The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Im really hating on trying to get work exp right now, fml
Original post by Rasillon
Im really hating on trying to get work exp right now, fml

What have you done/are you doing to get it?
Is domiciliary care good work experience for GEM or is it better to try and get something in the hospital
Original post by Marathi
What have you done/are you doing to get it?

Well it begs the Age old question, does what did prior to failing in my original A100 application still count? or do I have to do it all again. Because I found the moment I stepped into uni, no one wants a biomed student shadowing them in or near newcastle area

As for what I've done;
Worked for several months as a Pharmacy Technician
Shadowed a Doctor in a GP surgery
Shadowed a Doctor on call
Peru Volunteering
Spent a week shadowing F1 doctors in a Acute Mental health ward

Im trying to arrange volunteering at an A&E ward, as well as more clinical stuff, but all that stuff was whilst I was in year 13, so does it still count?
Im also considering Gap Medics and joining the uni's volunteering society.
Well it begs the Age old question, does what did prior to failing in my original A100 application still count? or do I have to do it all again. Because I found the moment I stepped into uni, no one wants a biomed student shadowing them in or near newcastle area

As for what I've done;
Worked for several months as a Pharmacy Technician
Shadowed a Doctor in a GP surgery
Shadowed a Doctor on call
Peru Volunteering
Spent a week shadowing F1 doctors in a Acute Mental health ward

Im trying to arrange volunteering at an A&E ward, as well as more clinical stuff, but all that stuff was whilst I was in year 13, so does it still count?
Im also considering Gap Medics and joining the uni's volunteering society.

GEM universities typically want the experience to be within the past 2 years of your application. A lot of them also like to see a long term commitment to work experience rather than patches of weeks here and there.

It sounds as though you are still in full time education so that makes things more difficult. However have you looked at working/volunteering with the disabled or those with learning difficulties? Volunteering on a hospital ward doing housekeeping duties? Working or volunteering at a hospice/nursing home? Many of these places offer part time weekend work and would be more than happy to have volunteers.

Applicants put a lot of emphasis on shadowing doctors because, let's face it, it's definitely more interesting than many of the alternatives. However, universities want to see a long term commitment and proof that you have your own experience of hands on patient care, even if it just the mundane HCA stuff (which can get more interesting as you skill up - observations, blood sugar checks, venipuncture, dressings, etc.)

I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Marathi
GEM universities typically want the experience to be within the past 2 years of your application. A lot of them also like to see a long term commitment to work experience rather than patches of weeks here and there.

It sounds as though you are still in full time education so that makes things more difficult. However have you looked at working/volunteering with the disabled or those with learning difficulties? Volunteering on a hospital ward doing housekeeping duties? Working or volunteering at a hospice/nursing home? Many of these places offer part time weekend work and would be more than happy to have volunteers.

Applicants put a lot of emphasis on shadowing doctors because, let's face it, it's definitely more interesting than many of the alternatives. However, universities want to see a long term commitment and proof that you have your own experience of hands on patient care, even if it just the mundane HCA stuff (which can get more interesting as you skill up - observations, blood sugar checks, venipuncture, dressings, etc.)

I hope this helps :smile:

Kinda sorta, the major issue is, there are zero HCA jobs here, and im in full time, so like you said, it becomes quite the issue to try hold a job when your uni days are 9am - 7pm. I'm looking at volunteering with the disabled however, the places get eaten up quick, Im trying hard to think out of the box but right now it's not going well
Kinda sorta, the major issue is, there are zero HCA jobs here, and im in full time, so like you said, it becomes quite the issue to try hold a job when your uni days are 9am - 7pm. I'm looking at volunteering with the disabled however, the places get eaten up quick, Im trying hard to think out of the box but right now it's not going well

I THINK (although don't quote me on this) that universities DO take into account the fact that you're in full time education and how that can affect being able to undertake work experience. Because I am also sort of in the same position as you... Biomed student, rejected from A100 etc. Although I'm waiting to hear back from the hospital in regards to my work exp (because I've done it before at that same hospital I'm not sure if they'll let me do it again but one can hope and wait) but alongside that I also work part time in retail so it does make everything more tightly compact and difficult :/
At what stage do people intend to start their UCAS applications? September time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
At what stage do people intend to start their UCAS applications? September time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The more successful ones start it around the end of August, like, why wait?
Reply 729
Hi guys

Does anyone know how much emphasis is given to students who have already attained their degree/ masters/phd in comparison to those still undertaking their degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The more successful ones start it around the end of August, like, why wait?

On what basis do you say this?
Original post by IS93
Hi guys

Does anyone know how much emphasis is given to students who have already attained their degree/ masters/phd in comparison to those still undertaking their degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The university websites state this in their Entry Requirements. For example Warwick does not count Masters/PhD until they're completed. But I contacted them and stated that I would have all my MA completed prior to the October deadline just not 'officially' - they stated that this was fine and would be counted towards my application as I would be able to provide grades/marks for all modules including my dissertation.
Original post by Marathi
On what basis do you say this?

