is now being taxed...why on EARTH would you be thinking about the future health of the planet? I'm sorry but NO. I love our planet, I love nature and animals and people. I hate to see suffering. But all I see in the UK lately is SUFFERING. People at food banks, people being sanctioned unjustly, people recieving terrible NHS care, disabled people having benefits cut. It's so disgusting that the government is 'saving' money by hitting the poor and sick but handing over 7 bil to the EU. How can you defend that??
I don't mean to be rude but if you're ill and waiting on NHS treatment and you're disabled and you're benfits have been cut AND the spare room that you store your wheelchairs, hoists and oxygen in is now being taxed...why on EARTH would you be thinking about the future health of the planet? I'm sorry but NO. I love our planet, I love nature and animals and people. I hate to see suffering. But all I see in the UK lately is SUFFERING. People at food banks, people being sanctioned unjustly, people recieving terrible NHS care, disabled people having benefits cut. It's so disgusting that the government is 'saving' money by hitting the poor and sick but handing over 7 bil to the EU. How can you defend that??

Society doesn't exist solely to serve me and you. Of course I wouldn't care about climate change if I were disabled and my benefits were cut. I also wouldn't care about having a military, or a justice system, or anything else. We can't just stop funding everything because people are suffering, especially when the effects would be catastrophic AND PERMANENT. How irresponsible can you get?

I don't really see what the government saving money has to do with giving £7b to the EU. Like I said, they're giving away billions in tax cuts and spending billions on new laws that don't work, while the money coming into the country is going up (the deficit is half what it was 6 years ago - we have more money every year). But that doesn't seem to bother you, you'd rather pretend that the real problem is the Big Bad EU stealing our money.

If you don't like our government taking money away from the poor, maybe vote for a new government? I think you'll be very disappointed if we leave and you see the NHS getting even less money.
Society doesn't exist solely to serve me and you. Of course I wouldn't care about climate change if I were disabled and my benefits were cut. I also wouldn't care about having a military, or a justice system, or anything else. We can't just stop funding everything because people are suffering, especially when the effects would be catastrophic AND PERMANENT. How irresponsible can you get?

I don't really see what the government saving money has to do with giving £7b to the EU. Like I said, they're giving away billions in tax cuts and spending billions on new laws that don't work, while the money coming into the country is going up (the deficit is half what it was 6 years ago - we have more money every year). But that doesn't seem to bother you, you'd rather pretend that the real problem is the Big Bad EU stealing our money.

If you don't like our government taking money away from the poor, maybe vote for a new government? I think you'll be very disappointed if we leave and you see the NHS getting even less money.

Because our government keeps going on about austerity and recession and saying we are struggling yet it can afford to hand over 7 bil to the EU! Are you being deliberately stupid?

You have single-handedly convinced me to vote leave. If you are representative of remain then your campaign is a joke and you've betrayed your own citizens.
Because our government keeps going on about austerity and recession and saying we are struggling yet it can afford to hand over 7 bil to the EU! Are you being deliberately stupid?

You have single-handedly convinced me to vote leave. If you are representative of remain then your campaign is a joke and you've betrayed your own citizens.

our government

our government

our government

our government

Yes, OUR GOVERNMENT has £7b to give to the EU. They also have billions to give to the NHS, they just aren't giving it. They're going on about austerity so they can cut spending. They have plenty of money, they're choosing to cut spending, they could fund the NHS, they're choosing not to. I really don't get why this is so hard for you to understand.
https://www.facebook.com/UniversityofLiverpool/videos/1293361974024537/

If you are voting leave, watch this ^. All of it. It's persuaded me to remain (even though i'm not voting age lol)

Latest