The Student Room Group

Going through a "cancer scare".

Anonymous for obvious reasons.

I am a young, fairly healthy girl in mid 20's, recently had some right upper tummy pain and went to the GP to get it investigated. The scan has now shown a mass in my liver, and waiting for an MRI - they think it is probably a haemangioma (harmless) but need to rule out more serious cause.

Basically, I'm bloody terrified! The doctors have been very supportive and positive saying that it is probably just an incidental finding, but I've not been sleeping well as worrying about it being the worst case scenario.

Believe it or not I'm most scared about the phone call telling me the results - the last time I was phoned in the evening on the same day of the scan to let me know about the mass and got probably the biggest fright of my life.

I guess I just need to know whether anyone has been through something like this before and come through it reassured? It's quite a lonely way to feel.

x
Reply 1
I had a scare similar to that around last year, honestly it was terrifying, i felt like I was going to die and would find any way to justify my reasoning. Honestly, our minds just trick us to think the worst, it's soooo unlikely there's anything wrong with you at such a young age :smile:
Don't Worry, and i hope your results are good and you stop worrying
Reply 2
Hey,
I have had cancer before...I completely understand everything you are going through..and it perfectly normal to be going through something like this...You just have to be confident and hope for the best in times like this...if you want you can PM me..I hope it goes well for you....and you're not diagnosed with it...good luck!
Reply 3
im going through a cervical cancer scare as we speak!
Two years ago I had a growth on my left testicle*. During the process of seeing the doctor, having a scan, waiting for the diagnosis and then treatment, I decided not to worry. If it turned out to be cancer, then worrying wouldn't have helped. If it turned out to be benign, then worrying once again wouldn't have helped. It was benign.

* I looked like I was the inspiration for the limerick, 'There was a young man from Devizes'!
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Anonymous for obvious reasons.

I am a young, fairly healthy girl in mid 20's, recently had some right upper tummy pain and went to the GP to get it investigated. The scan has now shown a mass in my liver, and waiting for an MRI - they think it is probably a haemangioma (harmless) but need to rule out more serious cause.

Basically, I'm bloody terrified! The doctors have been very supportive and positive saying that it is probably just an incidental finding, but I've not been sleeping well as worrying about it being the worst case scenario.

Believe it or not I'm most scared about the phone call telling me the results - the last time I was phoned in the evening on the same day of the scan to let me know about the mass and got probably the biggest fright of my life.

I guess I just need to know whether anyone has been through something like this before and come through it reassured? It's quite a lonely way to feel.

x

Liver cancers are extremely rare in people under 60 and almost unheard of in people of your age. So keep holding onto that thought and try not to let anxiety take over. I'm sure it will be something benign.
Reply 6
Hello all

Sorry for the delay and thank you so much for the reassuring replies. Naf_a, I hope you've made a recovery, thanks for sharing your story :smile:

I'm feeling a bit better about things since posting this but still having moments of panic. As much as I try to be rational and reiterate the statistics, it sometimes feels like I will be the exception.

I went to the gp who gave me a bit of reassurance and offered some medication or time off work, which I declined. I guess the fact I'm still waiting for the MRI shows they can't be that worried - it's been 3 weeks since the ultrasound and the MRI request was put through as routine.
Reply 7
So the scan is tomorrow, and I am terrified. Not of getting the scan, but that I might get an unexpected urgent phone call about the results (as happened on the day of the ultrasound). I'm having more and more frequent moments where i am convinced it's going to be a cancer of some sort and I cannot get it out of my head, despite reassurance.

It doesn't help that Google comes up with "liver cancer" and "liver metastases" as the first 2 results when I type in MRI liver!!

I've almost managed to convince myself it'll be an adenoma, as from reading that seems to fit with me.

Gah
Reply 8
Also had an update, it seems I misheard the gp on the phone and what he actually said was that the appearances weren't typical for a haemangioma, and that's why they have to investigate it
Original post by Anonymous
Also had an update, it seems I misheard the gp on the phone and what he actually said was that the appearances weren't typical for a haemangioma, and that's why they have to investigate it

I would suggest you stop eating everything apart from just necessary foods. This will at least help in not worsening you condition. Or sooner or later it might develop anyways because it seems like your stomach is already defective.

Quick Reply

Latest