The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roarchika
Congrats on being done with exams for the academic year! Ahhh, I guess I'd better get used to a lack of sleep now, then... :eek:
AHHHH I'M SO GLAD. There are loads of very arbitrary and pointless rules at my sixth form - I'm so pleased to hear it gets better!

Thanks, but I hope I've passed my exams - they were bloody hard and I really struggled. :tongue:

But I do love learning, and I especially love when I get shiny certificates for learning things - so I'm pretty happy where I am :wink:. Believe it or not, but not everybody does A Levels solely for them to go on a UCAS application! And maybe my application won't be stronger, but since I'm self-teaching 3 of my subjects, I'm sure my passion and commitment to my education will be very clear. Thanks for the well-wishes!

Looks like you have a very similar mentality to what I did at A-Level. Although I did 6 subjects rather than 7, so you're winning. :tongue:
Original post by emiloujess
There is a Clearing list from July but the official, final one goes up at midnight on Results Day :smile:

UCAS have changed it this year. The clearing lists will be available from July onwards. That means that the UCAS list on the Monday evening before results will be available online (and that's the list that will be in the telegraph).
Original post by usycool1
Thanks, but I hope I've passed my exams - they were bloody hard and I really struggled. :tongue:

I'm sure you have! As TSR tells us, finding exams hard doesn't mean bad things. (Plus, like. Uni exams. I'm sure they're on a whole other level to state-provided education)

