The Student Room Group

Official AQA A2 Law June 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Alicetindale
I did assault
Then debated s20 and s18, then settled with s18, Then said battery for the kick can contribute, and then did self defence
Second but I did murder and the unlawful act, didn't have time to write about gross

I did exactly the same as you, except I didn't put self defence and I put gross negligence for the second question. Good luck!
I forgot to include defences in the first question for scenario 1! How many marks could i get?
Reply 262
If t was diminished responsibility then what was the recognised medical condition
Depends on scheme.

If defences are included in potential content with their corresponding offence, then clear.

If both defences are sperate as a PC(C) then you would have missed it.

Most likely the former.

Original post by Aishmalik
I forgot to include defences in the first question for scenario 1! How many marks could i get?
Where was the DR for scenario 2??
Original post by Ra141
If t was diminished responsibility then what was the recognised medical condition

I said it was Alcohol Dependency Syndrome (ADS) as he'd drank for many years and couldn't stop and then he started getting hallucinations from it too.
Reply 266
I did scenario 2, I did:
Q 1- assault, battery, s.18/s.20 wounding Q
Q 2- Gross neg, loss of control, unlawful act

I mistakenly didn't read the 'murder of' in Q2 and assumed it was gross when i read the scenario. How many marks would i lose for doing gross instead of murder?
and would my loss of control be marked? because I don't know if it is a defense for gross??
Reply 267
Original post by Ra141

ADS/ Schizophrenia- depends which way you argued it...
that was a **** exam honestly question 1 too much was required and for both scenarios there was murder and involuntary manslaughter
I did scenario 2 for the first question I did assault of Genna and then Helen battery occasioning s.20 wounding to Genna and self defence and then for second question murder with loss of control and unlawful act manslaughter very briefly
Original post by OSFC98
I did scenario 2, I did:

I mistakenly didn't read the 'murder of' in Q2 and assumed it was gross when i read the scenario. How many marks would i lose for doing gross instead of murder?
and would my loss of control be marked? because I don't know if it is a defense for gross??

Loss of control is only a defence to murder, as it is partial and brings it down to manslaughter. Gross neg is a basic intent, therefore you're looking at the general defences, not the special ones for murder.
Did you do any defences in section 1 ? And how did you justify it was gross, because I only had time for unlawful
Does anyone want to trade their BCI/Fault essay for my Creativity/Morality.
Original post by OSFC98
I did scenario 2, I did:

I think you'll still get your marks for the loss of control but depending on how much depth you went into for unlawful act manslaughter you probably could have got 17 marks, so it shouldn't be too bad
I did scenario 2
Q4-Assault to Helen
S.20 to Genna/self - defence
Q5-didn't manage to do one part of the question as I ran out of time. For the other part I did manslaughter by unlawful & dangerous act. I mentioned loss of control but not sure if that would actually apply
I wrote battery for the injuries on Brandon, they werent serious
Original post by katherine9609
I did scenario 2
Q4-Assault to Helen
S.20 to Genna/self - defence
Q5-didn't manage to do one part of the question as I ran out of time. For the other part I did manslaughter by unlawful & dangerous act. I mentioned loss of control but not sure if that would actually apply

What do you mean? you missed out Q5 completely?
Reply 276
I meant for senario 2
Original post by midgie100
I said it was Alcohol Dependency Syndrome (ADS) as he'd drank for many years and couldn't stop and then he started getting hallucinations from it too.
Reply 277
Original post by _Alicetindale
Loss of control is only a defence to murder, as it is partial and brings it down to manslaughter. Gross neg is a basic intent, therefore you're looking at the general defences, not the special ones for murder.
Did you do any defences in section 1 ? And how did you justify it was gross, because I only had time for unlawful

I did a duty via an omission (miller) and no I did no defences for section 1
Original post by OrdinaryStudent

I think ABH and even s20 had to be considered. Red swelling and sting pain is arguably ABH by nature. The repeated kicking compounded by the fact that Brandon was much smaller than Adam gave scope to use Bollom and Brown Stratton for GBH justification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 279
Original post by OrdinaryStudent

I think the use of the word "painful" indicated ABH...

Quick Reply

Latest