The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Computing F453 Official Thread 22/06/2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

I've seen mention of the algorithms from earlier, but was taught that you can't delete nodes, instead, mark them as null and skip them. I guess it depends on the question.
Let's face it; OCR probably don't even know the algorithm for it.
Original post by ryanroks1
Let's face it; OCR probably don't even know the algorithm for it.

If they do nobody will get it spot on or agree with it :smile:

Maybe an 8 marker on lexical analysis, syntax analysis, code generation and optimisation? (Compilation)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by King_Kauko

Maybe an 8 marker on lexical analysis, syntax analysis, code generation and compilation?

Possibly yeah. Maybe a compare / contrast question on declarative and procedural languages too.
Original post by ryanroks1
Possibly yeah. Maybe a compare / contrast question on declarative and procedural languages too.

Sounds good to me.

I sort of want to do this...

Total content - (2015 paper content) = content coming up tomorrow most likely

Maybe an 8 marker on lexical analysis, syntax analysis, code generation and optimisation? (Compilation)

Too many topics for an 8 marker, in 2010 they did an 8 marker solely on lexical analysis
Original post by Aydin7
Too many topics for an 8 marker, in 2010 they did an 8 marker solely on lexical analysis

Very true! and I wouldn't disagree.

I just feel the 6-8 markers are the grade changers and I hope we don't get one that stumps us/topic your not very confident on.

Its difficult to predict what could come up. Maybe flat file vs relational?
Original post by William_Hand
Use a stack. Imagine that any operations are "Heavy" and crush the two numbers below into the result.

Stacks can also be used. Either way is acceptable.
Very true! and I wouldn't disagree.

I just feel the 6-8 markers are the grade changers and I hope we don't get one that stumps us/topic your not very confident on.

Its difficult to predict what could come up. Maybe flat file vs relational?

That did come up in 2014, so it might reappear. I think RISC and CISC will appear in some form in the paper, one of lexical analysis/code generation, and interrupt handling, as these topics haven't come up in at least a year.
Original post by Dapperblook22
That did come up in 2014, so it might reappear. I think RISC and CISC will appear in some form in the paper, one of lexical analysis/code generation, and interrupt handling, as these topics haven't come up in at least a year.

What sort of thing do you think could appear regarding interrupt handling?

Pros of using library routines and how they are used could come up to.
What sort of thing do you think could appear regarding interrupt handling?

Pros of using library routines and how they are used could come up to.

Interrupt handling I think could be stating different kinds of interrupts, why the interrupts need a priority and how an interupt is detected and serviced during the FDE cycle
Can anyone show me any examples of them asking about linked lists? I know I learnt it, but I think it's included on TeachICT, but I have never seen a past paper question, and I can't find it on the spec anywhere: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/70162-specification.pdf
They may ask a question like...

"Describe the use and contents of CIR" or MAR or MDR or PC
Could someone please help me with this question.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

I do not understand why there is a loop on alarm also the marking point.

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:
Original post by Alfie90
Could someone please help me with this question.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

I do not understand why there is a loop on alarm also the marking point.

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

I think somebody has already asked this, check back in the thread!
Any differences between an absolute address and base address? Seem to be used interchangeably by OCR in the mark schemes
I believe in relative adressing, the Base Adress is what you start with as a reference and then the Absolute Address, or the offset, is what you add to the Base Address to get the Real Address. I think that's as much as you have to remember, correct if I'm wrong.

And yeah, sometimes I wonder what kind of professional made the questions :biggrin:

Especially the ultra-contradictory RPN (if you know what I mean).
I'm hoping the 8 marker will be on virtual memory and we can just run wild and write about why it's needed and how it works and then about disk threshing
Reply 258
Anyone else struggling with UML diagrams? Any tips/resources?
Can anyone clarify the RISC and CISC clock cycles? I thought each single instruction for RISC took (ideally) one clock cycle and a single CISC instruction may take many clock cycles but doing a task using RISC would take many as lots of instructions would be needed to do a task that could be done in a single CISC instruction. I've just done the jan 10 paper though the question asked about single instructions but the mark scheme went on about task so RISC would take more than CISC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending