The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VMD100
Nope
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/chemical/electrode.html

This diagram is clearer
diagram.jpg
The reactions we are doing generate electrical energy, not require it.

Do we need to know anything about electrolytic cells or do we need to know both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dinasaurus
In accordance to electrode potentials, the one with the highest electrode potential is forward. The one with the more negative electrode potential has the reverse reaction, balance and add together and remove electrons.

but I- E potential is lower than Fe, so surely that means Fe3+ would react with I- and not Fe2+? cofused
Original post by itsConnor_
https://gyazo.com/49069f767bf5ea95d7e870c6a979a5e2 How do we know that 2 mol X reacts with 2 mol Cr? 1.456/1.021 = 1.43, do we just round 1.43 up to 1.5? seems a bit off :/

No, 2 moles of X reacts with 3 moles of Cr I believe. If you write out the half equations you get this ratio:

Cr3+ + 3e- --> Cr (we know it gains 3 electrons because it says chromium(III))

X --> X2+ + 2e- (X is losing mass, so it must be forming X2+ aqueous ions)

The ratio of electrons in each equation is 3 (Cr) : 2 (X)

The no. of moles of Cr is 0.028 mol, so divide that by 1.5 (3/2) to get no. of moles of X.

Then work out the Mr which is 54.6 g mol-1 and this essentially has same atomic mass as manganese. (54.9)
This is how I worked it out and it got me the right answer :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by M.Branson98
No, 2 moles of X reacts with 3 moles of Cr I believe. If you write out the half equations you get this ratio:

Cr3+ + 3e- --> Cr (we know it gains 3 electrons because it says chromium(III))

X --> X2+ + 2e- (X is losing mass, so it must be forming X2+ aqueous ions)

The ratio of electrons in each equation is 3 (Cr) : 2 (X)

The no. of moles of Cr is 0.028 mol, so divide that by 1.5 (3/2) to get no. of moles of X.

Then work out the Mr which is 54.6 g mol-1 and this essentially has same atomic mass as manganese. (54.9)
This is how I worked it out and it got me the right answer :smile:

Ohh thanks so much :smile:

(typo in my initial question, meant 2mol X with 3mol Cr) :smile:
Original post by VMD100
Nope
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/chemical/electrode.html

This diagram is clearer
diagram.jpg
The reactions we are doing generate electrical energy, not require it.

I'm confused so which one do we do?? So is cathode positive or not
Original post by BioStudentx
F325 will be impossible. I'm calling it. F324 was freakishly easy, and they can't make F325 easy again or too many people will get an A*. Prepare your anus lads and lasses.

too many people can't get A*'s there's always a set amount who do get A*s, it doesn't increase just because a paper is easy. It doesn't work that way
but I- E potential is lower than Fe, so surely that means Fe3+ would react with I- and not Fe2+? cofused

Oh you meant equation 2 and the reaction with Fe3+ going forward is higher so it goes forward, as 0.77 > 0.54.

The 2I- forward equation is lower as 0.54<0.77, so you have to reverse it so 2I- reacts with Fe3+
Original post by tcameron

We are studying the one on the left, As I said CPR.
Galvanic cells
The book states about using transition metals to coat another creating an alloy- basically to galvanize something.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Oh you meant equation 2 and the reaction with Fe3+ going forward is higher so it goes forward, as 0.77 > 0.54.

The 2I- forward equation is lower as 0.54<0.77, so you have to reverse it so 2I- reacts with Fe3+

omg nvm i read the mark scheme wrong! and it catalyses the reaction because regenerated in reaction 2, got it :smile: thx
too many people can't get A*'s there's always a set amount who do get A*s, it doesn't increase just because a paper is easy. It doesn't work that way

Uhmm, I have nothing to say other than you're severely misinformed? Not sure who told you this.

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm

doesn't look constant to me? That definitely isn't a set amount...
F325 will be impossible. I'm calling it. F324 was freakishly easy, and they can't make F325 easy again or too many people will get an A*. Prepare your anus lads and lasses.

i just hope there are no long word questions, only calculations and equations
Ohh thanks so much :smile:

(typo in my initial question, meant 2mol X with 3mol Cr) :smile:

I didn't realise you are hoping to study chemistry at uni and you made Bath your insurance! I'm hoping to study chemistry also, but I've made Bath my firm!
Original post by lai812matthew
i just hope there are no long word questions, only calculations and equations

100 marks of pure calculations and equations is wishful thinking dont you think? haha.
Original post by M.Branson98
I didn't realise you are hoping to study chemistry at uni and you made Bath your insurance! I'm hoping to study chemistry also, but I've made Bath my firm!

yep, i really liked Bath :smile: need A*AA for my firm so Bath is quite likely tbh
Uhmm, I have nothing to say other than you're severely misinformed? Not sure who told you this.

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm

doesn't look constant to me? That definitely isn't a set amount...

what I mean is, it is within a range which is kept fairly constant

Think of a Carbocation from the mechanisms we did in F324, CH3+ for example, Carbocation we mark with a + in a circle. So the cation is the postive terminal
yep, i really liked Bath :smile: need A*AA for my firm so Bath is quite likely tbh

Yeah Bath is so nice! I really hope I meet my offer, but it depend on how chem goes tomorrow and bio on Thursday. Nottingham is my insurance (AAB) which I also really like, but the city is a lot worse than Bath.

Good luck on getting your A*AA :smile:
what I mean is, it is within a range which is kept fairly constant

To keep that range constant they'll make this one harder. Trust me.
can anyone link me titration questions, I want to try some but i cant find solely those questions?
100 marks of pure calculations and equations is wishful thinking dont you think? haha.

yeah but i really hate word questions, all of my mistakes in f324 are from there. if they are not word questions that i'm familiar with (like buffer, difference in enthalpy of hydration/ lattice enthalpy), i would be completely lost.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending