The Student Room Group

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pyslocke
Anyone reckon 73/75 is +95 UMS?

How many marks will I lose for the 6 marker question in question 8b?
I did everything right up to the part where I did my complete the square wrong (i put a + instead of a -).
Original post by us3r12345us3r
How many working marks do you think i would get on Q2b.) for finding a range using an incorrect dy/dx found in part a? and how many marks would i loose on question 9c.) for leaving as T= -5ln(1/2/(1+e^-1))

Probably one method mark depending on how you did it.

Probably lose 1, perhaps 2.
Reply 1823
guys and girls,

For the last part of question 9 I made a sign error and put -5ln(...) instead of 5ln(...)

The inside of my bracket was correct it seems, how many marks out of 4 do you think I would get for that?

I felt challenging paper, but for the top students it wouldn't have been as hard as people make it up to be, leading me to believe 72-75 for full ums, it tested time management as well as a variety of aspects that haven't come up in a while.
For the sketch arcsin(x) question, I sketched it correctly; however, I sketch as what would be a reflection in the y-axis, so it would have been of the form f(-x). Do you think i've lost one mark or two despite getting the general shape correct?
Pls help!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by samwray
What I'm wondering is the algebraic long division: somehow ****ed it up and am thinking I probably got 2 out of four marks in it. As I didn't really have time to go over it again I just used that answer, differentiated it, subbed in a value of x and got an equation of the normal with it. This answer will obviously be wrong because part a) is wrong but how much will that impact on part b) (part b) is six marks). I'm thinking maybe I at a push get 3 out of the 6 marks - maybe more, maybe less?

i did that aswell, messed up the long division so got a weird equation, part a was 4 marks, part b 5 marks. i think we get 2 method marks for each part so in total we lose 5 marks. this is my opinion though so i can easily be wrong
Reply 1826
how much for 100ums?
Original post by Sapereaude54
For the sketch arcsin(x) question, I sketched it correctly; however, I sketch as what would be a reflection in the y-axis, so it would have been of the form f(-x). Do you think i've lost one mark or two despite getting the general shape correct?
Pls help!!

I imagine you'll get a maximum of 1 mark. How many was it in total?
Original post by Yua
how much for 100ums?

74? 73 at a push
Anyone willing to help a brother out ? ..." *** ... For the Rcos question I put -26.57 for alpha for some odd reason .. maybe be I though -sinx and thought -1 or some **** .. idk I was half asleep ... how many marks would I lose as it effects the entire question."
Original post by TheMathsMan
Anyone willing to help a brother out ? ..." *** ... For the Rcos question I put -26.57 for alpha for some odd reason .. maybe be I though -sinx and thought -1 or some **** .. idk I was half asleep ... how many marks would I lose as it effects the entire question."

Not entirely sure but probably a lot I would guess. Sorry mate
think i got 64 marks and i neeeeed 90 ums because i resat this exam from last year and i got 90 ums in core 4. im wanting to go to durham but part of the requirement is a* in maths. im so annoyed with myself for doing so many stupid mistakes..
Original post by mk_98
What did everyone get for the value of k (asymptote) on the graph. I got 21

as x tends to infinity, 4e^2x tends to zero, so you get mod of -25 being k, which is 25.
For Question 8:

2 (1 - tan^2x) / 2tanx ) + tanx

= 1/tanx - (tan^2x / tanx) + tanx/1

= 1/tanx - (tan^2x / tanx) + tan^2x/tanx

=1/tanx + 0

= cot x
Original post by cjlh
Lol almost definitely..

Yeah I know it sounds like a stupid question xD. But it has to be 95 and not 93/94. Last year it was 68/75 for 95 so hopefully...
Does Arsey still post an unofficial mark scheme?
Original post by Maxoman
think i got 64 marks and i neeeeed 90 ums because i resat this exam from last year and i got 90 ums in core 4. im wanting to go to durham but part of the requirement is a* in maths. im so annoyed with myself for doing so many stupid mistakes..

Gonna have to do another year then.
Original post by crazymonkey007
For Question 8:

2 (1 - tan^2x) / 2tanx ) + tanx

= 1/tanx - (tan^2x / tanx) + tanx/1

= 1/tanx - (tan^2x / tanx) + tan^2x/tanx

=1/tanx + 0

= cot x

That's what I did. Very simple proof
Original post by fishs003
It wasn't my markscheme - I didn't do as well as that, all credit for it goes to the name on the thread, I just found it!

I did M1 this year and thought it was okay - hopefully got a solid A in it.
Although was aiming for an A had potential to reach for an A*, but don't think that will be the case after that C3 exam!

How did you think this years C3 compared to last years?

I think that it definitely pulled out more stops than last year, like that arcsin(x) graph never comes up and with exponential's that dosage has only ever come up once I think. So in that sense it was a bit more obscure than last year and I should expect the grade boundaries to be even lower, if not then the same.

Don't worry about the A*, you can still definitely get it by getting a really good mark in C4. Make sure that you've done most Gold papers and only do C4 past papers that are post 2011 as those are much more representative to what you're going to get this year.

Good luck!!
Original post by Maxoman

Durham is my top choice! I need A*AA for Industrial Chemistry so I'm praying all the rest of my exams go decently

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending