The Student Room Group

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lfcrules
two i think , theres normally two marks just for getting the answer innit

Damn.

Oh well 73/75 hopefully still a shot at 100UMS
On this page there is the full paper if anyone wants to make solutions.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4178403&page=22
The markscheme
Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 17.30.19.png

On this question (2b i think), I factorised a -4 from the top after differentiation then cancelled out by an x^2+5 from top and bottom..... Was that okay of me doing that?
Original post by Sapereaude54
Oh, I thought it was only a 2 mark question? one mark sounds about right, I mean in the ggraph transformation for c1 there was usually at leat one mark for the correct shape.
Also, do you think you could show me step by step how to solve question 8b), even now I have no clue.
The question was cot(x)=1/3cosec^2x-2/3. That was as far as i got before I was completely confused

I haven't seen the question :redface: I see then. If you're lucky, you'll get 1 mark. But even if you drop 2 here, it won't be huuuugely significant.

Is the question cotx=cosecx2x323 cotx = \frac{cosecx^2x}{3} - \frac{2}{3}? If so, it looks like you just substitute cot in and make a quadratic.
Original post by dlc_01
I completely messed up this exam. :frown: I think I'm gonna get 60 UMS. Is it still possible to get an A overall having 86 average from last year? Also, I'm doing D2 as part of AS further maths, it can count towards my maths if I get a high mark in it, right?

I'm in a very similar position to you, let's hope the grade boundaries are lenient this year. The paper with the lowest boundaries was June 2013 and i'm 100% that this paper was harder so I guess we should have some luck on that front
Original post by jshep000
The markscheme

Forgot to add 3c to that- here it is
IMG_2703.jpg
Original post by NotoriousS
Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 17.30.19.png

On this question (2b i think), I factorised a -4 from the top after differentiation then cancelled out by an x^2+5 from top and bottom..... Was that okay of me doing that?

No because the top simplified to 4(5-x^2)
Original post by veldt127
Forgot to add 3c to that- here it is
IMG_2703.jpg

I can remember me getting the values above, but I don't think I remember this part of the question LOL
71-73/75 woooo
Any decent estimates for how many marks to get 90 UMS?
On the 2cot2x + tanx = cotx question in part b. My polynomial was y2 - 3y - 1 = 0. I did complete the square and I put
(y + 3/2)2 - 13/4 = 0. Which is wrong, should be -3/2. I found solutions but they are wrong. How many marks will I lose out of the 6?
Original post by SirRaza97
On the 2cot2x + tanx = cotx question in part b. My polynomial was y2 - 3y - 1 = 0. I did complete the square and I put
(y + 3/2)2 - 13/4 = 0. Which is wrong, should be -3/2. I found solutions but they are wrong. How many marks will I lose out of the 6?

**** lel i used the casio 991 and directly got the solutions and forgot to put the working down
Original post by 1017bsquad
So was it 1/2cosec(4y) ? that was the question about stating what p and q was right?

Yes to both I have the working out for it done if you'd like to see it
wt do you reckon 62/75 will be in ums
How many points will i loose if i have wrong 7 a) and in Q8 b) i wrote just two values not 4 ?
for 4a ii
instead of ln 2.5 i put (ln6.25)/2 (same value but not simplified) will i lose marks? it did say give it in its simplest form though... how many marks will i lose then
(edited 7 years ago)
guesses on 100 ums
What does everyone think 90 UMS will be? Think I got around 67.
Original post by yowenni
guesses on 100 ums

73/74

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending