The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

About to Reject LSE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Roryd9
Please convince me otherwise: really not sure what to do...

I have an offer to study Econ at LSE, but I'm very close to turning it down for Edinburgh (also Econ).
This is mainly due to 3 things:
1) Worried I won't be able to cope with the workload (have never done Economics).
2) Living costs/ quality of life in London (do I really want 3 years of struggling?).
3) Family telling me Edinburgh's reputation as an 'Ancient' reputation is much better.

Am I an idiot?

Look go for LSE. You have been given a fantastic opportunity that most people can only dream of. As for the workload it is three years of your life and a stroll for the next 60. Don't make the mistake of going to Edinburgh. Seriously. You will have higher career prospects of you go to LSE. Mark my words. Choose LSE
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
Original post by SGHD26716
Look go for LSE. You have been given a fantastic opportunity that most people can only dream of. As for the workload it is three years of your life and a stroll for the next 60. Don't make the mistake of going to Edinburgh. Seriously. You will have higher career prospects of you go to LSE. Mark my words. Choose LSE

You're so confident about this it's making me even more worried, but thanks I think you're right
Reply 42
Original post by Princepieman
Yep, they mysteriously removed it in 2011 without telling anyone, basically screwing over all the Scottish students that were currently studying in London. It's also the reason I can't go to UCL - even if I'm getting the full amount + grant from UCL, I won't have much left.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep- I can't believe they removed it, makes things incredibly difficult for all of us. However, keep in mind there are options such as private funding, various forms of financial support, and employment (London wages are good) to help.
Original post by Roryd9
Yep- I can't believe they removed it, makes things incredibly difficult for all of us. However, keep in mind there are options such as private funding, various forms of financial support, and employment (London wages are good) to help.

Tbh, I don't really want to stress myself out with all of that. I've got an offer from Warwick which is as good, in some respects better actually in terms of their Maths dept, for the career I want to get into. I'll most likely end up in London after uni anyway - hopefully with a solid job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This isn't wholly accurate.. A lot of opportunities are available from LSE but you have to actually be good enough to get them. Likewise, a top notch individual with tonnes of leadership experience/work experience from Edinburgh would outcompete an average LSE student for top jobs. There are no guarantees in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think anyone with common sense would be able to deduce that from what I wrote. I was, of course, being general.
Reply 45
Original post by jco19
LSE is always the better choice because of the brand recognition. However;

- Teaching at LSE is ****
- LSE halls are ****
- It's full of spoiled rich kids who don't have a clue about the real world
- Staff are self-interested. They have a very candid 'why are you wasting my time' attitude.
- There is very little social life, but it's easy (actually easier) to make friends elsewhere in London
- Currently half the campus is torn up for redevelopment
- Good luck ever finding a library seat unless you wake up at 5 am

- Some is. I've some unbelievably bad teachers, and some incredible ones.
- Pretty easy to avoid the spoiled rich kids in my experience. Also, not a lot of Unis are full of 18 year olds who know about 'the real world'
- I don't get that vibe at all. Every single one of my lecturers have open door policies and I've spoken to 4 different academics about my dissertation and 3 are happy to by my supervisor
- My social life is A+ and I'd say my friends were about 60% or so LSE.
- This is a joke. It's really, really :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: and IMO it's almost a poetic illustration of how little the non-academic school management care about the every day student
- Lol tru but the library so so soul crushingly bad I'd rather not be in there anyway!
Mate, dont be stupid, just go to LSE.
edinburgh is a good university but you're ****ing stupid to turn down LSE for economics
Original post by Firestartc
Mate, dont be stupid, just go to LSE.

The thread is old

Posted from TSR Mobile
The thread is old

Posted from TSR Mobile

Holy s***, you still exist? You are legit always on tsr! Soo, how's life? Which uni did you firm in the end?
(edited 7 years ago)
Holy s***, you still exist? You are legit always on tsr! Soo, how's life? Which uni did you firm in the end?

Lol, I have to be here as a mod. Pretty crap tbh, 5 more exams left and already done 11 - motivation is dying. Warwick mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by Roryd9
Please convince me otherwise: really not sure what to do...

I have an offer to study Econ at LSE, but I'm very close to turning it down for Edinburgh (also Econ).
This is mainly due to 3 things:
1) Worried I won't be able to cope with the workload (have never done Economics).
2) Living costs/ quality of life in London (do I really want 3 years of struggling?).
3) Family telling me Edinburgh's reputation as an 'Ancient' reputation is much better.

Am I an idiot?

Yes you are an idiot

Investment Banks HEADHUNT from LSE

Get a part time job to cope with London cost of living

Sorted
Reply 52
i knew someone who rejected cambridge to go to queen mary LOL
"parents want me to be closer to home" :/
i got an offer from lse, but aqa ****ed me over with my maths exams so i dont think im getting in... but i would choose lse lol
Original post by SSJ100
Yes you are an idiot

Sorted

I think I restarted an old thread. Pretty sure he has firmed his choices by now. hehe xD
Also, pretty sure a part time job want cut all the costs, you will still have a large debt but overall LSE is #worth
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Arima
i knew someone who rejected cambridge to go to queen mary LOL
"parents want me to be closer to home" :/

For which course? dafaq :?
Reply 56
For which course? dafaq :?

i don't even know it might've been history
Original post by SSJ100
Yes you are an idiot

Sorted

Since when?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SSJ100
Yes you are an idiot

Sorted

No- while you are a student at any university, you have to look for the internship opportunities yourself and apply to these yourself. You don't get "headhunted" like good workers get headhunted by rival employers.

Banks do target certain universities- these are LSE, UCL, Oxbridge, Imperial and Warwick. This means you are more likely to apply successfully for internships if you go to one of these.
Original post by Trapz99
No- while you are a student at any university, you have to look for the internship opportunities yourself and apply to these yourself. You don't get "headhunted" like good workers get headhunted by rival employers.

Banks do target certain universities- these are LSE, UCL, Oxbridge, Imperial and Warwick. This means you are more likely to apply successfully for internships if you go to one of these.

Well, you can.. But only for some buyside shops like Blackstone, Silver Lake etc.. But they don't specifically headhunt from LSE, they look at Linkedin for past GS/MS/JPM interns.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending