The Student Room Group

Why do everyone go to Spain for holidays?

Like literally everyone. It seems to be the ideal destination for the 'lads' and you often see an influx of British tourists in Spain. Why not go somewhere romantic like Italy or somewhere adventurous like Taiwan?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

It's all an imperial conspiracy. In thirty years time people will look back at Benidorm, and remark: "that was where the 2nd British Empire began".
Reply 2
obvs bc ibizzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

party capital of europe, ygm.

romantic with the lads? you wot. :cheers:

Spoiler

The industry in Spain has geared towards making it cheap and attractive for the UK. It is pretty close to the UK (£80 RyanAir return?). This is attractive for many students who don't want to pay a lot but still want to get drunk on a beach. They can buy (possibly) cheaper alcohol too. Since all the students go there, more young people follow through publicised events and hearing of good times through word of mouth with friends. Italy is a bit more expensive and they (possibly) wouldn't allow the unruly alcoholic lads. It also has less beach resorts to my knowledge. Taiwan is much more expensive by flights alone.
Reply 4
The cost lol

France and Spain are nice places to go on cheap. Not everyone has a spare £1k to spend on flights.
Original post by grassntai
Like literally everyone. It seems to be the ideal destination for the 'lads' and you often see an influx of British tourists in Spain. Why not go somewhere romantic like Italy or somewhere adventurous like Taiwan?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too generalised
We are taking a holiday every year and we have not been to Spain yet
Reply 6
Heading off to Barcelona in the summer 'with the lads', damn I hate conforming to stereotypes :cry:
The girls there are peng
Not everyone can afford to go many other places so Spain has realised that and made itself attractive for people on a budget looking for a good time (cheap alcohol, beaches and leisure facilities)
I've never been to Spain but I think it's because it's cheaper and Spain is known for nightclubs. I think alcohol is cheaper in Spain.
Original post by Latimaster
The industry in Spain has geared towards making it cheap and attractive for the UK. It is pretty close to the UK (£80 RyanAir return?). This is attractive for many students who don't want to pay a lot but still want to get drunk on a beach. They can buy (possibly) cheaper alcohol too. Since all the students go there, more young people follow through publicised events and hearing of good times through word of mouth with friends. Italy is a bit more expensive and they (possibly) wouldn't allow the unruly alcoholic lads. It also has less beach resorts to my knowledge. Taiwan is much more expensive by flights alone.

You can easily get a £30 return :tongue:
Original post by grassntai

Posted from TSR Mobile

Low cost and distance but still mental fun and gorgeous sites..and sights lol
Same for Greece

Original post by Alexion
Heading off to Barcelona in the summer 'with the lads', damn I hate conforming to stereotypes :cry:

Wicked, have fun. I went on holiday to Crete ages ago, best time of my life. Is it to celebrate going to uni or something?
Original post by 0to100
Wicked, have fun. I went on holiday to Crete ages ago, best time of my life. Is it to celebrate going to uni or something?

Yeah, last summer before we split for uni, might as well make it fun :ahee:
Because it's a lovely place :biggrin:

Went with friends in 2014 and we even made the trip to Buñol for La Tomatina :biggrin: It was really good fun :ahee:
Original post by Alexion
Yeah, last summer before we split for uni, might as well make it fun :ahee:

That's the way to do it, reminds me of the 1st Inbetweeners film lool just hope your stay goes way better than theirs. When I went we were of the age where our folks would help out a bit all pooled together so we planned beforehand like booked flights and decent rooms and made reservations at attractions. :yes: I've seen tourists overseas untold times and they planned for **** all and left traumatised lmfao
Spain was one of the original destinations for cheap sunny package holidays in the 70s. The infrastructure has all been built and the travel companies continue to promte it heavily.

Spain actually has a lot to offer in terms of culture and geography outside the traditional tourist traps. The northen coast being a particular highlight.
Less than 1000 miles away (in fact I think the closest point between the UK mainland and Spain is circa 450 miles).
Cheap.
Hot.

No further explanation really.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Italy's a bit expensive to holiday. I've been eyeing a first trip there but I haven't found any value.
been going to spain with my family every year since i was 3, i'm 19 now :biggrin: heading to barcelona next month and hoping to go to portaventura too looks awesome

Italy's a bit expensive to holiday. I've been eyeing a first trip there but I haven't found any value.

Quick Reply

Latest