The Student Room Group

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by veronica1297
Durham is my top choice! I need A*AA for Industrial Chemistry so I'm praying all the rest of my exams go decently

how did you do in core 3?
anyone reckon the grade boundaries would be reli similar to last year's coz the length is almost the same and i think tdy's paper's slightly harder than last year's...
Original post by TheMathsMan
*** ... For the Rcos question I put -26.57 for alpha for some odd reason .. maybe be I though -sinx and thought -1 or some **** .. idk I was half asleep ... how many marks would I lose as it effects the entire question.

Unlucky man, I did the exact same thing and worked out a negative alpha and then I asked myself 'wtf am I doing?'.
Original post by Maxoman
how did you do in core 3?

I think I did alright, definitely not as well as I had hoped. Probably a low A.
Original post by veronica1297
Does Arsey still post an unofficial mark scheme?

no, he's been asked by edexcel not to
Original post by JoshuaKader97
I think that it definitely pulled out more stops than last year, like that arcsin(x) graph never comes up and with exponential's that dosage has only ever come up once I think. So in that sense it was a bit more obscure than last year and I should expect the grade boundaries to be even lower, if not then the same.

Don't worry about the A*, you can still definitely get it by getting a really good mark in C4. Make sure that you've done most Gold papers and only do C4 past papers that are post 2011 as those are much more representative to what you're going to get this year.

Good luck!!

You need 90UMS in core 3...
Original post by TheMathsMan
Anyone willing to help a brother out ? ..." *** ... For the Rcos question I put -26.57 for alpha for some odd reason .. maybe be I though -sinx and thought -1 or some **** .. idk I was half asleep ... how many marks would I lose as it effects the entire question."

For
a) lose 1
b) lose 2
c) lose 2 (assuming that both of the marks are for accuracy)
Can't remember the values I got from solving the trig equation but I got cot^2(x) - 3cot(x) - 1 = 0 so tanx = 2/(3+/-root13) does this ring a bell for anyone?
Original post by Pablo Picasso
For
a) lose 1
b) lose 2
c) lose 2 (assuming that both of the marks are for accuracy)

thanks for answering mate .. made me feel a tad bit better :P Wasn't a bad paper tbh .. my only problems was the stupid alpha mistake and a bit of the last question. How did you find it ?
Original post by Owensmith16
You need 90UMS in core 3...

You need 180 total from C3 and C4, not necessarily 90 in both.
Original post by Swifty139
Can't remember the values I got from solving the trig equation but I got cot^2(x) - 3cot(x) - 1 = 0 so tanx = 2/(3+/-root13) does this ring a bell for anyone?

yeah got the same thing
I counted 60/75 for myself because of my stupid mistakes .... :/ Still on track for my a grade though ;-p I think ...
Original post by Azzer11
Unlucky man, I did the exact same thing and worked out a negative alpha and then I asked myself 'wtf am I doing?'.

What was alpha then ?
How many marks will I have lost for only finding the wrong value for the tan4x turning point question?

Think that's the only marks I've dropped on this paper, was hoping for full UMS
Original post by Pablo Picasso
Gonna have to do another year then.

you seem like a dick
Original post by Angus09
What was alpha then ?

26.57 I believe.
did the normal equation question specify in the form y= ?
Original post by the___jackal

Not at all, so

y-16 = -1/2(x-3) suffice
Original post by the___jackal

I believe it said "find an equation" so no specific form
Original post by Azzer11
Can anyone explain why the hell I got the last answer right but in its negatve form i.e. -5ln(...) instead of 5ln(...). Probably just some stupid sign error, 2 marks lost approx?

i got -5 aswell and then when people were saying they got 5 i wasnt sure where i went wrong but now ive realized. i dont know if you did the same working as me but i multiplied everything by e^0.2T and wrote down 0.5e^-0.2T insteadof 0.5e^0.2 T on the RHS. so when i divided by -0.2T instead of 0.2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending