The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3 June 2016 - Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

anyone remember the mark allocations?
I think I lost about 8 marks all in all. Q3c - 2 marks - (finding the min value), Q8b - 2 marks - as one of my solutions was not in the range and Q9c - 4 marks - didn't know what I was doing there haha. I get it now, however. Hopefully 67 marks gives me an A*!
Original post by jbaten
Your welcome how did everyone find the exam today question 8 was particularly troublesome but the rest of the questions weren't too bad.

Thank you so much,

does anyone know if for 8. (b) did you have to use the quadratic formula because what i ended up with couldnt factorise

Thanks
guys am I counting this right? somebody please help me :frown:
we need 480 ums for an A, I has 251 from AS , that means I need 229 across C3 C4 M1 ?
I think I got 55 marks in M1 , same in C3 , does that mean I need 89 ums in C4 to still get an A??? how many marks approximately is 89 ums? can I still get the A?
PLEASE help
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
I'd give you full marks if it was up to me. I'll be honest, though, you might not get very many marks.

The second part will have an alternate method in the mark scheme for differentiating the fraction rather than the simplified quadratic. However, if you didn't do this algebraically, 'cheating' by subbing it into your calculator, you might not get any marks for it. The examiner might be a bit mystified as to how you got the normal equation, but you should get method marks for the last bit of part (b). As for the first part, it depends exactly what you wrote - you didn't cross anything out, and the paper is marked from 0 upwards rather than from 75 and penalising mistakes, so you have a good chance of getting method marks if anything you wrote resembled long division or factorisation by sight. You did get the correct answer, and because factorisation by sight is a valid method (and there are some genius mathematicians who could do the full question in their heads), it is possible that the correct answer will score the A marks without working.

Part (a) was worth 4 marks and part (b) was worth 5 marks. I would say your answer could get anywhere between 2 and 6, depending on how the mark scheme is written and which examiner marks your paper. I know that's already probably an unhelpfully large range, and on top of that I have to add the disclaimer that I'm not an examiner or even a teacher, but please don't stress out about it because there's nothing you can do to change it now.

I think I should get full for the second part... This is because I wrote the equation with A and B in again, and then differentiated this properly- so even though I didn't get A and B in a legitimate manner, surely they must forget about that (since it was part A) and then give me all of the marks for part b (provided I did everything else right)?
For part a I think I'll get 1 or 2 marks for trying to show a method. hoping for a chilled examiner who gives me full though, haha, but very unlikely.
Thanks!
Reply 445
Complete worked solutions attached
Original post by veldt127

New Arsey in the making
Reply 447
Original post by jshep000
New Arsey in the making

I don't think I can accept that title :biggrin:
Reply 448

Q 3C apart from 86 I also got 327
did the question ask for domain of theta
I believe 66-67 will be an A* and 60-62 an A

Paper on a whole was easier than last year and similar style to June14R paper
Thanks, looks like it will have to be ln(5/2) not 0.5ln(25/4).

Doing worked solutions for 5-8 now

hurry lol
It said between -pi and pi
It was the differential of sin^2(2x) I believe.

And I believe that I am Wrong. 😩
I don't think I can accept that title :biggrin:

you forgot question 3c
Reply 454
Original post by Mesosleepy
you forgot question 3c

Knew I'd miss something!
See attached image
IMG_2703.jpg
Original post by Patrick Gekko
I think I should get full for the second part... This is because I wrote the equation with A and B in again, and then differentiated this properly- so even though I didn't get A and B in a legitimate manner, surely they must forget about that (since it was part A) and then give me all of the marks for part b (provided I did everything else right)?
For part a I think I'll get 1 or 2 marks for trying to show a method. hoping for a chilled examiner who gives me full though, haha, but very unlikely.
Thanks!
Wait. Your first post made it sound as if you differentiated the original fraction (and subbed in 3) with your calculator but didn't write any working out down.

If you differentiated the original fraction manually (quotient rule with a quartic - nasty but possible), full marks in part (b) for definite.
If you differentiated the quadratic but with A and B in place of the values 3 and 4, probably but not necessarily full marks for part (b). If you differentiate, A goes away but B does not, and you can't just retroactively work out its value from your calculator and get full credit. You might lose up to 3 marks.
If you differentiated the quadratic with 3 and 4 (regardless of where you obtained the numbers), or later replaced A and B with 3 and 4 and differentiated again, probably full marks in part (b).
guys am I counting this right? somebody please help me we need 480 ums for an A, I has 251 from AS , that means I need 229 across C3 C4 M1 ? I think I got 55 marks in M1 , same in C3 , does that mean I need 89 ums in C4 to still get an A??? how many marks approximately is 89 ums? can I still get the A? PLEASE help
am reposting until somebody helps me :frown:
Reply 457
Original post by yzhu
Q 3C apart from 86 I also got 327
did the question ask for domain of theta

It asked for the smallest positive value; you only needed 86.1
Original post by sandybeach1996
guys am I counting this right? somebody please help me we need 480 ums for an A, I has 251 from AS , that means I need 229 across C3 C4 M1 ? I think I got 55 marks in M1 , same in C3 , does that mean I need 89 ums in C4 to still get an A??? how many marks approximately is 89 ums? can I still get the A? PLEASE help

How the should we know? Grade boundaries haven't been released yet. Go and look at past papers of similar difficulties to this one then look at the raw mark to ums convertor on EDEXCELs website.

Or look at a random guess someone has made for grade boundaries

Or draw your own conclusions from the C3 exam poll. The physics one had a nice bell curve but for C3 a significant amount found it hard or very hard

It asked for the smallest positive value; you only needed 86.1
I don't understand why it isn't just your smallest value from the previous question?
Original post by sandybeach1996

89 UMS is around 67 ish for C4 maybe? (rough estimate)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending