The Student Room Group

WJEC IT3 A2 ICT Exam - Wednesday 22nd June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nath98
Pen and Paper for me. I printed off all the past papers and mark schemes then I pretty much divided up all the past paper question answers into topic by topic and wrote it all down in notes. Now I'm just practising questions from each topic as best I can. We just have to pray they don't introduce any new question types.

I have 90%+ in every module so far (thank God for the coursework), so I'd really like to do well in this and get A* but I've a feeling they will introduce new questions and I'll miss out.

A network manager uses remote management when managing the network.Describe six tasks that the network manager could do using remote management.[6]

One mark for each of any five points: Check to see right number of licences. Setting regular times for virus scanning/ check virus scanning has been done Check to see no unauthorised software loaded on machines. Update software/rebuild software on stations / re-setup stations / re-install software Log off users who have forgotten to do so. Send instant messages. Guide users through problems. Take control of stations. Check on hardware to see what needs upgrading / updating Check on components to see if any failing. Shut down stations. Clear printer queues (remotely) at stations

to get the marks do we need to elaborate on each fact? or is listening like theyve done in the mark scheme good enough? thanks if so, please can you elaborate a bit on some of the factS? thanks
Original post by ictmaster
A network manager uses remote management when managing the network.Describe six tasks that the network manager could do using remote management.[6]

One mark for each of any five points: Check to see right number of licences. Setting regular times for virus scanning/ check virus scanning has been done Check to see no unauthorised software loaded on machines. Update software/rebuild software on stations / re-setup stations / re-install software Log off users who have forgotten to do so. Send instant messages. Guide users through problems. Take control of stations. Check on hardware to see what needs upgrading / updating Check on components to see if any failing. Shut down stations. Clear printer queues (remotely) at stations

to get the marks do we need to elaborate on each fact? or is listening like theyve done in the mark scheme good enough? thanks if so, please can you elaborate a bit on some of the factS? thanks

how much time will you be spending on seciton A and how much on section B?
Original post by ictmaster

I think you would just need to consider written communication like you will have to on each answer so therefore writing it like this:

The network manager can manage the network with remote management. The use of this software allows him to streamline his job to a more manageable level. Allowing the network manager to take control of stations and guide the students and staffs through problems in steps. This centralized capability also allows him to check the number of licences which is legally allowed to be installed, re-install software, re-setup stations and update software such as an anti-virus program. If there is culmination of traffic for a certain printer in one of the school’s site, then he can clear the printer queues. He can also shut down a student who has forgotten to logoff or has been inactive for an extended time, and can centrally set regular times for virus scanning on the whole system, thus saving time than doing it manually.
Does anybody have any predictions for this exam ?!
Original post by jessicajones1998
I think you would just need to consider written communication like you will have to on each answer so therefore writing it like this:

The network manager can manage the network with remote management. The use of this software allows him to streamline his job to a more manageable level. Allowing the network manager to take control of stations and guide the students and staffs through problems in steps. This centralized capability also allows him to check the number of licences which is legally allowed to be installed, re-install software, re-setup stations and update software such as an anti-virus program. If there is culmination of traffic for a certain printer in one of the school’s site, then he can clear the printer queues. He can also shut down a student who has forgotten to logoff or has been inactive for an extended time, and can centrally set regular times for virus scanning on the whole system, thus saving time than doing it manually.

thank you for your reply
How'd everyone feeling about the exam?! Praying for no new questions :smile:
Hey, could somebody please give me a coherent answer to this question?? We didn't cover it in my class!

Describe three different examples which illustrate the difference between legal and moral issues with respect to codes of conduct. [6]
Original post by RJWJ-95
I assume you mean 96% in the coursework, as it's out of 80.
An A is worth 64/80, so you've got that A, which we'll take as being 64/80. A D in the exam is worth 60 marks, and a C grade in A2 ICT is worth 120 marks, so 64 + 60 = 124, giving you a C. A D grade is worth 100 marks. So getting an E in the exam (48 marks + 64 marks = 112) will get you a D.

*EDIT* This is in UMS marks! I will tell you raw marks for the exam now (going by 2015):
A = 78/90
B = 70/90
C = 62/90
D = 54/90
E = 49/90

This is a lot higher than the boundaries in AS. And also quite a bit higher than what was in earlier papers, such as 2012 where a C was 55, not 62.
Hope this helps (:

I'm talking about my A2 coursework IT4 in which I got 96 out of 100. AS is worth 80 not A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by ClockworkPaws
Hey, could somebody please give me a coherent answer to this question?? We didn't cover it in my class!

Describe three different examples which illustrate the difference between legal and moral issues with respect to codes of conduct. [6]

Would love an answer to this too, it's like the worst question and the mark scheme is no help at all as to what to write :/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Original post by Nath98
Would love an answer to this too, it's like the worst question and the mark scheme is no help at all as to what to write :/

1. Disinformation - Not fully informing potential customers or clients of all available facts concerning products or service
Legal requirements = Properties Act
Ethics = a property developer not telling his client the property has subsidence problems or a violent history

2. Privacy - Informing data subjects of their legal rights and processes for complying with those rights.
Legal requirements = Data Protection Act
Ethics = an employee using company data to create mailing lists for his own private home business

3. Intellectual property rights Ownership rights to data.
If you put a joke on the Internet do you own it?
If you see a joke on the Internet can you sell that joke to a professional comedian?
If you scan in the text of the book ‘The Da Vinci Code’ and put it on the Internet for all to be freely read; are you breaking the law?
Can you sue someone who sells you an essay which is full of factual errors?

From what you can learn from the mark scheme, you have to describe three different examples in relation to legal/moral issues and how they differ, as shown above. This question is a complete b***h, so if it comes up just try your best, as it has only come up once before which was the 2014 paper! Hope this helps!
Original post by OwenSallows
1. Disinformation - Not fully informing potential customers or clients of all available facts concerning products or service
Legal requirements = Properties Act
Ethics = a property developer not telling his client the property has subsidence problems or a violent history

2. Privacy - Informing data subjects of their legal rights and processes for complying with those rights.
Legal requirements = Data Protection Act
Ethics = an employee using company data to create mailing lists for his own private home business

3. Intellectual property rights Ownership rights to data.
If you put a joke on the Internet do you own it?
If you see a joke on the Internet can you sell that joke to a professional comedian?
If you scan in the text of the book ‘The Da Vinci Code’ and put it on the Internet for all to be freely read; are you breaking the law?
Can you sue someone who sells you an essay which is full of factual errors?

From what you can learn from the mark scheme, you have to describe three different examples in relation to legal/moral issues and how they differ, as shown above. This question is a complete b***h, so if it comes up just try your best, as it has only come up once before which was the 2014 paper! Hope this helps!

Thank you I suppose ^^" I'm just confused bout how to actually word it in essay-form. I'm also confused considering how it asks for a legal and moral issue and yet, for the possible answers 'data rich and poor societies' and 'work force effect' they dont give specific clear moral and legal examples.

I just did the 2014 June paper and got around 72-78 (i didnt save my score) so hopefully I'll get the A I'm after - the 2014 paper was AWFUL!
Thank you I suppose ^^" I'm just confused bout how to actually word it in essay-form. I'm also confused considering how it asks for a legal and moral issue and yet, for the possible answers 'data rich and poor societies' and 'work force effect' they dont give specific clear moral and legal examples.

I just did the 2014 June paper and got around 72-78 (i didnt save my score) so hopefully I'll get the A I'm after - the 2014 paper was AWFUL!

I really doubt this question will come up so I would try not to worry about it, but I would split into 3 paragraphs and try and BS your way through it, as you should get a few marks for it anyway, and as long as you know the rest of the course dropping a few marks on this isn't too bad, how did you do on your coursework this year and last year?
I really doubt this question will come up so I would try not to worry about it, but I would split into 3 paragraphs and try and BS your way through it, as you should get a few marks for it anyway, and as long as you know the rest of the course dropping a few marks on this isn't too bad, how did you do on your coursework this year and last year?

If i does come up I'll scowl and think of you saying that :biggrin: I'm also struggling with security policies, code of conduct and disaster recovery -they all seem to blend into one for me, especially security policies! I'm praying it's all gone in by tomorrow morning.
I got full marks in the coursework last year and 99/100 in it this year (I should have 100 but my teacher actively refused claiming 'nobody ever gets 100' :/)
If i does come up I'll scowl and think of you saying that :biggrin: I'm also struggling with security policies, code of conduct and disaster recovery -they all seem to blend into one for me, especially security policies! I'm praying it's all gone in by tomorrow morning.
I got full marks in the coursework last year and 99/100 in it this year (I should have 100 but my teacher actively refused claiming 'nobody ever gets 100' :/)

Haha if it does we're all screwed anyways :h: Code of conduct you kinda just need to know what they include, disaster recovery just think about logically, think what you would need in place if a natural disaster was going to happen, for example. Ah nice one, yeah i'm the same, I should have been given 100 but the UMS is the same anyways, although 2 people in my class were given 100! To get an A, dependant on what you got last year, you would only need to get a C if you got around a C last year! I think anyway aha

Had the same problem with my teacher. After him telling me I've got 100/100 the snake turns around and goes it's not 100 not but 97, had to argue with him for a good week to give me feedback in areas I can improve before he gave me a final mark of 98.
Haha if it does we're all screwed anyways :h: Code of conduct you kinda just need to know what they include, disaster recovery just think about logically, think what you would need in place if a natural disaster was going to happen, for example. Ah nice one, yeah i'm the same, I should have been given 100 but the UMS is the same anyways, although 2 people in my class were given 100! To get an A, dependant on what you got last year, you would only need to get a C if you got around a C last year! I think anyway aha

I apparently only need 65 marks to get an A overall and 33 to get a B according to the spreadsheet calculation my teacher made. I'm desperate for the A as I doubt I'll get that grade in my other subjects [Art and Eng Lit - true horrors x.x].

I think it's confusing for me because they always word questions in a way that's confusing, for example 'Describe in detail 3 of the factors the company should consider when deciding how much to spend to control and minimise the risk to data' - it took me a while to figure out you can't talk about cost.
They're simple as anything but the wording always distracts me!
Original post by fisher96
Had the same problem with my teacher. After him telling me I've got 100/100 the snake turns around and goes it's not 100 not but 97, had to argue with him for a good week to give me feedback in areas I can improve before he gave me a final mark of 98.

Aww that's bull >< Sorry to hear that. My teacher knew from last year that I was desperate to do anything for full marks (I stayed behind after school every day for a week working relentlessly until I got full marks). Even so, and even after I DID definitely respond to her feedback and include EVERYTHING she asked of me, I still got 99. Pretty irritating considering all the work I put in specifically to get 100.
I apparently only need 65 marks to get an A overall and 33 to get a B according to the spreadsheet calculation my teacher made. I'm desperate for the A as I doubt I'll get that grade in my other subjects [Art and Eng Lit - true horrors x.x].

I think it's confusing for me because they always word questions in a way that's confusing, for example 'Describe in detail 3 of the factors the company should consider when deciding how much to spend to control and minimise the risk to data' - it took me a while to figure out you can't talk about cost.
They're simple as anything but the wording always distracts me!

I completely get what you mean, this is why WJEC are scrapping this course, don't understand why our schools do this exam board, there are so many other, better ones :|
Reply 38
Aww that's bull >< Sorry to hear that. My teacher knew from last year that I was desperate to do anything for full marks (I stayed behind after school every day for a week working relentlessly until I got full marks). Even so, and even after I DID definitely respond to her feedback and include EVERYTHING she asked of me, I still got 99. Pretty irritating considering all the work I put in specifically to get 100.

It's pretty crazy hearing people saying they have such high coursework marks. At my college they never gave anyone higher than 96 to be safe that they weren't being too generous with the marking. Really sucks because I worked so hard on my coursework and got 96 for it and we weren't even allowed to fix it to try and get 100.

Anyway, fingers crossed for tomorrow. What did everyone get in last year's AS exam? Luckily I got an A in that so would really like to do well in this one but ughh I feel like nothing is sticking anymore 🙄

Original post by Nath98
It's pretty crazy hearing people saying they have such high coursework marks. At my college they never gave anyone higher than 96 to be safe that they weren't being too generous with the marking. Really sucks because I worked so hard on my coursework and got 96 for it and we weren't even allowed to fix it to try and get 100.

Anyway, fingers crossed for tomorrow. What did everyone get in last year's AS exam? Luckily I got an A in that so would really like to do well in this one but ughh I feel like nothing is sticking anymore 🙄

We were always so confused by our teacher as he would mark it and say one thing and then he would say another! Only three of us got an A* in the coursework, but it is understandable that they wouldn't want to put it too high. I had to resist the AS class, along with the rest of my class as our teacher, who luckily isn't teaching us anymore, didn't teach us anything! So hoping for much better this year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending