The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liverpool2044
ok a few questions

1, i put 11 microfarad for first part i clearly put gradient = q/v and triangle will i pick up marks
2, the question after will there be ecf for it
3, time constant i used ln0.8 how many marks lost
4, could i talk about the mass in beta minus p question and link to kinetic equation

thanks

1. Probably.
2. Probably, but only if you used the right method in the first part (which it sounds like you did).
3. No one knows.
4. No one knows.
Original post by spanisholive
Not sure if it would be worth any marks because it doesn't really show the equation being used or understanding that V=0.2Vo. Sorry :frown:

I thought it decreased to 80% of the value, so V=0.8Vo ?
Original post by jonny7bell

You read it wrong.
Original post by marioman
You read it wrong.

Damn, how many marks was it out of? I am pretty sure I got the formula right so I got 202s I think.
Has anyone uploaded a markscheme or the question paper yet?

Yep it decreased by 80%. So say if the original value was 1, the new value would be 0.2.
is there an unofficial mark scheme to section B?
Original post by BlueSi
For the last question on section B, I thought that no current is induced in the wheel because it's not connected to a circuit? So there's a magnetic force on the wheel which causes it to slow down but no current. Does anyone know if i'm going to lose marks if I didn't talk about electromagnetic induction in that part?

exactly what i did. we're right that there is no current , but the is emf induced and i didn't mention that:frown:
Damn, how many marks was it out of? I am pretty sure I got the formula right so I got 202s I think.

I dont remember how many marks it was out of. But I also accidentally used 0.8 instead of 0.2 and I got the same answer as you (202s). We wont lose that many marks for it though, since the method is correct and then there "might" be ECF for the next part.

Anyone know what was the answer to Q20 multiple choice? The one about capacitors that we had to select which option had the correct graphs for Voltage and for Current i think...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KD1997
exactly what i did. we're right that there is no current , but the is emf induced and i didn't mention that:frown:

i thought that if an emf is induced then that means the electrons experience an electromagnetic force and so move, so there is a current ?
What did people do for the momentum of the alpha particle?
What did people do for the momentum of the alpha particle?

1466514697887.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there an unofficial markscheme to either paper yet? if so could someone post the link please?
Original post by Waffles15
Is there an unofficial markscheme to either paper yet? if so could someone post the link please?

There is one for both.

Section A: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4177478

Section B: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3918109&page=70&p=65947098#post65947098
@kingaaran could you post the paper please
Did anyone else get 1e-12 kgms-1 for the momentum of the alpha particle?
I put that N only including the mass of the nucleons of the atom, and did not take into account the mass of the electrons. So, as a beta particle primarily involves an electron, m and N would be the same mass.

Does that look like an acceptable answer?

Hmm, doesn't sound quite right. Why would m and N be the same mass? m is the mass of an electron (in the latter case) and N the mass of the nuclei.

I think what they are really looking for is the fact that the velocity of the electron varies; the kinetic energy of the alpha particle is, conversely, constant due to the nature of the decay.

The momentum of the electron varies since some of the momentum is shared between the electron and some by the antineutrino. The proportion that goes to each varies from decay to decay.
Original post by xMillnsy
Anybody got a summary on ligands and complex ions?

I think you're in wrong place :tongue:
Unless physics Unit 4 now includes complex ions accelerating through an electric field
I wrote my answers to Section B ( written paper) in fountain pen :0 Will it not get scanned ?
Original post by -Gifted-
I wrote my answers to Section B ( written paper) in fountain pen :0 Will it not get scanned ?

Lol I did all my work in fountain pen too. It's fine, I did everything in fountain pen last year, no problem whatsoever

Quick Reply