The Student Room Group

Query regarding GCSEs for Universities

Hey there, I am a GCSE student , that is around 10th grade. Pretty new here and hopefully I'd get some of the answers to my questions here.

What I wanted to ask was how many A* or A grades would I require in GCSE subjects inorder to study Medicine in the top 5 or top 10 Universities of UK as an international student. Really been wishing to get into the Cambridge university but there is a long road that awaits me.

My examinations are within 4 months which means around the Oct-Nov session. Please enlighten me!

The subjects that I already have which I'd be giving are as follows.

1: Math
2: Physics
3: Chemistry
4: Biology
5: English

Thanks!
Original post by UndyingWill
Hey there, I am a GCSE student , that is around 10th grade. Pretty new here and hopefully I'd get some of the answers to my questions here.

What I wanted to ask was how many A* or A grades would I require in GCSE subjects inorder to study Medicine in the top 5 or top 10 Universities of UK as an international student. Really been wishing to get into the Cambridge university but there is a long road that awaits me.

My examinations are within 4 months which means around the Oct-Nov session. Please enlighten me!

The subjects that I already have which I'd be giving are as follows.

1: Math
2: Physics
3: Chemistry
4: Biology
5: English

Thanks!

You technically don't need any but most applicants will have 5+ A*s. For Medicine I think there's a requirement so it's best to check different unis for their requirements.
Reply 2
Original post by Imperion
You technically don't need any but most applicants will have 5+ A*s. For Medicine I think there's a requirement so it's best to check different unis for their requirements.

Well generally speaking, I hope , it isn't like around 8 A* for the GCSEs. I hope those 5 subjects with with As and A*s would suffice. Oh and thank you for the reply!
Well generally speaking, I hope , it isn't like around 8 A* for the GCSEs. I hope those 5 subjects with with As and A*s would suffice. Oh and thank you for the reply!

Well generally 5 A* is a good guideline for medicine, generally over all courses most will have 7-8 A* but I believe they weigh more on your AS?
Reply 4
Well generally 5 A* is a good guideline for medicine, generally over all courses most will have 7-8 A* but I believe they weigh more on your AS?

Well, I am just worried that in case if I had great grades over all in my Alevels and was short of 3 A*s in my GCSES to get an admission in a reputable university.
That would be awful!

Also, do you think 4 months is enough to revise the 5 subjects along with doing past papers in order to get great greats if effort is put into it?
Well, I am just worried that in case if I had great grades over all in my Alevels and was short of 3 A*s in my GCSES to get an admission in a reputable university.
That would be awful!

Also, do you think 4 months is enough to revise the 5 subjects along with doing past papers in order to get great greats if effort is put into it?

If you're still unsure it'd be best to contact the universities themselves and get a much more accurate quotation.

4 months is a long time and I do think it is IF you do know the content, not learning it from scratch. If you do go for it, don't burn out, if you don't, well there's always June :tongue:
Reply 6
If you're still unsure it'd be best to contact the universities themselves and get a much more accurate quotation.

4 months is a long time and I do think it is IF you do know the content, not learning it from scratch. If you do go for it, don't burn out, if you don't, well there's always June :tongue:

Haha, no way am I delaying it for June. Unfortunately, the subject that I'd have to start from scratch is Biology, it's an interesting subject, I hope I'd do well. ._.

Also by a burn out what do mean? Like, die from over studying or something haha!
Haha, no way am I delaying it for June. Unfortunately, the subject that I'd have to start from scratch is Biology, it's an interesting subject, I hope I'd do well. ._.

Also by a burn out what do mean? Like, die from over studying or something haha!

Yeah, you'd probably have to give yourself a guideline eg. "Done with biology by *set date*" IMO much better than "3 hours of bio everyday" because some days you'll do 10 mins and be like "To hell with this" and others it'll be so interesting you're pushing 4 xD

Mentally exhaust yourself. Study hard, play hard. Reward yourself and know when enough is enough. If you need a break from studying, don't hesitate to take one.

Quick Reply

Latest