Mostly anecdotal evidence. Mostly common sense that if you formulate it at the mid way of August as opposed to October 10th, it will be a better prepared application?

The anecdotal side comes from an elder brother and his 4 friends, none of them received rejections, they made all their applications similar but not exactly the same and all started at the same time, around mid august.
But as I said, anecdotal.

Overall I feel my point will still stand that if you start it earlier, you're under less stress and you get your points across in an effective manner over several drafts

I was told by my boarding school tutor to also do the same thing when applying g to A100
Original post by Marathi
The university websites state this in their Entry Requirements. For example Warwick does not count Masters/PhD until they're completed. But I contacted them and stated that I would have all my MA completed prior to the October deadline just not 'officially' - they stated that this was fine and would be counted towards my application as I would be able to provide grades/marks for all modules including my dissertation.

Do you know if Masters/PhD students take priority over the BSc/BA students?
Do you know if Masters/PhD students take priority over the BSc/BA students?

Some places lower the UKCAT boundary for a PhD or Master's, it makes it easier to get an interview but I think once you make interview it's a level playing field.
Original post by Quilverine
Some places lower the UKCAT boundary for a PhD or Master's, it makes it easier to get an interview but I think once you make interview it's a level playing field.

Pretty much this. GEM tries to be fair to everybody as long as you hit the entrance exam results and minimum work experience requirements. Interviews are where applications are given and taken away.
Reply 736
Original post by JenniB22
Hey! Sorry to butt in, just wanted to share that I am a classics graduate (oxford, sorry) and applied for GEMS this year at Kings, Warwick, Newcastle, and Southampton. I've had offers from newcastle and southampton (plus an offer for kings 5 year, which I can't take up due to finances) and have firmed southampton. Things you might want to bear in mind are that sgul cut their gem course massively this year, so it's worth keeping an eye on the situation as they may phase it out completely. Also GAMSAT is pretty tough if you're not a scientist...especially since you'll be applying during your final year! Ukcat is much less time consuming and in my opinion suits classicists well (the reading comprehension and code analysis parts, anyway).

Anyway, best of luck, feel free to PM me any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Jenni,
I just want to ask, did you study chemistry and biology for a-level? I just graduated nursing and I really want to study medicine. Any tips? I want to apply for the graduate course and I don't know which exam to take. I'm jut quite confused with the process really.
Thank you, Alexie
Original post by atelan
Hi Jenni,
I just want to ask, did you study chemistry and biology for a-level? I just graduated nursing and I really want to study medicine. Any tips? I want to apply for the graduate course and I don't know which exam to take. I'm jut quite confused with the process really.
Thank you, Alexie

I didn't study either originally, I did languages. But I wanted to apply to Southampton for gem so I did chemistry a level as an independent student after I graduated. It was expensive, and I wouldn't recommend it until unless you really want to apply to somewhere that requires it!

First things first, make a list of all the places that will accept your nursing degree. Some count it as a science and some don't. When you know that, look at which entrance exams each place uses. Then you can work out which one or ones would be sensible to take :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mostly anecdotal evidence. Mostly common sense that if you formulate it at the mid way of August as opposed to October 10th, it will be a better prepared application?

The anecdotal side comes from an elder brother and his 4 friends, none of them received rejections, they made all their applications similar but not exactly the same and all started at the same time, around mid august.
But as I said, anecdotal.

Overall I feel my point will still stand that if you start it earlier, you're under less stress and you get your points across in an effective manner over several drafts

I was told by my boarding school tutor to also do the same thing when applying g to A100

Anecdotal or not it's still a poor basis, and a group size of 5 makes for poor statistical analysis. The only time consuming part (arguably, depending on your ability to produce one) is the personal statement. The rest of the UCAS form is just plugging in details and/or waiting for Acer to send of GAMSAT results. It can be done with a nice brew at the computer one morning before lunch time 😜

Not that I disagree that it may as well just get done earlier (because quite frankly, why not) but I see no evidence at all of it effecting the success of an application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tariro134
Is domiciliary care good work experience for GEM or is it better to try and get something in the hospital

I am doing domiciliary care at weekends alongside my other job (not medicine related) - I believe that these sorts of roles are looked upon really favourably as it shows a desire to help people and that you are prepared to do some less glamorous stuff... I am also doing some shadowing here and there in hospitals, but would intend mainly on studying up on all the conditions I see my service users with from a medicine perspective (Dementia, Heart Failure etc), and working that in with the caring side. Having a long stint as a domiciliary carer is going to look much better than a few days of following a consultant around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending