The Student Room Group

How to read a novel without getting bored?

Hey Guys, English Lit students I especially need your help lol
I'm in a crisis. I study English Literature and just finished taking my exams but now I'm thinking maybe English Language would have been better for me and me wanting to do English at uni is definitely a no no. I can't read. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration but recreational reading is an activity I can't fathom. How do you do this? I want to change, reading novels upon novels without feeling the need to cry. It seems that I can only read facebook posts, TSR threads and dailymail's newpaper articles :/
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

OP, I study Lit but I don't read recreationally.

You don't need to enjoy reading to do Lit. Just force yourself to read the books you've been given just as you would force yourself to do your homework.
OP I disagree with the comment above - As a Literature student you need to appreciate what you read and read widely. Sometimes, when a teacher asks you to read a novel it can feel daunting. You could try and break a novel into sections and aim to read a chapter or a few pages every day. In order to find books you enjoy, either pick books on topics that your interested in or books from the 'easy' genres (YA, chicklit) to ease yourself into reading.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
OP, I study Lit but I don't read recreationally.

You don't need to enjoy reading to do Lit. Just force yourself to read the books you've been given just as you would force yourself to do your homework.

What a ridiculous comment.
I
Original post by Cherry82
Hey Guys, English Lit students I especially need your help lol
I'm in a crisis. I study English Literature and just finished taking my exams but now I'm thinking maybe English Language would have been better for me and me wanting to do English at uni is definitely a no no. I can't read. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration but recreational reading is an activity I can't fathom. How do you do this? I want to change, reading novels upon novels without feeling the need to cry. It seems that I can only read facebook posts, TSR threads and dailymail's newpaper articles :/

As the a previous member said, you need to be able to appreciate literature and if you can't do this or find it a tedious thing to do, then maybe Literature isn't for you. And if you don't read novels, plays and poetry and whatnot as a hobby then I really think you shouldn't be studying something you don't have an interest for.

However, it definitely sounds like you are suited for English Language as you like reading things that are for a particular audience and focused on a genre. However, the good thing is that to study English Language at uni, you don't necessarily need an A-level in Language. They usually want an A-level in English Literature or Language and Literature (the combined A-level English).

The only thing I would recommend you doing is seeing if you can pick up AS English Language when you go back to your school/college and explain your situation.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
What a ridiculous comment.

How is it? I hate reading, I find it dull, never do it recreationally, but I'm confident I've got an A in my AS.

Who says you need to be a bookworm to take Lit?
IAs the a previous member said, you need to be able to appreciate literature and if you can't do this or find it a tedious thing to do, then maybe Literature isn't for you. And if you don't read novels, plays and poetry and whatnot as a hobby then I really think you shouldn't be studying something you don't have an interest for.

Absolute nonsense.

I hate books. So what? It means nothing for Lit. The only thing you have to like to do Lit is challenging yourself to make perceptive analyses.

That's it.

You don't have to love literature at all, not at all. I certainly don't.

Most of the people in my class who are the biggest nerdy bookworms are the ones that are doing terribly. Love of literature is not something you are assessed on.
Reply 8
I

As the a previous member said, you need to be able to appreciate literature and if you can't do this or find it a tedious thing to do, then maybe Literature isn't for you. And if you don't read novels, plays and poetry and whatnot as a hobby then I really think you shouldn't be studying something you don't have an interest for.

However, it definitely sounds like you are suited for English Language as you like reading things that are for a particular audience and focused on a genre. However, the good thing is that to study English Language at uni, you don't necessarily need an A-level in Language. They usually want an A-level in English Literature or Language and Literature (the combined A-level English).

The only thing I would recommend you doing is seeing if you can pick up AS English Language when you go back to your school/college and explain your situation.

But I would like to learn how to appreciate and love literature. I am looking for something to change my perspective on it. I enjoy reading poetry and even plays (however with plays I'd prefer to physically act them out) but I'm far more interested in creative pieces/writing and movies. I think it's because I'm more of a visual person and to read, you'll often have to use your own imagination to create a scene in your mind using the information given to you by the writer whereas with movies (which I love) it's there with sound, visuals, features that are sensuous- it can even be displayed in 3D, 4D, black or white or in colour. That I love. I think my problem is that, I often find myself not too engaged with the piece I am reading therefore becoming bored easily. Unlike with a film, I could go on hours upon hours...binging on movies and feeling engaged emotionally...mentally (even if the movie is not of my favourite genre). I see English Literature as a challenge but I'm trying to change my perspective on it. Maybe I should try reading novels that interests me since I've mainly read our set texts for the course. I have a desire to fall in love with literature, maybe one day I will :smile:
Original post by Cherry82
But I would like to learn how to appreciate and love literature. I am looking for something to change my perspective on it. I enjoy reading poetry and even plays (however with plays I'd prefer to physically act them out) but I'm far more interested in creative pieces/writing and movies. I think it's because I'm more of a visual person and to read, you'll often have to use your own imagination to create a scene in your mind using the information given to you by the writer whereas with movies (which I love) it's there with sound, visuals, features that are sensuous- it can even be displayed in 3D, 4D, black or white or in colour. That I love. I think my problem is that, I often find myself not too engaged with the piece I am reading therefore becoming bored easily. Unlike with a film, I could go on hours upon hours...binging on movies and feeling engaged emotionally...mentally (even if the movie is not of my favourite genre). I see English Literature as a challenge but I'm trying to change my perspective on it. Maybe I should try reading novels that interests me since I've mainly read our set texts for the course. I have a desire to fall in love with literature, maybe one day I will :smile:

"If you don't like to read, you haven't found the right book yet" - J.K. Rowling.

Literally ignore that poster above. Think they are a troll. Makes absolute no sense.

Have you tried reading different genre of books? If you like things from the newspaper and so forth, how about reading non-fiction stuff like autobiographies? Or how about you read a novel alongside watching the film that mirrors the plot of the novel? I don't mean at the same time of course, but read a few chapters of the novel, then switch to the movie and so forth? That could give you some imagination? Have you tried audiobooks? Rather than reading, try listening to someone else read? That might allow you to focus on you imagining what's being said. You can put all your effort into this, instead of reading, imagining all at the same time?

Yeah, I suggest you read some different genres. If you have one particular film genre like horror, read horror texts or thrillers and stuff like that. I think you should start with that.

You may never love reading or studying Literature. You can't force it. I didn't grow into it until the end of year 11 when my Year 11 English teacher inspired me. Maybe you just need to look for some inspiration!
Reply 10
"If you don't like to read, you haven't found the right book yet" - J.K. Rowling.
!

This was amazing advice, oh em gee thank you so much! The J.K Rowling quote, my teacher always says the same thing lol but it's so true. For my coursework where we had to do independent study, I tried forcing myself to read a book which I found complexly boring hence led to me starting this thread in an outcry for help. However, I've currently changed the book and I'm loving it. I guess it's because I can relate more to the second one though it meant me spending more money on buying another online.
Yea, I've recently started listening to audio books which has helped. I love how portable the method is, literally when I'm washing the dishes or doing any thing where my hands are occupied I can just blast out a chapter from my phone. Hopefully I'll find some inspiration, fingers crossed :smile: thanks so much <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending