The Student Room Group

OCR C3 (not MEI) Official Thread - Tuesday 21st June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by marioman
I've just updated my post with the link to the 2015 paper.

Is it me or is question 4 in the 2015 paper worth way too many marks for what it is?
Can anyone think of any small things which i might not know i should know for tomorrow?
Reply 43
Original post by ughexams
the answer is 1/36 pi.... (for part iii)

I know
Reply 44
Hi! How do you find the range and domain from the equation? I always forget!:s-smilie:
Original post by r34_786
Hi! How do you find the range and domain from the equation? I always forget!:s-smilie:

not sure if there is a perfect way of doing it, but look for important things. If you have a fraction the denominator can not be 0, a square root can not be negative etc, and for range maybe find the stationary point
Reply 46
How do I show that:

1 ln(2) = ln(1/2e)
Original post by micycle
How do I show that:

1 ln(2) = ln(1/2e)

1 = ln(e)

so 1 - ln(2) = ln(e) - ln(2) = ln(e/2) = ln(0.5 e)
Reply 48
Thank you so much! :biggrin:
Original post by LukeWeatherstone
not sure if there is a perfect way of doing it, but look for important things. If you have a fraction the denominator can not be 0, a square root can not be negative etc, and for range maybe find the stationary point
I think proof in vectors will come up. Although I've never seen one in a paper, I've seen it in my textbook 😬
Original post by ArbaazMalik
I think proof in vectors will come up. Although I've never seen one in a paper, I've seen it in my textbook 😬

Vectors is C4.
Reply 51
Could anyone explain how to do question 8 ii on this specimen paper??
the mark scheme makes the second derivative equal to 0 but I don't know why.
Original post by 16characterlimit
Vectors is C4.

Oh yeah. My mind is just mental atm.
can someone help me with this question from jan 2006

3sin6Bcosec2B=4 where beta lies between zero and 90 degrees

any help would be appreciated
Original post by LukeWeatherstone
Can anyone think of any small things which i might not know i should know for tomorrow?

perhaps the graphs of cosec sec cot etc?
Reply 55
Original post by SI 1
Could anyone explain how to do question 8 ii on this specimen paper??
the mark scheme makes the second derivative equal to 0 but I don't know why.

the second derivative is the rate of change of gradient. so when the second rerivative = 0, the rate of change or gradient is at a turning point, thus it is maximum.
Reply 56
Original post by duncant
the second derivative is the rate of change of gradient. so when the second rerivative = 0, the rate of change or gradient is at a turning point, thus it is maximum.

Thank you so much! :smile:
So at a turning point the gradient of a curve is the maximum. I always thought the gradient was 0 at turning points.
Reply 57
Original post by SI 1
Thank you so much! :smile:
So at a turning point the gradient of a curve is the maximum. I always thought the gradient was 0 at turning points.

The gradient is always 0 at turning points, be it maximum or minimum :smile:

The turning point could be either a minimum or a maximum, hence why you differentiate again to prove. If the value of x substituted into D^2y/Dx^2 is greater than 0, it's a minimum point and if it's less then it's a maximum point!
Reply 58
Original post by AlfieH
The gradient is always 0 at turning points, be it maximum or minimum :smile:

The turning point could be either a minimum or a maximum, hence why you differentiate again to prove. If the value of x substituted into D^2y/Dx^2 is greater than 0, it's a minimum point and if it's less then it's a maximum point!

Sorry I probably sound really stupid but how would you know that the maximum value of the gradient is 0? Could the max gradient not be more than 0? I would think that there'll be a point on the curve where the gradient is more than 0.
Reply 59
Original post by SI 1
Sorry I probably sound really stupid but how would you know that the maximum value of the gradient is 0? Could the max gradient not be more than 0? I would think that there'll be a point on the curve where the gradient is more than 0.

It's not the point at which the gradient is the maximum - so you may be getting confused there.

Nor is it the point where the gradient is the lowest.

Instead the gradient is always 0 at the turning points/ min or max points. It is the maximum/ minimum as in the highest/lowest POINT of the curve not gradient.

If that makes sense?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending