The Student Room Group

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
I completely messed up this exam. :frown: I think I'm gonna get 60 UMS. Is it still possible to get an A overall having 86 average from last year? Also, I'm doing D2 as part of AS further maths, it can count towards my maths if I get a high mark in it, right?
Hey guys. You know the five marker with three parts in the modulus graph . How many mark d o you think the question about the asymotote was ?
Original post by dlc_01
I completely messed up this exam. :frown: I think I'm gonna get 60 UMS. Is it still possible to get an A overall having 86 average from last year? Also, I'm doing D2 as part of AS further maths, it can count towards my maths if I get a high mark in it, right?

Yes, they can rearrange your modules to give you the highest possible mark.
For the 'show that' modulus question [g(x)] (4 part (b), I think), were you just supposed to ignore the modulus sign? It said the root was 'positive' but that just means that x is positive - it didn't mean that 4e^2x - 25 was positive.

I did just ignore the modulus sign completely and ended up with the right thing, but I don't know that what I did was mathematically correct - was I supposed to prove that 4e^2x - 25 was positive for my value of x and therefore the modulus sign didn't affect it? It was only two marks but even if I got both of them, I'm not convinced the question was right... did anyone else think the same thing?
List of how many marks each question was worth anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
For the 'show that' modulus question [g(x)] (4 part (b), I think), were you just supposed to ignore the modulus sign? It said the root was 'positive' but that just means that x is positive - it didn't mean that 4e^2x - 25 was positive.

I did just ignore the modulus sign completely and ended up with the right thing, but I don't know that what I did was mathematically correct - was I supposed to prove that 4e^2x - 25 was positive for my value of x and therefore the modulus sign didn't affect it? It was only two marks but even if I got both of them, I'm not convinced the question was right... did anyone else think the same thing?

what you did was mathematically correct as the root would have been in the non reflected part of the graph which is 4e2x -25 . If it was in the reflected part of the graph you would have had to change it to -4e2x +25
Original post by lfcrules
Hey guys. You know the five marker with three parts in the modulus graph . How many mark d o you think the question about the asymotote was ?

One.
what you did was mathematically correct as the root would have been in the non reflected part of the graph which is 4e2x -25 . If it was in the reflected part of the graph you would have had to change it to -4e2x +25
True but that's not what the question said nor what I wrote. Part of the graph in quadrant one was reflected, and it just said x was positive. When you come up with a formula for alpha you can't know whether or not you should be using 4e^2x - 25 or 25 - 4e^2x, so surely you should form two different equations (only one of which would have a solution). Did I miss something in the question explicitly saying g(x) is positive?
For the arcsin graph i accidentally drew just a sin graph but i labelled the axis x and y correctly witht the correct restrictions, how many marks do you lose for getting the shape wrong and would i lose marks for not putting coordinates but labelling the axis

i didnt prove 4e^2x-25>0 i just ignored mod signs, though this gives you the right answer. 43(y-intercept)>21 (asymptote) and 2 (gradient of line) >0 so they intersect when 4e^2x-25>0 (the steep part).
Looks like 74/75 for me, somehow managed to mess up the double angle formula and got -1/2cosec(4y) instead, but idgaf, hopefully I'll get 98-100 UMS
Original post by cattubato
i didnt prove 4e^2x-25>0 i just ignored mod signs, though this gives you the right answer. 43(y-intercept)>21 (asymptote) and 2 (gradient of line) >0 so they intersect when 4e^2x-25>0 (the steep part).
ohhh okay I'm satisfied with that. 2x+43 > 43 since x is positive, and g(x) therefore has to be greater than 43, which it couldn't be if 4e^2x - 25 was negative (because it has a minimum value of -21).
Original post by ak33m98
Is it just me that felt really confident going into the exam but feels like they've completely messed up?

This is just how I felt... I'd done almost every past paper and I was getting 68-72 most of the time but always As and I know I do worse in exams than practises but I was feeling pretty confident about this exam. I just felt like I was getting things wrong the whole paper :frown: Hoping it was better than it seemed.
True but that's not what the question said nor what I wrote. Part of the graph in quadrant one was reflected, and it just said x was positive. When you come up with a formula for alpha you can't know whether or not you should be using 4e^2x - 25 or 25 - 4e^2x, so surely you should form two different equations (only one of which would have a solution). Did I miss something in the question explicitly saying g(x) is positive?

Does it matter because they gave you the iteraton formula you had to find so you knew what you were aiming for
Does it matter because they gave you the iteraton formula you had to find so you knew what you were aiming for
It mattered to me because I wasted 10 minutes trying to understand why it was valid to just ignore modulus signs. But I finished the whole paper in time, got the iteration formula I was supposed to and now I understand why it's valid, so no harm done.
It mattered to me because I wasted 10 minutes trying to understand why it was valid to just ignore modulus signs. But I finished the whole paper in time, got the iteration formula I was supposed to and now I understand why it's valid, so no harm done.

well done, i always just fudge things over when im not sure! :smile:))))
Original post by Michaelj99
well, it came up Looooool but you were right :biggrin: i drew arcos by accident instead of arccsin but i think i got the 2nd part right

I got lucky because i happened to revise it and it came up! did awful on the rest of the paper like but what can you do :tongue:
will i lose a mark for 4(a)(i) if i put (1/2)ln(25/4) instead of ln(5/2)?
Original post by immagooner
will i lose a mark for 4(a)(i) if i put (1/2)ln(25/4) instead of ln(5/2)?

Doubt it - it's still an exact solution, and it didn't ask for it in the form ln(a) or anything so... :smile:
Reply 1999
does anyone remember how much q3b was worth?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending