The Student Room Group

Nasty lecturer

The head of my course is a nasty bit of work and I don't say that just because we don't get along but I noticed with my class he picked 3 teachers pets and a few people hes ok with and treats others with varying levels of disregard.

I was speaking to people in other classes and years (I am only doing ND I even asked people doing degrees in same field) the verdict was very clear, if I mentioed one lecturer was bad they would say "is that X" and I would confirm and they would tell me the same things I already know, he picks a people who he treats like can do no wrong and treats the rest of the class badly.

Hes also a racist, I am Scottish and theres a few other Scots on the course and he says nasty things about Scotland, the education system, calling all Scots lazy etc he also doesn't like people from poor backgrounds again calling them lazy (maybe as I found out is because hes a self made millionaire!)

To get back to me again and what others have said the same stories the ones he dislikes he gives bad grades to no matter how much work you do or good grades you get from other lecturers.

I had 1000 words to write and design 5 posters for a mock advertising campaign, I spent at least a day on each picture (as in wake up 8am, and bar a few breaks was still doing them around 9pm at night) when I handed them in I was confident I would get a good grade.

He gave me 42% (needed 40 to pass) and comments were that "it is obvious that no thought or effort was put into the work and it was done a hour before it was due in"

A few weeks later we did a group presentation where we get marked as a group, despite me being the main person in the group (so did the most work) I was given the same mark as before 42% whilst the rest of the group got 96% and told it was excellent (lecturer claimed I did nothing and let them do all the work)

Other things are mad like we had messages on notice board about local tv station wanting people for audience and may even be asked questions on the show and I mentioned that I did some part time work in a tv station the previous year (its a Media course) as well as radio work and only lived 20 minutes walk from the station and he refused to let me sign up for it yet let people who lived 20 miles away go to it(his teachers pets to be precise and no one else from the course)

And just after Christmas had a bad chest infection where I couldn't leave the house for 2 weeks, doctor had to even come to my house and I was given a sick note and even told though the infection had passed to not go back to college for another 2 weeks as I was still fragile and can make myself worse.

When I handed it in to admin the next day he called me in and accused me of forging a doctors note! then told me he had witnessed me working in local supermarket and despite me denying this (actually I am desperate for work as only have £10 a week after rent paid to cover expenses and food) he told me I was lying even more.

And just recently now my grandfather died and my doctor prescribed me some medication for stress and I was honest with the lecturer to be outright told to grow up and again accused of lying.

How can someone like that not only be employed but head of section!

Sorry little vent but also wanted to know what to do?
This is absolutely not right and unfair. Just reading what you've written is making me angry! I'm so sorry you have to put up with such a f****wad of a teacher. He is essentially sabotaging you and other students he treats in this manner, by giving you bad grades and poor feedback. Is your final grade calculate from your assignments throughout the year, or is it exam-based?

There is a History teacher at my school who is nowhere near as bad as your lecturer in terms of bullying, but he's absolutely useless; he never marks work that's given in, so his students don't know if they've done well or not. He gave up on teaching the last section of the course and left his class to go over it themselves, bearing in mind his class were already two weeks behind the other classes. All his A-Level students have said that if they get bad grades, they're going to make a complaint against him. The only problem is that he's Head of the department and a Head of House.

I would say talk to everyone whom he treats in this manner and get their stories down, and then talk to his superior, whoever that might be (are there Deans in UK universities?). With teachers like him, especially when they're Head of the department, you have to be careful. Teachers at my school have thrown fits before because students have gone to complain to other teachers about them. But at least this way, you'll have corroborating evidence that he's an awful teacher and an overall horrible person.

In the meantime, try not to kill him :wink:
hand in crap work get a crap grade
Original post by Anonymous
The head of my course is a nasty bit of work and I don't say that just because we don't get along but I noticed with my class he picked 3 teachers pets and a few people hes ok with and treats others with varying levels of disregard.

I was speaking to people in other classes and years (I am only doing ND I even asked people doing degrees in same field) the verdict was very clear, if I mentioed one lecturer was bad they would say "is that X" and I would confirm and they would tell me the same things I already know, he picks a people who he treats like can do no wrong and treats the rest of the class badly.

Hes also a racist, I am Scottish and theres a few other Scots on the course and he says nasty things about Scotland, the education system, calling all Scots lazy etc he also doesn't like people from poor backgrounds again calling them lazy (maybe as I found out is because hes a self made millionaire!)

To get back to me again and what others have said the same stories the ones he dislikes he gives bad grades to no matter how much work you do or good grades you get from other lecturers.

I had 1000 words to write and design 5 posters for a mock advertising campaign, I spent at least a day on each picture (as in wake up 8am, and bar a few breaks was still doing them around 9pm at night) when I handed them in I was confident I would get a good grade.

He gave me 42% (needed 40 to pass) and comments were that "it is obvious that no thought or effort was put into the work and it was done a hour before it was due in"

A few weeks later we did a group presentation where we get marked as a group, despite me being the main person in the group (so did the most work) I was given the same mark as before 42% whilst the rest of the group got 96% and told it was excellent (lecturer claimed I did nothing and let them do all the work)

Other things are mad like we had messages on notice board about local tv station wanting people for audience and may even be asked questions on the show and I mentioned that I did some part time work in a tv station the previous year (its a Media course) as well as radio work and only lived 20 minutes walk from the station and he refused to let me sign up for it yet let people who lived 20 miles away go to it(his teachers pets to be precise and no one else from the course)

And just after Christmas had a bad chest infection where I couldn't leave the house for 2 weeks, doctor had to even come to my house and I was given a sick note and even told though the infection had passed to not go back to college for another 2 weeks as I was still fragile and can make myself worse.

When I handed it in to admin the next day he called me in and accused me of forging a doctors note! then told me he had witnessed me working in local supermarket and despite me denying this (actually I am desperate for work as only have £10 a week after rent paid to cover expenses and food) he told me I was lying even more.

And just recently now my grandfather died and my doctor prescribed me some medication for stress and I was honest with the lecturer to be outright told to grow up and again accused of lying.

How can someone like that not only be employed but head of section!

Sorry little vent but also wanted to know what to do?

First of all watch these 2 films on these free film websites. click o those links on:
www.Putlocker.com
www.Showbox.com
www.123movies.to

Whiplash ( about a man at a music university who gets bullied by the teacher but in the end he stands up to him )

A Girl Like Her ( about a girl bullied at school who's friend tells her to wear a hidden camera and secretly record the bullying )

These 2 films will help you to decide to stand up to the jerk or secretly record him on your smart phone

Then you should record him on your mobile phone every day before you walk into class room even if you cant see him on the mobile at least record his voice so you can use it as evidence against him and try to keep a copy because if you hand it in to the college headmaster they could erase it and pretend they lost it or even better upload it on to You Tube so everyone can see how bad he is then he will be disciplined, hopefully sacked for any rascist, homophobic comments.
You can upload it on You Tube anonymously if your worried you might get into trouble for it like being kicked out of college and you don't need to upload a video just the words he's using. You can try to just get a picture of him to put up
But you do need to record it every day or he will continue to bully you and everybody else
If you don't want to do it ask someone else to who hates him too.

He sounds evil but you should have complained to headmaster about stopping you from going to the radio staion because you really wanted to go but to get back at him contact that radio station and ask them for work experience then if they give it to you you can rub it in his face. You can look up those shops on google that sell tiny camera recording equipment like spy cameras but they will be expensive so your mobile phone is just as good to use and cheaper.
You should not let him get away with it as i wish i had recorded bully managers in previous jobs i had. But if it ever happened again at least i know what to do now.

I have had lots of different jobs and I used to work in the Lancaster London hotel near Hyde Park and the directing manager was a bully to certain people but not to me because i always tried to keep away from him by standing at the back of the line
i worked as a food and beverage assistant which is basically a waitress but when all the waiters and waitresses were not serving customers in the dining room we had to all stand in the hot kitchen with our hands behind our back in 5 different lines so i would be in line 2 but i never stood in the front only the back row so he can't single me out. We were never allowed to talk to each other and if we did he would shout at people and humiliate them or tell one young man if he talks one more time he will send him home without pay. So we could not make friends or get to know each other and had to be silent every day or evening. So it wasnt any fun. They even had a sign suspended in the air on a chain that said SILENT in neon green or red. One time the team leader was telling our group in our line what to do then he shouted at her and told her not to talk. The head chef was angry someone put a dish cloth on top of the table and he threw it in a man's face who was standing next to me but it almost hit me too. I was tempted to throw it back at the chef but i did'nt have the balls to because i was new at the job and had only been there 2 weeks. It would have been a fun job if there were no bullies but the directing manager was the worst but some other managers were bullies too.