Original post by usycool1
Looks like you have a very similar mentality to what I did at A-Level. Although I did 6 subjects rather than 7, so you're winning. :tongue:

~~~~ Gotta get those shiny certificates ~~~~
Actually, my school never gave me my GCSE certificates, so I'm really looking forward to getting my AS ones. I want proof of my hard work, goddamnit! And ahah, my sister did 6 too - one of the (less stellar) reasons I did the EPQ was because I wanted to beat her in something. I mean, the EPQ also teaches you really handy research and time-management and presentation skills and let's you get a taste of university life, but..... I really wanted to beat my sister at something.... :biggrin:
Original post by PQ
UCAS have changed it this year. The clearing lists will be available from July onwards. That means that the UCAS list on the Monday evening before results will be available online (and that's the list that will be in the telegraph).

Ooooh thanks I didn't know that! :biggrin:
Original post by Sacred Ground
Does Latin and critical thinking really constitute 2 A levels though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does Latin and critical thinking really constitute an A level though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The worth of Critical Thinking as an AS level is questionable, I agree, especially since the grade boundaries tend to be low with a lot of people being forced to take it and thus not deriving enjoyment from it and so not revising or working for the exam, which therefore makes it look like an easy subject to do well in. Latin, however, is considered one of the hardest GCSEs, and is incredibly respected at A level - especially when you come from a state school background. Whatever do you think Latin is? In case you truly didn't know, it's both language, with vocabulary and grammar, and literature, studying and being expected to translate the works of authors who lived 2000 years ago. It's harder than foreign language A levels, which are renowned for the amount of work they demand! (I know from experience).

I've already (for some reason) seen fit to justify my life choices to you in an attempt to kindly explain how my application is in fact viable and how I am a strong candidate in general. Either accept this or come back with better research and general knowledge, please - or tell me why you're so set on proving that my application is weak.

My apologies if this comes off as harsh, but really I've been perfectly polite up to this point. With Latin entries declining on a year-by-year basis and with my school being one of the only non-grammar state schools to provide it in the country, it deeply saddens me to see the ignorance rife amongst some parts of the population.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SH0405
:tsr:

2016 AS/A2 Results Day Thread
GOOD LUCK! SH0405

days to go

Having received my A2 results last year, I thought I'd make this thread (again). Below are some useful links (and people) to answer any questions you may have. If you think of something that might be useful, let me know. Good Luck!

Are you AS or A2?

What subjects are you taking?

How are exams going?/How did they go?

To which university are you hoping to go?

To study which subject?

What grades are required?

What grades are you predicted?

How are you feeling about results day?

Anything else to add?

FAQs
[Credit to @PQ]

Results

Have mark schemes been released?
[...]

When do grade boundaries get released?
There is no exact time for when grade boundaries are released. However, they are often released a day or so before results.

When can I collect my results from school/college?
That depends on the arrangements your school/college make - if you don't know the time then ring them up on Wednesday the 17th (there should be someone in that day) and ask.

How do I collect my results online?
Again, this depends on your exam boards and/or your school/college. If you don't know then ask them directly.

When do unis get our results?
UCAS get the results from the exam boards approximately a week before results day. They spend a day or two matching them to your applications and then send them on to universities either overnight Friday or Saturday. Universities then spend Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday MANUALLY comparing every offer to the results to decide whether applicants have met their offers or not (and if not whether they can be accepted with lower grades).

Track on Results Day

When will Track update?
Track will go live between 6am and 8am on results day. UCAS are saying 8am - it might go live earlier. It WON'T go live at midnight. At that point EVERYONE will be able to see any decisions that their universities have sent to UCAS.Just because it's live doesn't mean it will update for everyone. About 100,000 people the year before last didn't get a clear answer from Track first thing on Results Day - they had to collect their results and then ring up their firm/insurance unit.

My Track didn't change - is it worth hitting refresh until it does?
NO - once Track goes live again it then gets re-frozen in that state (because UCAS need to handle everyone and their dog hitting refresh constantly). Track WILL NOT CHANGE between 6am and midday. Hitting refresh just slows things down for everyone else. Give yourself some good karma - get off Track and go and buy the Telegraph(just in case), get together your contact numbers for your unis, top your phone up with credit (and charge it) and get ready to collect your results from School.

My Track didn't change! That means I failed!
NO - Universities have to MANUALLY compare every set of results with the offer conditions - even if it's a simple YES or NO for every one of those that means a lot of data input to put in to their database to send through to UCAS.If Track hasn't changed then that means that either:
a) You've met your offer and your uni knows that and hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
b) You've met your offer and your uni doesn't know that because your results got muddled up so they're waiting to talk to you to check before telling UCAS.
c) You've missed your offer but your uni wants you anyway but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.
d) You've imssed your offer but your uni want to make you an offer for a similar but less full course and haven't got round to telling UCAS.
e) You've missed your offer and your uni haven't decided yet whether they can take you or not - they might need to see how many Insurance people they have to take before they know they've got room first.
f) You've missed your offer and your firm uni doesn't want you but hasn't got round to telling UCAS.In other words - if Track hasn't changed that doesn't give ANY indication as to whether your results are good or bad. In fact in some ways it's good - of those applicants who got a definite answer on results day last year...?....some of them got a definite rejection. Being in limbo for a couple of hours is a GOOD thing compared to that.

My Firm place has confirmed me! That means I passed my A levels!
NO - remember - these things are decided MANUALLY....someone somewhere sits down with a pile of UCAS forms and a list of results and ticks off results against offers. If your firm has confirmed you - well done! You're in! BUT don't go into School/College expecting to see a long line of A grades. Just as a lot of unis can be slow in sending decisions to UCAS, some unis are VERY quick and will not only confirm the people who met their offers but will have confirmed a whole BUNCH of people who missed their grades.

Countdown

Click here

Guides to Results Day

Click here (Overall Guide)
Click here (Guide to Track)
Click here (UCAS)

Results Day Flowchart
[credit to @PQ]

Click here

Clearing/Adjustment

Click here

Performance Analysis

Click here

Marking Timeline

Click here

Helpful People*

@PQ, @Carnationlilyrose, @usycool1, @Puddles the Monkey, @Changing Skies, @claireestelle, @Nirgilis, @Slowbro93

*Well, they were helpful last year.

You made this thread specifically to torture me, didn't you? :frown:
Reply 247
Original post by Platopus
You made this thread specifically to torture me, didn't you? :frown:

Not just to torture you. To torture everyone.
Original post by SH0405
Not just to torture you. To torture everyone.

You sadist!
Original post by roarchika
The worth of Critical Thinking as an AS level is questionable, I agree, especially since the grade boundaries tend to be low with a lot of people being forced to take it and thus not deriving enjoyment from it and so not revising or working for the exam, which therefore makes it look like an easy subject to do well in. Latin, however, is considered one of the hardest GCSEs, and is incredibly respected at A level - especially when you come from a state school background. Whatever do you think Latin is? In case you truly didn't know, it's both language, with vocabulary and grammar, and literature, studying and being expected to translate the works of authors who lived 2000 years ago. It's harder than foreign language A levels, which are renowned for the amount of work they demand! (I know from experience).

I've already (for some reason) seen fit to justify my life choices to you in an attempt to kindly explain how my application is in fact viable and how I am a strong candidate in general. Either accept this or come back with better research and general knowledge, please - or tell me why you're so set on proving that my application is weak.

My apologies if this comes off as harsh, but really I've been perfectly polite up to this point. With Latin entries declining on a year-by-year basis and with my school being one of the only non-grammar state schools to provide it in the country, it deeply saddens me to see the ignorance rife amongst some parts of the population.

Good for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sociology today went pretty well, maybe I don't have to completely say goodbye to Cardiff just yet :wink:
Original post by emiloujess
Sociology today went pretty well, maybe I don't have to completely say goodbye to Cardiff just yet :wink:

Glad to hear mate! How many exams left now? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glad to hear mate! How many exams left now? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was so happy to see the questions I did. However the fact that I'm feeling happy about the exam makes me think I've actually got a C because 99% of the time when I'm feeling confident I've done worse than I think. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it. Looking back I could have done better on the 9 and 33 markers... argh I don't know!

One, just one! Then I am finished with A-Levels which will feel so good to say after 3 years! :smile: What about you?
Damn I'm so nervous for this! I know it's going to come really quickly too :frown:

The only thing that is getting me through, is that it'll give be a benchmark to work off of for next year. I think one of the issues of Y12 was that everything was new and I started from the rock bottom. At least starting Y13 in Sept, I will know what to do and two of my subjects will have already had 50% completed.
just wanted to drop in and wish you all luck- from a soon to be (hopefully) graduand.

I remember being in your shoes all those years ago, if you have any questions about university life and such I'll do my best to answer :h:
How did I miss "69 days to go" ;-; anyway, sykeeeeeeeeee
Original post by lilGem
just wanted to drop in and wish you all luck- from a soon to be (hopefully) graduand.

I remember being in your shoes all those years ago, if you have any questions about university life and such I'll do my best to answer :h:

Wot is uni lyf liek?

Seriously though and if you do not mind, which uni do you go to? :biggrin:
Still got 6 exams left, best not to think about results day haha
Original post by Imperion
Wot is uni lyf liek?

Seriously though and if you do not mind, which uni do you go to? :biggrin:

I've just completed (and awaiting my final classification on the 7th) a Biological Sciences degree at UEA :h:

Quick Reply

Latest