Everyone there needed the job so could'nt leave and one man said he can't get any other job or in a supermarket because he has no qualfications but i told him he does'nt need qualifications for most jobs like supermarket, retail, etc because he did not know that. I have done a few different jobs so i can apply for almost anything but i felt sorry for everyone else because they could not leave but i knew i did'nt have to stay. I only stayed for 6 months but i only went in once or twice a month because i did not need to rely on the money like everybody else. But the first day i started one girl told me to leave and not come back because it was a horrible job and she said she stood up to the manager and argued back with him and after that she said he never tried to bully her again so she said i must stand up to him too. I just wish i had secretly recorded it on my mobile and uploaded it on to You Tube and also i wish i'd done the same with the bully female manager at Asda warehouse but i did'nt have a smart phone then. I only had an old fashioned phone that does'nt record anything.

Also at Asda a male employee told me he was secretly recording his male manager on a pen that can record people like a spy camera but he lost it so he was really angry he lost it as he was going to show it to the senior manager or the trade union.
For the first 6 months at Asda they let us talk to each other but after that they put signs up telling us not to talk to each other and not to help each other if someone cat find customer orders and they put signs up everywhere which said Silent but this was only Asda warehouse in Enfield not the shop.

So if anyone is being bullied they should always secretly record it.
Record all the evidence then report him. Tell other people to do the same.
If he tries to take your phone off you don't let him take it. It's better to get into trouble and be sent to the principle's office then you can explain and if they do nothing when you do complain just say you will contact all the media about it then they will be scared to get any bad publicity.
Reply 4
What I find a tiny bit funny is I am used to him gritting his teeth when I speak to him, I am totally serious he does that!

It feels like being back at primary school as he kept threatening to phone my parents

There was another thing about him I disliked, on day 1 of Freshers he told us that on the Thursday we were going on a course related trip and it would cost £40, I told him for one I didn't have my bursary in yet and even if I did it only left me £10 a week after paying rent for him to get angry with me saying it was a course requirment and I could fail the entire year as it was a requirement for one of the modules.

His "pets" he treats like little darlings, its like watching a comedy on tv they are quite up themselves and quick to complain about others themselves (no wonder he likes them) he acts like they can do no wrong and gives them first choice at things, best work placement opportunities even lets them go early sometimes.

Original post by govandpolitics
hand in crap work get a crap grade

I know you are trolling but you mean the work that was good enough at previous college I was getting distinctions? That every other lecturer in the college I am in now gives me either merits or distinctions? That I wrote articles for local newspaper in the past that were printed word for word?

Yet everything I hand to this lecturer is never good enough? Nor is the work others do even ones in final year of degree?
I am so sorry to hear what you have gone through. :frown: This is just wrong on so many levels! I have complained about my course leader before but this is way worse!I would advice you to complain because otherwise things do not seem to change.Here is some advice, you may have already known it.1. Every university should have a Complaint Procedure document on their website. Make sure you read through it and understand the process as well as the system. University complaint procedure is very systematic so I am afraid you will have to play by the rules. Because during investigations the staff could always hold the system against you.2. For examples involving yourself, make sure you have recorded evidences (e.g. written notes, audio record etc.). If you are unable to present solid recorded evidences, have someone who is willing to back you up as a witness.For some reason I did not have either, unfortunately, and the lecture I complained about became the victim while my complaint became "serious personal attack".3. For examples involving other people, make sure they have reported their issues to a course rep or a member of staff. If they are unwilling to do that, you will have to have them to present and back you up at the investigation.4. Be wary of ramification - too many people have had this. The lecturer I complained about showed my complaint to the rest of the tutors on my course with my name on it. It was absolutely sick since this is not part of the regulation, + other tutors and I love each other. The good thing is that you can appeal and hopefully have a fair mark .5. In most cases, the tutors back each other up. Be aware that the tutor who will be investigating your complaint may stand on your lecturer's side. So again - you need proper solid grounds to make any allegations.Just be careful. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending